Need A little advice on buying a Superb

IMHO, the satnav fitted to my 55 plate Elegance model is useless. I use a map. One of the main problems is that you cannot do a full post code entry and probably 60% of the destinations I ever tried to enter aren't in the software. Absolute waste of time, I use a map.

Have modified mine slightly by dropping the suspension, some alloys and other bits. Dumb stuff mostly like replacing boot lights, replacing the aerial and fitting a front splitter. The front splitter is a great addition though, easily done, cheap and does make a difference to the look of the car. Subtle but nice. There's a few pics if you click on my sig. Mine's nothing fancy but may give you an idea ... better still check out Baker21 on the forum.

As for price, you could check out a valuation <<HERE>> but Parkers don't update their site too often so prices aren't all too current. Also like I said before market prices and book prices don't really match up. Up to about 6 months ago everything was selling for roughly £1,000 less than the book price. At this time of year I'd expect to see much of the same ... although higher spec diesels tend to command better prices than petrols.

Good luck with it though man and have some fun car shopping. Drag the Mrs with you so she can experience what you go through when she's looking for new shoes.

...Your Superb looks very subtle indeed, the colour, rims and front splitter (which looks like one from a Leon Cupra-R?) do suit it well. I just so happens I have a brand new LCR splitterin the garage which I intended on fitting to the Fabia. Might keep it now.

I dont think Il bother with Satnav as I already have quite a competeant TomTom. I just hope the one im looking at has folding rear seats, will find out when I phone them tomorrow.

Get the VIN - 10th digit has to be 5> to get folding seats. (Model year 2005>).

A Superb without folding seats would not be an option for me - the car would be useless to me without it. The seat fold is stupid as the squab is fixed, but at least without a fixed rear bulkhead, you can take the seats right out. It's a fairly simple spanner job but don't let the centre belt wind into the seat back when you take it out. Guess how I found out..

rotodiesel.

Get the VIN - 10th digit has to be 5> to get folding seats. (Model year 2005>).

A Superb without folding seats would not be an option for me - the car would be useless to me without it. The seat fold is stupid as the squab is fixed, but at least without a fixed rear bulkhead, you can take the seats right out. It's a fairly simple spanner job but don't let the centre belt wind into the seat back when you take it out. Guess how I found out..

rotodiesel.

That's ma pretty good point. Mine doesn't have rear folding seats and honestly, it's something I would have liked. It's not that the boot isn't large, but it's rather shallow in height. Don't know why they didn't fit rear folding seats from the start?

Aye boot without folding rears will fit a buggy but nothing much longer than that :) (or golf clubs I would imagine) WIfes focus has bigger load carrying space with rear seats down tbh

Its pretty useles for a trip to Ikea for example if your buying a cabinet or something like that

As long as there is room in the boot after the buggy is fitted for things like shopping bags or luggage then that will do.

The boot is big, mine fits two golf trolleys and two full sets of clubs with a room to spare (not my clubs I might add. :rofl: Golf isn't a sport! A sport is something that makes you sweat) .... just folding seats would have made an already good sized boot into something with a big load carrying capacity. If you can get folding seats. If it hasn't maybe try negotiating the price a little? :thumbup:

Oh and yeah it's an LCR splitter. Requires a little trimming but an easy fit. There's a guide on here somewhere should you need it. Combats that chinless wonder look Superbs suffer from.

Edited by allclownsareevi

IMHO, the satnav fitted to my 55 plate Elegance model is useless. I use a map. One of the main problems is that you cannot do a full post code entry and probably 60% of the destinations I ever tried to enter aren't in the software. Absolute waste of time, I use a map.

I have to disagree. The in built Skoda sat nav is rubbish compared to a Garmin or tom tom but as a tool it works perfectly. Yes it does not cover full post codes but once you understand how it works you can get everywhere. I use street names and can honesty say that that it has got me to my destination everytime. I find the car parks, hotels and restraunts a good feature. Yes you have to dial everything but you do get used to that and it does give you traffic updates but not speed camera locations. My wife uses a TOM TOM in her car and she sayes the Skoda system although dated still gets her from A-B. I have had more wrong turnings with the TOM TOM than the Skoda one.

Sorry, but I reckon nearly half the street destinations I have tried to put into the unit it hasn't heard of. If you're happy then that's fine, but I think it's rubbish. On one occasion when relying on the partial post code and street name feature I ended up over 8 miles away from where I should have been. There was two "School Lane" within the greater post code area. It of course, took me to the wrong one and I was late for an appointment as a result. I suppose with a new disk it would work better. Far better to use a map though as it is.

No folding seats.

All the toys in the world are no use if you can't carry things which should fit inside a car of this size. It's obviously not an estate or a hatchback and if you needed one you would buy something else, but the seat fold is really too useful to miss.

rotodiesel.

The only upside to NOT having folding seats is when things aren't going great with the wife, even if she wakes up, you know she can't escape from the boot as you're driving into the woods with your trusty shovel. :thumbup:

No, they've thought of that. There are key locks on the seat catches which can be locked shut - inoperable by the valet key.

A typical Teutonic solution. If they had had the common sense to put the seat release catches in the boot as Volvo do, there would have been no need for locks at all. Probably designed by the same guy who specified a black dipstick for a diesel engine. Try checking the oil on a dark night...

Numpties.

rotodiesel.

I have to disagree. The in built Skoda sat nav is rubbish compared to a Garmin or tom tom but as a tool it works perfectly. Yes it does not cover full post codes but once you understand how it works you can get everywhere. I use street names and can honesty say that that it has got me to my destination everytime. I find the car parks, hotels and restraunts a good feature. Yes you have to dial everything but you do get used to that and it does give you traffic updates but not speed camera locations. My wife uses a TOM TOM in her car and she sayes the Skoda system although dated still gets her from A-B. I have had more wrong turnings with the TOM TOM than the Skoda one.

I'd agree with berr0010 - not the most user-friendly system to use, but works fine when you're used to it and has never given me a bum steer in 4 years. You just need to be slightly aware of where you're going and not over-reliant on postcodes. Just make sure the disc (it's a CD not DVD) is in the car and allow full cost of £120 if it's not.

Also - I don't think it's been mentioned yet - the facelift Elegance models didn't get sunroofs as standard (I think). So one of the last pre-facelift Elegances would probably give you the best spec/cost balance (sunroof and satnav were standard, and possibly full nappa leather was too?)

cheers

I'd agree with berr0010 - not the most user-friendly system to use, but works fine when you're used to it and has never given me a bum steer in 4 years. You just need to be slightly aware of where you're going and not over-reliant on postcodes. Just make sure the disc (it's a CD not DVD) is in the car and allow full cost of £120 if it's not.

Also - I don't think it's been mentioned yet - the facelift Elegance models didn't get sunroofs as standard (I think). So one of the last pre-facelift Elegances would probably give you the best spec/cost balance (sunroof and satnav were standard, and possibly full nappa leather was too?).

cheers

Thanks for info. The full Nappa leather would be a bonus but sunroof I dont care about, not as safe as a roof and another place for water to come in and if theres climatecontrol is a sunroof really needed?

Edited by Skoda-Msport