55 Radio upgrade

dsr

Hi,

I I have a 55 plate Ambiente with the cd changer in the boot. I want to be able to play MP3's. Can I replace the disc changer in the boot with a hard disk unit that I can shove my MP3's on to or do I have to upgrade the whole thing, including the unit in the cockpit ?

Regards,

D

Or if you want something else a little more oem and in keeping with what was available at the time then get an Audience headunit. This can play MP3 CDs from its internal six disc changer.

Interesting suggestions thanks.

What sort of financial damage am I looking at and how available is this sort of kit ?

I can fit it myself, but do any of them require vag-com to fit ?

+Edit. Any of them work with DAB or is it just a waste of time on the move ?

Thanks

D

Edited by dsr

It sounds like a Stream MP3 would suit your needs :)

This will still retain the multi CD player in the boot too :)

the bolero also has the ability to keep the external cd changer aswell as its own internal changer, though id be more tempted to replace it with MDI

the bolero also has the ability to keep the external cd changer aswell as its own internal changer, though id be more tempted to replace it with MDI

Less chance of getting your dash ripped apart with a Stream, and they can be picked up quite cheap on here :)

I got mine for about £60 :)

Come on guys, you'll have to help me here :S

I got even more confused using the forum search facility :(

Is a "Stream" a type of radio or is it an extra bit that goes in the boot ?

It's a bit irritating that the radio or the disc changer won't recognise CD's with MP3's on and the 'MIX' feature only mixes the selected disc.

TTFN

D

Edited by dsr

Just been out after browsing the forums and checked and my radio says "Stream" on it. Do I already have a "Stream" or do I need a different one ?

D

Thanks Simbo. I don't know why I couldn't work that out for myself - maybe it's been a long day :(

Next questions :-

1) Where's the MDI input that the radio manual tells me about ?

2) Bolero, Columbus, MDI - what are these ?

If I have to change the radio, I want to make an informed choice.

D

It's a cable that plugs into the back of the head unit & allows you to connect an iPod cable or USB socket & the radio controls the music selection...

Don't think the Stream or Stream MP3 can use MDI?! Happy to be corrected if it can...

I have a Stream MP3 with MDI - and i use my IPOD Classic 80Gb connected to the Stream MP3 - I never use the CD. The Stream MP3 controls 5 playlists and a random list. The Skoda IPOD connector (VAG), does not show the playlist names on the display, however, it works fine - OK I had to follow the guide in this forum to make it sound right, as two wires must be switched around (2008 unit).

I have a Stream MP3 with MDI - and i use my IPOD Classic 80Gb connected to the Stream MP3 - I never use the CD. The Stream MP3 controls 5 playlists and a random list. The Skoda IPOD connector (VAG), does not show the playlist names on the display, however, it works fine - OK I had to follow the guide in this forum to make it sound right, as two wires must be switched around (2008 unit).

If it just gives the 6 playlists and no track info on screen then surely thats not the MDI interface, its just the 'normal' IPod adapter isn't it?

An MDI unit gives full track info on the headunit display.

I have a 55 plate which I bought 2nd hand. 6 months after buying the car, I replaced the original Stream head unit with a Stream MP3 unit that I brought from VRS195 through this forum.

You do have to move the positions of two of the wires that go into the rear block connector - this ensures that the boot CD changer is grounded correctly with the new unit. It's easy to do - there is a guide on the fourm somewhere that another helpful member put together I think. A few months later, once I'd got off my backside, I also added an AUX cable which can be wired into the rear block connector. This allows me to play my walkman phone through the Stream which is useful as it has 4GB of music!

Of course, the Stream MP3 unit also allows me to play MP3 burned discs - note, the CD multichanger can still only play normal CDs.

I fancy the Bolero very much indeed and the COlumbus even more so but finances dictate that I stick with the Stream MP3 and its a pretty good compromise. Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the replies.

How much are the Bolero and Columbus units ?

Though if a Stream MP3 will talk directly to a USB HDD, that will be more than adequate :)

(Added with the edit) What about coding the radio ? If a second hand unit is bought, does it just get recognized or does it need enabling from to talk to the rest of the car ?

Regards,

D

Edited by dsr