which engine in my new yeti?

oilburninnut

i love the yeti more than ever,trouble with driving position for her is all in her head,she is only 5 feet tall and claims the all round visibility is very poor,she will come round once she has to drive one every day,i think her main problem is the lack of dsg,she loves the dsg box and i promised her she could have it on the next car and now the engine we need doesn't come with dsg.

Is the Yeti not ideal with its elevating seat? My wife is 4' 11" and she has raised her seat to a satisfactory level. She HAS to see out as she drives from the passenger seat!!?! Some other threads suggest that DSG is coming to a greater range of engines in the New Year.

If some one does not like a car for a reason, then that is fair enough. Everyone has a criteria that they have for a car. However, it has to be accurate, the Yeti has some of the best all around vision available in any car today. Seat adjustability is good and the steering wheel is adjustable. 5' is not that small, as far as ease of driving, then the Yeti has a lot going for it. I can not comment on the wing mirrors, I did not have one long enough to find fault. The instrument being obscured by the wheel, that is valid and the mph figures are also badly printed and not easy to tell the exact speed quickly enough. The rest of the car is very good. It might be, that she hankers after another vehicle, something a little more cool in her eyes, not a box on wheels. Perhaps she feels that the Yeti might not be attractive enough to her. These very subjective things are very personal and difficult to dismiss, even though I do not understand them myself as functionality is high on my list priorities and would never choose a car on appearance or its cool rating. If you like it and she not and one reason being the DSG box, then why not wait awhile for it t come out.

Edited by Anthony 1

If some one does not like a car for a reason, then that is fair enough. Everyone has a criteria that they have for a car. However, it has to be accurate, the Yeti has some of the best all around vision available in any car today. Seat adjustability is good and the steering wheel is adjustable. 5' is not that small, as far as ease of driving, then the Yeti has a lot going for it. I can not comment on the wing mirrors, I did not have one long enough to find fault. The instrument being obscured by the wheel, that is valid and the mph figures are also badly printed and not easy to tell the exact speed quickly enough. The rest of the car is very good. It might be, that she hankers after another vehicle, something a little more cool in her eyes, not a box on wheels. Perhaps she feels that the Yeti might not be attractive enough to her. These very subjective things are very personal and difficult to dismiss, even though I do not understand them myself as functionality is high on my list priorities and would never choose a car on appearance or its cool rating. If you like it and she not and one reason being the DSG box, then why not wait awhile for it t come out.

nail on the head,she wants a golf

but she has allready lost as i want a yeti and i'm paying for it,if she wants a golf shes going to have to buy one with her own cash come august,i may wait a little for the dsg to become available on the cr170 tho,they didn't tell me this yesterday

Edited by oilburninnut

will divorce me if i buy it instead of a mk6 golf gti/mk5 golf r32 or the new golf r20 that either is or will be out shortly

This is a no-brainer really now, if she's happy with you getting a Golf R then do it, you'd be mad to pick a Yeti over something like that if you have the budget for it. Also if she's interested in that or an R32 then low running costs cannot be high up on the list, basically this is the green light to get something nice, new and very fast. It just seems utterly pointless to buy a Yeti if she doesn't like it.

Was the CR170 Yeti ever slated to get DSG? I've just failed in finding the original planned production dates thread.

I seem to remember someone saying the torques were too many with the CR170 4x4 with DSG. Certainly the Audi TT TDi with the same engine and running gear isn't available with anything but a manual gearbox.

As for wanting a Golf R32 over a Yeti..... :no: :no: :no:

Was the CR170 Yeti ever slated to get DSG? I've just failed in finding the original planned production dates thread.

I seem to remember someone saying the torques were too many with the CR170 4x4 with DSG. Certainly the Audi TT TDi with the same engine and running gear isn't available with anything but a manual gearbox.

As for wanting a Golf R32 over a Yeti..... :no: :no: :no:

You can get VW Passat CR170 4x4 with DSG

You can get VW Passat CR170 4x4 with DSG

The plot thickens!

In the UK the Tiguan isn't available as CR170 4x4 DSG, only a manual and there don't seem to be any 4x4 Passats available with any engine (a 2WD CR170 DSG is available though)! :S

The plot thickens!

In the UK the Tiguan isn't available as CR170 4x4 DSG, only a manual and there don't seem to be any 4x4 Passats available with any engine (a 2WD CR170 DSG is available though)! :S

Hi aerofurb,

the new Superb II estate appears in 4x4 TDI 170 form to have swapped from manual only (saloon) to DSG only, if the SUK web site is to be believed :rofl:

Regard Yeti TDI DSG, according to ANTS build program up to 30th June 2010 there is only a 140 planned for production starting WK22. After June who knows, maybe ANTS could enlighten us further but I have not seen him post on the SMOC for a while.

Regards,

TP

Definitely nothing to do with excessive torques then! :no:

I think it's the 7spd that's torque limited (used in petrol models) due to being as I understand it a dry rather than wet gearbox, as with the 6 spd version used in the Yeti TDI and other models like the Superb 3.6 V6 4x4.

TP

Edit: typo

Edited by The Plumber

Could the fact that the VAG group have issued so many recalls for the DSG World wide have any significance? In that they obviously have big problems which evidently were first denied but know country by country they appear to be accepting. Also the demand is high and together with the problems can not meet that demand?

This is a no-brainer really now, if she's happy with you getting a Golf R then do it, you'd be mad to pick a Yeti over something like that if you have the budget for it. Also if she's interested in that or an R32 then low running costs cannot be high up on the list, basically this is the green light to get something nice, new and very fast. It just seems utterly pointless to buy a Yeti if she doesn't like it.

trouble is the last good golf vw made is sat outside my house :D

and when finished will be way quicker than a golf r,running costs are not a major issue,but i don't like throwing money down the drain,also i am starting to be tempted to use the yeti as a driving school car,as its really not that big and selling the swift,as i've said when august comes she can buy what she wants but i'm going to have a yeti,and if i use it as a training car it will have to be a manual.

. . . . basically this is the green light to get something nice, new and very fast.

Was this referring to a replacement car or a replacement for his wife :giggle:

One other thing about the manual gear box - it is a delight to use, even when brand new. The throw between gears is much less than my Fabia vRS and the clutch very light (I ended up with a Sachs sports clutch in the vRS after the remap...).

I can agree with that, aerofurb, the car that I drove a 140 manual had an exceptionally good quick change. Even though I was unfamiliar with it, I was very soon swapping cogs as fast as I might have done if I owned it. Just like most of the rest of the car, itis very good.

:no:

it seems you're choosing a diesel Yeti over an R32? Gary, you're a bumder...

;)

but i will soon have a real performance golf,no need to bother with a pretender(and i will need somthing to tow said golf to shows,trackdays ect) can't see an r32 being up to that really,and as i've said before i really do like the yeti :D

but i will soon have a real performance golf,no need to bother with a pretender(and i will need somthing to tow said golf to shows,trackdays ect) can't see an r32 being up to that really,and as i've said before i really do like the yeti :D

what is going on with your Golf? aren't you selling the 1.8T you had for it?

what is going on with your Golf? aren't you selling the 1.8T you had for it?

was kind of talked into keeping it :yes:

and things will progress quickly when i collect the last couple of bits i need to do the conversion

Edited by oilburninnut