Got any ideas?

BOBAD

Hi, my Fabia 1.9TDi is now out of guarantee and during the time I've had it (since it was 10 months old) it has only ever had one fault.

The problem is this: intermittently when you take your foot off the accelerator it doesn't slow down. Just keeps on at the same speed.

It's nothing obvious like trapped carpets etc. and only happens in 4th or 5th gear.

I've had it back to Alex Lawries in Liverpool quite a few times, but although they have tried, they can't make it happen while their tester is in the car. It's been plugged into their computer system which shows no faults. If they can't reproduce the problem when it's on test then I can understand them being unable to solve it! Yet it keeps happening to me! On average about once a week.

It's simple enough to correct, I slip it out of gear or change down and then it drives normally, and I don't consider it to be dangerous, but I would like to know if anyone else on here has experienced anything like this.

I haven't read of anything like it happening to anyone else.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

sounds normal to me, mine will do it in every gear, and i bet everybody elses diesel will too, the torque of the engne wont allow the engine to stall, therefore even though your foot is off the throttle it will still drive along at idle in the gear you are using

Throttle position sensor module faulty. If you press brakes or clutch it cuts the throttle and ignores the position sensor.

Moggy, if that was the case wouldn't it show up as a fault on the computer diagnosis?

Bob.

Need to touch the brake, or it barges on itself, scarey at first but on my third and new VRS so it must be a feature rather than a fault

Cheers ric & national, your explanations make sense....

Bob.

Moggy, if that was the case wouldn't it show up as a fault on the computer diagnosis?

Bob.

The TPS rarely throws a code, as the system just assumes the stuck position is because you have your foot on the throttle. 1st symptoms are usually a high idle, that will return to normal if you blip the throttle, or pull the pedal up with your toe under the pedal.

The throttle return spring may also be dislodged or about to break. Clutch and brake switch over-ride the throttle pedal as a safety feature.