OIL CHANGE

Does anybody have the exact oil type for a 2.0 tdi Octy 6sp

I have some 505-01 5/40 fully synthetic which states its for PD engines but not sure if this is ok as the all seem to use different oil!

Bring back the good old days,.. Also is it a big job? I.e. is there an engine cover that needs to come off first or anything else in the way of the sump before I crawl under, on my cold garage floor.

Thanks chaps.

Just jack it up remove the under tray, then you can remove the sum plug, and oil filter from underneath :thumbup:

Are you sure about the filter ; On my 2.0TDI the oil filter would be very difficult to remove from under the car as it sits inside a housing which has a screw plastic cover just under the the inlet manifold.

Does anybody have the exact oil type for a 2.0 tdi Octy 6sp

I have some 505-01 5/40 fully synthetic which states its for PD engines but not sure if this is ok as the all seem to use different oil!

Bring back the good old days,.. Also is it a big job? I.e. is there an engine cover that needs to come off first or anything else in the way of the sump before I crawl under, on my cold garage floor.

Thanks chaps.

505-01 oil should (according to my manual - 2007 VRS) be only used for FIXED service non-DPF diesel engines. 506 01 can be used for FLEXIBLE service non-DPF diesel engines.

All diesels with DPF use 507 00 oil irrespective of service schedule.

Upto 0.5L of 505-01 can be used of flexible service engines in emergencies.

Remove the engine under tray -easy with electric screwdriver especially if screws previously waxoyled.

Undo sump drain bolt with captive washer.

Whilst draining - change filter from above. see pic showing plastic top to be unscrewed to gain access to oli filter - big socker needed but tighten only to torque marked on plastic top. This is awkward on my engine due to the silver pipe in front (this is much easier on Fabia VRS as pipe is not there).

20tdipdvrs02Large.jpg

Replace sump bolt - tighten to specified torque - do not over tighten as the sump thread will be damaged. Ideally bolt and washer should be renewed every time.

Edited by Jules59

Cheers for the replies, I take it the filter isn’t the screw on cartridge type.

just worked out how to post a pic here.

The filter is inside the housing. its not a typical metal cased screw on type but a typical VW paper type. it just pulls out and gets binned. The replacement has a couple of o-rings inc one for the plastic top. All will be obvious once you see the new filter.

Take the top engine cover off too to access the filter housing.

Edited by Jules59

Well, on 1,9 TDI the oilfilter can be seen in this pic of mine - 2.0 TDI is similar, isn't it?

p10001663q67.jpg

Right above the boot-lock......you can see the metal can-shaped housing covered by a black plastic cap, which can be unscrewed with a spanner (is that the word?)

Edited by Octavia1Z

Looks just like my Fabia VRS. -- Plastic Oil Filter cap needs a 32m/m x 6 sided socket, and 19m/m Oil Sump-plug x 6 sided socket for their removal.-- 2 oil seals in filter, small one for base of filter plastic stem and large one for filter cap itself.-- That plastic engine cover can-be removed by quick yank upwards to release front pegs and then, slid/pulled forwards for complete removal, from rear peg/s.-- This will fully expose the filter.-- Be sure to not over-tighten sump plug bolt, a slightly under tightened sump-plug will only just weep oil.--Overtightened sump-plug and strip the alloy thread, you'll be the one that weeps. LOL.----Good-luck.

Edited by giandougl

My Skoda Octavia Technical Data booklet shows :-

2.0-ltr./110 kW FSI : 5.3

2.0-ltr./100 kW TDI PD : 3.8

2.0-ltr./103 kW TDI PD : 3.8

I'd say you need 3.8L. These figures include oil filter change.

D

All done, the oil filter was too long so I had to re-use the old one.

Trust Halfords to give you the wrong one. Anyway I thought the VAG 1.9/2.0 PD diesels all used the same oil filter. Oh well easy to change without loosing your oil when you get the right one. The filters from from VAG/Skoda dealers dont cost much anyway.

Is there any way of getting a bit of oil out of a tdi engine without getting underneath again and removing all the undertray etc? is there anywhere from the top, I have tried with a tube down the dipstick but no good, cheers

I just need to remove half a litre as it’s a bit high on the dipstick, (not dangerously so I don't think) but it needs doing and getting underneath and removing the tray etc again has no appeal in this weather.

And my ribs hurt as I fell of my push bike this morning.

What am I like.

The oil filter chamber might be full of oil.

You could always do what I did once - forgot the oil filter then dumped 5L of GTX out of the fitting when I started the car

D

Is there any way of getting a bit of oil out of a tdi engine without getting underneath again and removing all the undertray etc? is there anywhere from the top, I have tried with a tube down the dipstick but no good, cheers

I have done it through the dipstick with a top lift pump many times and it's fine. Gets all 4L+ out too.