which engine in my new yeti?

oilburninnut

i am at the moment pondering which engine i want in my soon to be ordered yeti,i love turbo petrol engines and the 1.8 is top of the list for a want,i would also add some extras as i can never leave anything alone,but the 2.0 tdi 170 allthough diseasal and the fuel of satan is the front runner at the moment as the whole point of buying a yeti is as a cheap family car and have my silly powered silly economy golf as a weekend/track blaster,but as i said earlier i can't leave anything alone so whatever i got would probably end up re mapped at the very least and the petrol varient would probably become silly on juice,so my question to you peeps is what real world mpg of the beasts,and how do you find them to live with?

Edited by oilburninnut

It would be good to hear from anyone who drove both the 1.8 petrol and the 2.0 170 diesel and which they preferred. For me, changing to diesel with my Fabia (from a sporty V6 petrol) has resulted in great economy and a car with huge grunt, but I do miss the "feel" of a petrol.

It would be good to hear from anyone who drove both the 1.8 petrol and the 2.0 170 diesel and which they preferred.

I can't offer a direct comparison but have had a decent drive in both the 1.8 petrol Yeti and a 140 diesel Yeti. The 1.8 actually felt quite disappointingly underpowered (well relative to my expectations at least). The demo vehicle did only have around 1000 miles on it and so would have been fairly tight still, but even making allowances I was underwhelmed. The 140 diesel felt almost on a par in everyday driving. Of course it all depends what your reference points are - the two cars I drive regularly are a 2.4 petrol Accord (188bhp) and a 140ish diesel CRV. The 140 Yeti was certainly sprightlier than the CRV while the 1.8 Yeti was quite a long way behind my current Accord. I've also recently test-driven a 1.4TSi (158bhp IIRC) Golf, which felt significantly more lively than the 1.8 Yeti and almost on a par with the Accord and so this reinforces my opinion that the 1.8 Yeti isn't the ideal configuration for someone wanting a Yeti with extra performance..

I started out thinking that I'd want the 1.8 Yeti, but found the test drive less than compelling. Add in the relatively high (189) CO2 on the petrol Yeti (and poor consumption figures to match - I'm no super-greenie but this next car is going to have to last me a few years and I think the taxation regime is going to regard 189 as a pretty high figure in say 2-3 years time) and I'm now fairly convinced that the 170 diesel would offer me a better balance of performance to emissions, as well as a presumable option to do a conservative chip to 200ish without affecting consumption or emissions too drastically. I've also noticed (again IIRC) that the 140 Yeti isn't red-lined until 5000rpm - not too sure about the 170 but hopefully it's the same - and so the Yeti diesel may be significantly more rev-able and hence more petrol-like than many diesels. Although my Accord isn't red-lined until 7000, in reality I rarely take it above 5000 which still gives me pretty decent performance.

Edited by prodata

If you get the diesel I will slap you :)

unfortunatly it could be down to simple economics mate,how the hell do i convince the wife i'm buying it to be sensible if i end up with a turbo petrol,i think she would see through that,i fancy a 170 so i look respectable instead of everyone looking at me like some boy racer who never grew up,but the petrol has a lot more tuning potential as i imaging the diesel will run out of options at abot 270-300 bhp like the venerable 1.9 does :D

i am at the moment pondering which engine i want in my soon to be ordered yeti,i love turbo petrol engines and the 1.8 is top of the list for a want,i would also add some extras as i can never leave anything alone,but the 2.0 tdi 170 allthough diseasal and the fuel of satan is the front runner at the moment as the whole point of buying a yeti is as a cheap family car and have my silly powered silly economy golf as a weekend/track blaster,but as i said earlier i can't leave anything alone so whatever i got would probably end up re mapped at the very least and the petrol varient would probably become silly on juice,so my question to you peeps is what real world mpg of the beasts,and how do you find them to live with?

I tested the 140 HP Diesel and bought a 170 HP diesel. This was coming from a 140 HP PD in an Octy.

After 1800 km, the every day driveability of the 140 and 170 are more or less the same. Up to 2500 rpm you will not notice much difference in polite advance. The 170 does get a very noticeable additional Oomph after 2500 rpm and continues strongly till over 4000, where the 140 has lost interest.

The power from the 170 is more like a petrol engine with additional torque low down ,but continues to be srong much higher up the rpm range than the 140 - either CR or PD.

Maybe not significant, but the exhaust outlets of the 170 are not the turned down dual diesel style, but larger, round stainless units with a straight cut-off and rolled-in edges. They do let you know your are using power with a polite, but noticeable rumble.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Agerbundsen

Hi Oilburninut,

My previous car was a Seat LEON 150bhp 1.9 PD which was powerful and economic although rather noisy.

I now have a VW with the wonderful 200bhp 2.0 turbo petrol which is so sweet although pretty thirsty especially when hooffed.

Doing a bigger mileage now so have ordered the 140bhp CR SE Yeti

I would have liked the 170 bhp but its only available here in the UK in ‘elegance’ form so couldn’t really justify the extra cost.

I can of course get the 140 remapped in the future if I miss the extra power. :)

On the plus side the CR engine seems much quieter than the old PD engine which is a bonus and I quite like the feel of the Diesel torque again.

Not arriving till march though so just have to wait.

cheers, Dave

thanks for the replys guys,i really am leaning towards the 170,but the fear of a slap from the big man really does mean i need some expieriences of the 1.8t too emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Hi,

I have the 1.8TSi Yeti and I look forward to every trip I take in it (have to make some exuses for doing that from time to time).

I have to say I'm not used to driving diesels so I guess thats one reason for me to go for a petrol engine. I tested the CR140, but I

concluded on too much noise for me. The CR140 was to noisy when doing town driving with stop and start frequently.

Also the petrol takes less time to heat then diesels (I hate it when my neighbour fires up his diesel at 6am and let it run for 30min to heat up).

I also invested in a DEFA warmup system for use in wintertime. I like to enjoy radio and music when driving and want a quiet car to get the most out of the upgraded sound system.

It's a lot more fun when driving the petrol. There's power from low down (15-1600rpm) all the way up which makes this engine so fun to drive.

The possible downside may be fuel consumption. If you drive the fun way it can be high (8.5-9.5l/100km), but if you are gentle on the pedal its acceptable (7-8l/100km).

Even lower if driving on highways without to much uphill driving.

One more + to the petrol is that its better for people struggling with asthma! More diesels means more trouble for people struggling with asthma and related sickness.

seo

Review of the 1.8 here - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1007

c. 32mpg.

Depends what mileage you're doing - also what resale value (diesel will probably be higher ?)

If money were no object, I'd go for the 1.8 and get it superchipped - http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/VAG%201.8%20TSi%20160.pdf

Some interesting tuning/remap figures if you Google.

1.8tsi from 160bhp to 205bhp and 310nm (now that sounds pretty fast)

2.0tdi from 140bhp to 168bhp and 375nm

That's from some German site, the figures seem a bit low, but the Yeti is not yet listed on the major/reputable tuners used in these forums. Looking at what you can do with the Octavia 1.8tsi you get 220bhp and 370nm from Revo (I was driving in a convoy behind one of those at a local meet and I struggled to keep up in my remaped Fabia VRS). The CR 170 gives 208bhp and 430nm :giggle: I assume it's more or less the same engines so some food for thought there.

The thought of a more powerful Yeti but with the benefit of 4WD is quite an interesting one.

Revo do a remap for the 170 TDi CR VAG Engine taking it up to

208 bhp and more importantly 321 ftlbs / 435 Nm

http://www.revotechnik.com/aboutRevo/news/2ltrTDi_cr170.aspx

MAP

http://www.revotechnik.com/aboutRevo/news/edc17/2TDi170.jpg

Possibly their are others also.

Celtic Tuning

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/

170 TDi CR TDi

211 BHP 321 ftlbs

Edited by Anthony 1

I went to Admiral for my insurance through Confused.com at: https://www.confused.com/motor/form/

The Meerkat site didn't recognise the Yeti let alone a CR170! The free week Skoda insurance is, I believe, done by Zurich - hyper efficient but not as cheap as many. Of course you never find out how good an insurance company is until it's too late. I looked up various review sites for insurance company and without fail, every insurance company is hated with a vengeance by 99% of the people who post their thoughts!

It has to be said that rating for a Yeti is very good, even CR170s.

none of the online car insurance folk seem to have got there act together with the tdi 170 yet but i will take a guess it won't be much more than the £290 quoted for the 140

Some company's seem to load the insurance with a £300 access because its a 4X4. My full comp with protection is £300 for 140bhp

Edited by Ray_Green

went on to look properly at a yeti with the rest of the family today,wife doesn't like it but that bothers me none,looks like the 1.8 is out of the running tho,after seeing the tax banding on the cr170 it also looks like i will be using it as my driving school car too as it really isn't as big as i thought it would be,still a little bit away on price as some of the options i want are quite expensive but they will come round and give it to me at what i want to pay,after all i've only had 5 cars off them in the past 4 years so i'm well used to the routine,i expect a phone call tommorow :rofl:

went on to look properly at a yeti with the rest of the family today,wife doesn't like it but that bothers me none,looks like the 1.8 is out of the running tho,after seeing the tax banding on the cr170 it also looks like i will be using it as my driving school car too as it really isn't as big as i thought it would be,still a little bit away on price as some of the options i want are quite expensive but they will come round and give it to me at what i want to pay,after all i've only had 5 cars off them in the past 4 years so i'm well used to the routine,i expect a phone call tommorow emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

What doesn't your wife like about it? I went to look at one again today and think that it looks great compared to most of the comparatively dull stuff on the market for the same price.

she hates it completly,says its ugly hates the driving position says its dog slow and will divorce me if i buy it instead of a mk6 golf gti/mk5 golf r32 or the new golf r20 that either is or will be out shortly,so when i get a yeti i will lose a wife.......win win in my book :rofl:

she hates it completly,says its ugly hates the driving position says its dog slow and will divorce me if i buy it instead of a mk6 golf gti/mk5 golf r32 or the new golf r20 that either is or will be out shortly,so when i get a yeti i will lose a wife.......win win in my book :rofl:

How can you hate a driving position that is infinitely variable. the Yeti has everything going for it. My wife claims the seats are more comfortable. My criticisms are the location of the rear view mirror, (too low) and the steering wheel masks the instruments slightly. I have lowered my seat to see under the mirror.

I have now carried out 4 round trips to Manchester (240 miles each) and I feel fresh and relaxed after the drive. (Far better than in my EX X-Trail) Less noise, easier driving, cruise control, comfortable seating, good gearing through the range, all go to making long journeys a good experience. Before the Yeti I used to avoid the trip if possible - now I look forward to the drive. I know it sounds a bit "sad" but the Yeti has bought a new joy to my driving! Looking forward to touring with it.

How can you hate a driving position that is infinitely variable. the Yeti has everything going for it. My wife claims the seats are more comfortable. My criticisms are the location of the rear view mirror, (too low) and the steering wheel masks the instruments slightly. I have lowered my seat to see under the mirror.

I have now carried out 4 round trips to Manchester (240 miles each) and I feel fresh and relaxed after the drive. (Far better than in my EX X-Trail) Less noise, easier driving, cruise control, comfortable seating, good gearing through the range, all go to making long journeys a good experience. Before the Yeti I used to avoid the trip if possible - now I look forward to the drive. I know it sounds a bit "sad" but the Yeti has bought a new joy to my driving! Looking forward to touring with it.

I can only second Terfyn's opinions. The Yeti definitely grows on you. It is very harmonious and capable an gives your real clear signals in the greasy snow we have had here last week.

i love the yeti more than ever,trouble with driving position for her is all in her head,she is only 5 feet tall and claims the all round visibility is very poor,she will come round once she has to drive one every day,i think her main problem is the lack of dsg,she loves the dsg box and i promised her she could have it on the next car and now the engine we need doesn't come with dsg.