3 months from order to delivery ?

Bald Reynard

• 1 month later...

We ordered our car in the last week of October, and we rushed it at the time because the dealer told us only orders before the end of October were guaranteed the low VAT rate. The car has now arrived and in thephone call telling us we could pick it up, the dealer (Bristol Skoda) told us we'd have to pay extra for the VAT increase. Nothing was mentioned in any phone calls before this and from the start we were told delivery was usually 6-8 weeks, but because they were quite busy, delivery was likely going to be early January. We haven't got anything about the VAT protection in writing and the dealer is denying everything, although we clearly remember this is what we were told. Not very happy and we were really looking forward to our Skoda before this!

We ordered our car in the last week of October, and we rushed it at the time because the dealer told us only orders before the end of October were guaranteed the low VAT rate. The car has now arrived and in thephone call telling us we could pick it up, the dealer (Bristol Skoda) told us we'd have to pay extra for the VAT increase. Nothing was mentioned in any phone calls before this and from the start we were told delivery was usually 6-8 weeks, but because they were quite busy, delivery was likely going to be early January. We haven't got anything about the VAT protection in writing and the dealer is denying everything, although we clearly remember this is what we were told. Not very happy and we were really looking forward to our Skoda before this!

Hi and welcome to the SMOC.

Sorry to hear things have not gone to plan, all I can advise is to check the small print on your paperwork, I know that on the back off my invoice it stated that any change in price should be notified to the customer and within 14 days of this notification you have the right to cancel with a full refund of any deposit.

hope that's of some help.

TP

edit typo

Edited by The Plumber

I know that up in my corner of scotland my skoda-man has honoured the verbal agreement not to pass on the vat increase!

Ok this doesn't help you out of your current dilemma though if you IM me via Briskoda I'll send you details of my dealer and the "deal" to hold up as an example.

If you do end up paying the VAT increase, you could try haggling for some free servicing (what they pay for parts / oil isn't what you pay for it !).

Coudl also try your local citizens advice / trading standards / lawyer (do you have "free" cover with an insurance policy ?

I paid my deposit in November, and have an invoice showing a balance to pay when I collect this month. I'm not expecting to pay any more than on the invoice. I'm trading in, and the value of the trade in was adjusted to value it in January from both an age and mileage perspective - i.e. when the delaer knew that sale would occur. On this basis, the dealer should have also factored in the January VAT rate.

Was you part-ex price agreed and locked in ? If so, I'd argue that the change in VAT should have been included in the sums.

You could try speaking to Skoda UK?

They're doing the Octavia, Roomster and Fabia VAT free (vat paid by Skoda) until the end of January so you think they'd stretch to paying your couple of percent on a Yeti as not to **** off a new customer!

I know that up in my corner of scotland my skoda-man has honoured the verbal agreement not to pass on the vat increase!

Ok this doesn't help you out of your current dilemma though if you IM me via Briskoda I'll send you details of my dealer and the "deal" to hold up as an example.

The laws of Scotland are often different for those in England and Wales. Possibly you were better protected. I know that verbal agreements can be enshrined in Law in Scotland

It looked a possibility that the delivery of my CR170 would fall the wrong side of the VAT increase what with delayed build date, the tracking system update, Christmas etc. There was no hesitation from my dealer, in writing (Allams of Epsom), that I would not be charged the extra VAT or any Skoda-induced price increase and that my trade in value would stand.

I think it came up before in an earlier thread how different manufacturers were dealing with the VAT increase. I would approach the dealer (and Skoda UK) and plead your case - ie to keep you a happy customer and say that you know other dealers have done the honourable thing.

As Gilesmengland sasid, if you try and barter for dealer fitted options or servicing then you win and they don't lose the whole amount and keep you as a customer. Good luck.

Call his bluff ! Theres no way he'd want to be left with a car, looking for a new buyer (and the uncertainties that involves) , for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds. Say, "unless he sticks to the AGREED deal, you're pulling out". My bet is he'll relent and go ahead at the old VAT rate - and you can point out that everyone else on Briskoda who ordered in October, with January delivery, has had the VAT held (and you'll be letting all on the Briskoda website know how sh*te Bristol Skoda are - and a possible consequent loss of many sales !).

Edited by Bald Reynard

and you'll be letting all on the Briskoda website know how sh*te Bristol Skoda are - and a possible consequent loss of many sales !

Think you've already done that !

Agree with what you say though - no one Yeti seems to be the same as another, and are built to order, so it is a risk from the Dealer's perspective.