new front discs required

wdf76

mornin all.

my vRS will require replacement front discs in the not to distant future. The car has had a 312mm conversion. ive been looking online at different prices ranging from 25 quid ish each at brakes international, to infinity and beyond for drilled and grooved numbers.

i don't track day or give it big ones on the road but i'd like vfm and your advice.

i haven't driven a car with 288mm discs but i like the way everyones eyes pop out when i hit the middle pedal with mine. am i right in saying pads should be replaced when new discs are fitted? and do you get new disc retaining screws or can you use the old ones?

thanks

I echo Moggy, dont go for cheap discs. At the end of the day they're what's going to stop you when you need it most...

On the flip side, i wouldn't waste money on drilled, grooved etc. Just a decent plain faced disk and a nice set of pads should see you well..

Maybe something like Mintex Plain Face Discs & Ferrodo DS2500 or Mintex M1144 pads

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Mintex setup would be fine - find out which model of disc and pad though, just to be sure.

For the 312 setup last time I went with std EBC discs at around £65 from EBC Direct, then a set of Ferodo DS2500s which were around £100. Did the fitting myself. Perfect fast road setup for me that - great performance :thumbup:

Steve

Thanks guys,

TBH only done 25k on my current discs and pads so am surprised I need new ones so soon, as I'm not really that aggressive. Basically an imbalance was reported at the MOT and they recommended I prob needed new discs and pads (but I'll get the garage to confirm first!)

Sometimes I regret going down the Brembo route. Nearly £200 for a pair of EBC Ultimax discs @ 323mm x 28mm vented. :( Just sent in the post. £100 for the pads posted too - but DS2500 is about as god as it gets for daily use.

I suppose there has to be some negatives for brake tartiness Jason :p

That is steep! Mind you that is a chunky set of discs, so as ever it's getting what you pay for I suppose. DS2500s also appear pricey against most 'everyday' stuff, but they're just so good. I find they work well from cold too, which isn't always easy with fast road pads.

Steve

I've had a quote at 185.17 for mintex pads and discs fitted including vat.

Does that sound like a good quote or should I shop around?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-TT-MINTEX-FRONT-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS_W0QQitemZ360165176729QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53db847599#ht_3306wt_939

all you need. £90 posted and wudnt pay more than £50 for sumone to fit em.

Edited by warwick hunt

Sounds like a plan, I'll buy it now, and ask my garage up the road to fix if required :)

I've got the OEM Brembo discs on mine. Just a plain surface with a single dimple as a wear indicator. Do the job just fine and they came with replacement retaining screws. Pads wise I can't remember the brand but they're from GSF and came in a yellow box. I'd really avoid Mintex. I've got Mintex pads on the Octy with the Brembo discs and they're rubbish in feel compared to the pads I've got on the Fabia.

Sounds like a plan, I'll buy it now, and ask my garage up the road to fix if required :)

Just a warning ... retracting the pistol on (I think the front) brakes requires a special tool to do it, as it needs to be screwed in under pressure (the Haynes book doesn't mention this and makes it sound very easy). VAG do not make their tool available for purchase, although someone (I think Kennedy) make a version of it - you really will want this.

Just a warning ... retracting the pistol on (I think the front) brakes requires a special tool to do it, as it needs to be screwed in under pressure (the Haynes book doesn't mention this and makes it sound very easy). VAG do not make their tool available for purchase, although someone (I think Kennedy) make a version of it - you really will want this.

No, you dont need this on the front, only the rear. You can buy the laser one from halfords, they are about £25

Star Performance replaced the standard pads & disks for EBC dimpled / grooved disks with Black Diamond fast road pads (all round). Not only do they look good but the stopping power is much improved. Probably should have done this when the car was re-mapped.

• 1 year later...

I did buy them - car booked into be fitted - wrong bloody discs :(

Anybody need any Mintex -MDC1381 discs MDB2041 pads