How we moved my mate's Fiat 126

Well the story of this one goes like this,

A friend of mine recently sold his Fiat 126bis on ebay and was having difficulty sorting out transportation for it to it's new home. I had the bright idea of using my plant trailer from work but when I went round to pick it up, it turned out, the car was just slightly to wide to fit on, literally by a couple of inches. We were determined not to give in though and after a bit of head scratching we looked at my Transit and wondered if it would actually fit inside. I quite often see small rally cars arrive to events in the back on a van so thought there may be a chance. However, my works Transit is only a short wheel base, low top version so it was gonna be tight, very tight!

Due to the wheel arches inside the loading area, we had about 20mm to play with either side and we knew that the back of the car would overhang slightly so the rear doors would have to remain open but, of course, properly secured with a ratchet strap. We also had to remove the rear door latch at the top of the van's rear opening to stop it catching the roof of the car.

So we gave it a go, and after nearly 2 hours of pushing, pulling and swearing, the car was in. It was then secured to the floor of the van with a ratchet strap, handbrake firmly on and put into gear.

Happy that it was all secure, we set of down my mate's long bumpy driveway, stopping at the end to check it was all staying put. No movement, so we carried on. Another stop about 5 miles down the road and again no movement so we were confident it would be ok for the rest of the 40 mile trip.

Made it safe and sound and it hadn't moved an inch :thumbup:

Anyway, here's the pictures.

DSCF4369.jpg

DSCF4361.jpg

DSCF4363.jpg

DSCF4364.jpg

DSCF4366.jpg

Thought this was going to be a story on how you had lifted your mates car and left it parked across a parking bay with cars either side,we used to do that with a mate at works 126.

Thought this was going to be a story on how you had lifted your mates car and left it parked across a parking bay with cars either side,we used to do that with a mate at works 126.

some "friends" of mine did that with one of my old minis.