My 18" subwoofer install

18" Monster! A Dual 1ohm SPL Dynamics sub running from a 2500w RMS @ 2ohm amp

I know many of you guys will be thinking WTF! but i just love my incar luxuries too much haha

I will let the pics do the talking ;) .....still far from finished, got my carputer going in as well as another amp and front components. Did the wiring in properly and used OE cabling routes where possible. Was a right pain....

I will build a new box (bigger one) so the sub can be played to its full potential!

Dont use the boot at all, im a young lad, want to enjoy life to the fullest before the kiddies come along lol

Will update this thread as i go along

p.s. also got the car tinted in a medium smoke on the sides and dark on the back windscreen

subwheel.jpg

sub2.jpg

Cabling to go in, Nice Thick 0AWG

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

Bugger of a job getting it through

enginewire.jpg

insidecable.jpg

backcable.jpg

cable2boot.jpg

box1.jpg

LOL!

Thats overkill matey!

My mate use to have two Truhammer amps linked into one Resident Engineering 12" sub that was loud! (broke the tack welds on the boot lock plate)

He then went for a 15" Resident Engineering sub on the same amps, which was even stupider!

I've only got a 12" Alpine Type R 1242D on a Apline MRD600 V12 amp, and thats more than loud enough!

Hope your only using it for competitions! :rofl:

so the sub can be played to its full potential!

Dont use the boot at all, im a young lad, want to enjoy life to the fullest before the kiddies come along lol

Dude with that much bass I doubt kids will be possible!emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

That sub has the potential to blow your knackers clean offemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

That's utterly ridiculous.

I used to have a nice system in my Mk1 Octavia , but I stuck to a 12" sub that left some room in the boot so it was still a useable space.

You couldn't use the power without going deaf , so what's the point?

Well... a bigger sub will get lower frequencies, basically. It's "looser", whereas a smaller one will be "tighter".

It's roughly:

10" - metal/rock/house

12" - general/hip-hop

15" - dandelion and burdock

So an 18" can just get lower, but will a lot less punchy. What's the point?

I dont see the point either. A sub that size is designed to be used in a space much much larger than a car passenger cabin. We have them that size in a theatre auditorium. The thing is just to big, you may think that it will give you a good bass response, and it will in an auditorium. A car is just the wrong place for something that size, the repsonse will be lazy and it just wont sound right. Then you have the problems of having so much bass in the proximity of windows, welds, and so on.

• Like 1

Doesnt it run the risk of shattering your windows?

I saw a Ford Bronco on TV that had to have the glass replaced with strengtened plexiglass stuff.

The air movement caused by the speakers was immense.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.10/stereocar_pr.html

I doubt yours will come close, but I wonder if your rear screen will handle it

Nice all black look btw, am going for that look on my octy 2 in the new year

Edited by Rhoobarb

So many wrong comments, as usual when a car audio post crops up on a non car audio related site ;)

I know where that box and sub came from and it will get very loud and proud indeed.

Not my cup of tea tbh, but should be immense.

Although I hope you have a decent charging system and more than 1 run of 0AWG if you intend to be burping or playing heavy street bass.

wat is so point less about a 62" tv it makes viewing p*rn brilliant and this man is a genius for finding and installing the perfect sized box and sub for an octavia so dont put him down

not to let u down matey but wat ever uve heard about blowing womens clothes off with music it just doesn't happen sorry to inform u

if i had the room id do the same

shreads

PMSL!!!! Thats bigger than my REL Storm Hi-Fi sub!! Bloody Hell!!!

I assume the next job will be some metail bars to hold the windows in from the overpressure?! Good job mate - keep it up!!!