Windows 7 - contents of C:

*tim*

I upgraded my XP installation to Win7 the other day, and MS being helpful decided it would keep all my old files. It was done as a clean install, but it moved the MyDocs etc into a folder called windows.old.

I want to clear up free space by deleting this windows.old folder, but also the other folders that I had previously created on C: Therefore below is a list of my current folders on the C: Could anyone with Win7 tell me the folders that they don't reconise and I can therefore delete

$AVG

I386

MSOCache

PerfLogs

Program Files

ProgramData

System.sav --- folder

Users

Windows

Windows.old

Book.BAK

Can I delete the bold ones???

CARE: my install is 64 bit, so there could be differences. I'm not convinced there is any need to delete them unless you have a space problem, in which case you'd be better getting a bigger hard disk.

I thought I386 was pre-XP, and it certainly isn't in my Windows 7 installation.

System.sav is referred to a lot on the web, and might be an HP or COmpaq folder to allow restoration to factory fresh settings. But then again it is used by Microsoft when doing a restoration of a corrupt installation.

If you have moved everything from Windows.old that you need, such as all your documents, music, pictures and so on, then it can go.

Edited by Fellwalker

Old I think is just all the files from the prevoius install. Might want to use it to get any data that you didn't back up/forgot/got corupted. Otherwise it's just wasting HDD space IMO and can go.

*Edit* or at least that's what Vista did/does.

Edited by TriggerFish

I thought I386 was pre-XP, and it certainly isn't in my Windows 7 installation.

I386 Certainly is in xp (at least xp pro ) .Apart from what elsegets put in it -it'swhere MS puts a file which puts up the "THIS COPY IS ILLEGAL " notice .And there used to be two of differing names on pre SP2 SYSTEMS, THAT HAD UPDATED (IF MEMORY SERVES).

AFAIK -

Another interssting point ( o/t but interseting ) isthat on the instal cd ,allthe instal files are on i386 ,and running Winnt in I386 ,will install xp( from a DOS command) .You'll need smartdrv to speed things up ,but it will install .

MSOCache are 'backup' files created by MS Office installation to speed up repair, reinstallation, uninstallation - so, yes, you can get rid.

i386 folders exist even in Windows 7 but are buried inside winsxs folder - so you should be safe to delete these 'external ones' (I suspect this folder on yours is a backup of the i386 folder from the original XP installation).

So, yes, delete the bold ones and the MSOCache.

The system.sav folder is a HP folder, I am not sure of its purpose but it exists on a recently purchased HP Laptop with Win7 already on it, so it could still be being used.

The system.sav folder is a HP folder, I am not sure of its purpose but it exists on a recently purchased HP Laptop with Win7 already on it, so it could still be being used.

Oops - missed that one.

Yes, from Googleing is a HP / Compaq specific folder. Not much other information about it other than seems to be backup of certain registry hives.

Do not delete to be on safe side.

Many, many thanks for all your helpful replies!!!

Yes, this is an HP laptop so it explains why I have the system.sav folder. It now HP branding free as the Win7 was a retail copy, so I'll get rid of this.

I have a backup of all my old files on an external HHD and they have also been copied to the Win7 doc's folder, so I can delete the windows.old folder

I386 I seem to recall is from XP Pro install - again gone

MSOCache. I have office 2007 installed, so I might as well leave this alone as its only a small folder.

Think i'll move them all to windows.old first to make it still runs okay.

Again THANK YOU! :)