1 month of ownership

Yonderend

From reading the various posts on the forum I realise that most people have their Yeti on order, so I thought it would be useful to briefly describe my experience after 1 month of ownership.

I have driven 1400 miles with no issues whatsover. I have travelled motorways, A & B roads, and urban streets. I have transported a fridge, as well as kitchen units. My average fuel consumption is now up at 44 mpg. I haven't taken it off road, but I am sure I will experience snow and slush in the next month or so, which is the primary reason I wanted a 4x4 vehicle.

Skoda have produced an excellent vehicle at a competitive price

Thank you for your input! It good to know that your driving happily and issue free. Some times we form negative views about vehicles because usually it is the problem issues that we hear about the most. Approximately what part of Scotland are you.

Ah, I lived in Glasgow for a short time, I was at Strathclyde Uni. The Cairngorm's receive a good bit of snow. Buy some winter tyres because 4x4 capability only gives extra traction going forward. 4x4 vehicles do not have any advantage when trying to stop nor do they prevent one from sliding off the road.

Anthony,

I meant to say that I have yet to see another YETI on the road.

Snap, mine seems to be the only Yeti about. My monster has just completed 2000. and returns 42 mpg town driving. Well pleased.

Hi Yonderend,.................glad to hear your Snow-monster is going so well. Enjoying mine too albeit the added bit of creaking.................D-day tomorrow, going in for the new trim panels so fingers crossed. Will be at a loss as what to do next if they don't work.

Hi Plumber,

I really hope the new trim panels fix the creaking/rattling issue you have.

Many thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Unfortunately she is still with the dealer; they found another noise from the steering column area. Transpires this is also a known issue as well.

On top of this they are investigating with little success why the other day I got a subdued thumping noise from the engine bay for a short time after start-up, followed later in the journey by high idle speeds at just over 1000rpm. Not happened since and no fault codes showing on the diagnostic; great.

Beginning to wonder if I have the runt of the litter here; poor Snow-monster.

Oh anybody got some touch up paint, lorry FOD took a chunk out of the middle of the bonnet and nicked the windscreen yesterday; double great.

Grumble over many thanks for 'listening'

Unfortunately she is still with the dealer; they found another noise from the steering column area. Transpires this is also a known issue as well.

On top of this they are investigating with little success why the other day I got a subdued thumping noise from the engine bay for a short time after start-up, followed later in the journey by high idle speeds at just over 1000rpm. Not happened since and no fault codes showing on the diagnostic; great.

Oh anybody got some touch up paint, lorry FOD took a chunk out of the middle of the bonnet and nicked the windscreen yesterday; double great.

Really unlucky Plumber. So far so good with mine but I have only done 300 miles........

Well back from the dealers and not what I expected. Not changed the trim panels, found the noise to be coming from the dash after all. Fitted some kind of tape between various bits of dash and trim.

All quiet again until I hit the particularly bad section of road that scuppered the last repair; came out the other end almost but not quite rattle free, so will see how things go.

Not able to reproduce the bizarre thumping or idle issue, so fingers x that was Yeti having a one off grumpy morning.

Otherwise thoroughly enjoying the Yeti experience, great to drive, comfy and pretty economical for a running in engine.

• Like 1

I wonder if Orthopeadic Felt will fit either into the recess dividing the parts or to adhere to the underside of the offending panel and so damping and changing its resinating frequency.

Orthopeadic Felt is a felt for those who may not know, is used in Hospitals for protecting edges or padding out orthosis and things to prevent chaffing. It is available in various thicknesses and can be bought with adhesive backing. I should image that it could be ordered from any local Chemist.

Hi!

I wonder where your dealer are getting all the "known issues" from? I work at a dealer, and the only things I get out of the "dealer system" concerning Yeti cars are:

- Park assist not working, solution: New software in Park assist ECU

- Defective bulbs warning in the Maxi-Dot even if the bulb is OK affects only a small series of cars, solution: New software in BCM/ J-519, new software not yet released in Norway.

- New Engine software on a small series of Yetis with the 1,2 TSI engine because of high exhaust temperature with the original software. New software not yet released in Norway.

I was just out with my car and had the same 1000 rpm's idle, slightly different engine note, cooling fans running and a different smell from the exhaust, and I am sure it's just the DPF regenerating. Nothing to worry about, and you could help the car by taking it for a drive with calm throttle movements, a bit of load on the engine and around 1600-2200 rpm's. If the regeneration gets interrupted before it has burned off the soot several times it will tell you to take it for a drive to clear out the DPF by lighting up the warning lamp in the instrument.

A tech at your dealer could read out how long since the last DPF regeneration with a dealer diagnostics tool to have this confirmed :)

:)

• Like 1

Hi!

I wonder where your dealer are getting all the "known issues" from? I work at a dealer, and the only things I get out of the "dealer system" concerning Yeti cars are:

- Park assist not working, solution: New software in Park assist ECU

- Defective bulbs warning in the Maxi-Dot even if the bulb is OK affects only a small series of cars, solution: New software in BCM/ J-519, new software not yet released in Norway.

- New Engine software on a small series of Yetis with the 1,2 TSI engine because of high exhaust temperature with the original software. New software not yet released in Norway.

I was just out with my car and had the same 1000 rpm's idle, slightly different engine note, cooling fans running and a different smell from the exhaust, and I am sure it's just the DPF regenerating. Nothing to worry about, and you could help the car by taking it for a drive with calm throttle movements, a bit of load on the engine and around 1600-2200 rpm's. If the regeneration gets interrupted before it has burned off the soot several times it will tell you to take it for a drive to clear out the DPF by lighting up the warning lamp in the instrument.

A tech at your dealer could read out how long since the last DPF regeneration with a dealer diagnostics tool to have this confirmed :)

:)

Hi JonA,

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Not had the DPF light come on so far (thank goodness). I have a 37 mile cross country commute to work, plus a steep uphill to contend with on the way home which I think helps keep it clean. Must admit that I had not thought of the DPF as the answer. The puzzle though is the strange knocking/thumping I got at start up that same morning; like the rpm not had a repeat occurrence since then (fingers X).

Interesting to note that rattles do not come up on your dealer system, I certainly have had plenty of noise coming from the dash area on mine. Still ongoing unfortunately but very intermittent from around the central ventilation/dash top storage bin area. Never had a car with such a bad case of dash rattle.

Hi JonA,

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Not had the DPF light come on so far (thank goodness). I have a 37 mile cross country commute to work, plus a steep uphill to contend with on the way home which I think helps keep it clean. Must admit that I had not thought of the DPF as the answer. The puzzle though is the strange knocking/thumping I got at start up that same morning; like the rpm not had a repeat occurrence since then (fingers X).

Interesting to note that rattles do not come up on your dealer system, I certainly have had plenty of noise coming from the dash area on mine. Still ongoing unfortunately but very intermittent from around the central ventilation/dash top storage bin area. Never had a car with such a bad case of dash rattle.

I think I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to rattles from pretty much everywhere.. My car rattles/creaks from area above drivers head/panorama roof on uneven roads/snow covered roads, from various parts of the dashboard and instrument binnacle now and then, A-pillars and tops it of with a terrible vibration sound from the centre safetybelt reel on snow covered/uneven icy roads. I'm not happy with the sounds at all, and i keep hoping for enough complaints to make Skoda come up with solutions to at least some of the most common rattles. The problem is that all the other Yeti's I have driven have felt really solid and well built, so the problem might not be common enough..

I have used felt tape on the instrument housing and surrounding areas to cure some squeaking sounds, and it has helped to some extent, but there are still plenty of sounds to hunt down and try to get rid of :dull:

I absolutely love the rest of the car! The way it drives on all surfaces and all types of roads, all it's great features/gizmos, the Webasto in the morning (having the only car outside the building I live with no ice on the windows is priceless) Fuel economy is great (best so far is 4,7l - 100km / 60mpg on a 230km trip down from the mountains), I even like the CR diesel engine much more then I hoped I would :D

I hope we can get theese annoying sounds out of the way, so we can enjoy our new cars the way they are meant to be enjoyed B)

• Like 1

I think I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to rattles from pretty much everywhere.. My car rattles/creaks from area above drivers head/panorama roof on uneven roads/snow covered roads, from various parts of the dashboard and instrument binnacle now and then, A-pillars and tops it of with a terrible vibration sound from the centre safetybelt reel on snow covered/uneven icy roads. I'm not happy with the sounds at all, and i keep hoping for enough complaints to make Skoda come up with solutions to at least some of the most common rattles. The problem is that all the other Yeti's I have driven have felt really solid and well built, so the problem might not be common enough..

I have used felt tape on the instrument housing and surrounding areas to cure some squeaking sounds, and it has helped to some extent, but there are still plenty of sounds to hunt down and try to get rid of :dull:

I absolutely love the rest of the car! The way it drives on all surfaces and all types of roads, all it's great features/gizmos, the Webasto in the morning (having the only car outside the building I live with no ice on the windows is priceless) Fuel economy is great (best so far is 4,7l - 100km / 60mpg on a 230km trip down from the mountains), I even like the CR diesel engine much more then I hoped I would :D

I hope we can get theese annoying sounds out of the way, so we can enjoy our new cars the way they are meant to be enjoyed B)

Many thanks again.

Interesting you mention particular conditions that set things off. I have the 'Wetwang rattle' after the village and it's surrounding area where I have the most issues in terms of noise. The problem is that this area is over 20miles from the dealer and they can only fix what they can hear.

Trying very hard to overlook this though as like yourself very very pleased with the Yeti, what you might call 'the complete package' when it comes to motoring. It's some of the little details that make all the difference, like the 2 overhead lights that adds a little illumination between the front seats. Glad you also like the CR engine as I know you were interested in the 1.8TSI; sadly to expensive to run. Real pleased with it myself, major improvement over the PD.

The other thing that appears better is the Haldex 4 over the previous Gen 2 that I had on the Golf. The Golf didn't take well to the front and rear wheels on one side being on tarmac with the other side on a wet grass verge. Albeit I have only done this once in the Yeti, she made no fuss even when the wheels on the verge went into a shallow hole.

I take it the Webasto is the preheating system that is sadly not available over here.

Regards,

TP

• Like 1

Not being cruel or anything, but does anyone else wonder if the strange thumping might have been a cat or other small animal that had climbed into the engine bay for warmth??

I had cat in mine a few years back, there wasnt much left of it after my Toyota finished with it (fell onto drive shaft and got shredded, then fell onto the road and got squashed by the rear wheels).)

Many thanks again.

Interesting you mention particular conditions that set things off. I have the 'Wetwang rattle' after the village and it's surrounding area where I have the most issues in terms of noise. The problem is that this area is over 20miles from the dealer and they can only fix what they can hear.

Trying very hard to overlook this though as like yourself very very pleased with the Yeti, what you might call 'the complete package' when it comes to motoring. It's some of the little details that make all the difference, like the 2 overhead lights that adds a little illumination between the front seats. Glad you also like the CR engine as I know you were interested in the 1.8TSI; sadly to expensive to run. Real pleased with it myself, major improvement over the PD.

The other thing that appears better is the Haldex 4 over the previous Gen 2 that I had on the Golf. The Golf didn't take well to the front and rear wheels on one side being on tarmac with the other side on a wet grass verge. Albeit I have only done this once in the Yeti, she made no fuss even when the wheels on the verge went into a shallow hole.

I take it the Webasto is the preheating system that is sadly not available over here.

Regards,

TP

Many thanks again.

Regards,

TP

The Webasto preheater can be bought as an aftermarket accessory, see:

http://www.parkingheater.co.uk/products/parking-heater/compact-car.html

tom