Milltek dp/cat on stock cat-back

I wanted to keep the stock cat-back on my tfsi and upgrade the downpipe/cat. With a Milltek dp, I looked to get this fitted and was told about there being an extra cost for a custom reducer ( 2.75" Milltek to 2.5" stock) to be made up. My question is, has anybody else tried this combination and was there a more 'off the shelf' approach to the reducer?

I have the option of ditching the Milltek idea and going with another manufacturwer if there was an advantage. In any event, the cost of a custom reducer would still be a lot less than a Milltek cat-back.

My second question is: Milltek seem to have two versions; a TUV approved version and a non-TUV approved with the former apparently being better made, tested on the specific vehicle and street-legal noise. Is there any real advantage of one over the other given the extra £120 for the TUV-approved dp?

Thanks

Edited by muckipup

i have the pipewerx 3"DP and sports cat.

not only is it alot cheaper than the miltek option. it also has a reducer built into the end of it, so it fits straight onto the std cat back, with nothing else reuired. It also gave a deeper burble that sounded so much better than standard. i personnaly think the miltek is well overpriced.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skoda-Octavia-VRS-Mk2-Exhaust-3-High-Flow-Sports-Cat_W0QQitemZ300376453846QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45efd4f2d6

i have the pipewerx 3"DP and sports cat.

not only is it alot cheaper than the miltek option. it also has a reducer built into the end of it, so it fits straight onto the std cat back, with nothing else reuired. It also gave a deeper burble that sounded so much better than standard. i personnaly think the miltek is well overpriced.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skoda-Octavia-VRS-Mk2-Exhaust-3-High-Flow-Sports-Cat_W0QQitemZ300376453846QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45efd4f2d6

Many thanks vRSy - this is exactly the kind of pointer I was looking for! It appears to be £75 cheaper all in. Did you fit it yourself and how easy was it to do i.e. easy swap or a cutting and 'percussion adjustment' with a hammer? ;)

Edited by muckipup

Many thanks vRSy - this is exactly the kind of pointer I was looking for! It appears to be £75 cheaper all in. Did you fit it yourself and how easy was it to do i.e. easy swap or a cutting and 'percussion adjustment' with a hammer? ;)

dead easy mate, i used this guide by hoffmeister to fit it,

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/124442-tfsi-downpipe-fitting-guide/page__view__findpost__p__1561519__fromsearch__1

I wanted to keep the stock cat-back on my tfsi and upgrade the downpipe/cat. With a Milltek dp, I looked to get this fitted and was told about there being an extra cost for a custom reducer ( 2.75" Milltek to 2.5" stock) to be made up. My question is, has anybody else tried this combination and was there a more 'off the shelf' approach to the reducer?

I have the option of ditching the Milltek idea and going with another manufacturwer if there was an advantage. In any event, the cost of a custom reducer would still be a lot less than a Milltek cat-back.

My second question is: Milltek seem to have two versions; a TUV approved version and a non-TUV approved with the former apparently being better made, tested on the specific vehicle and street-legal noise. Is there any real advantage of one over the other given the extra £120 for the TUV-approved dp?

Thanks

I have the Milltek DP and OEM rear section on mine. Jim @ JKM fabricated a joining section for me. A very useful combination. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I have the Milltek DP and OEM rear section on mine. Jim @ JKM fabricated a joining section for me. A very useful combination. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Thanks Stu. I heard that JKM could fabricate one. I'm not sure why they need to do this as Pipe Werx appear to make custom reducers/joining sleeves at a fraction of the cost:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exhaust-Adaptor-reducer-joining-sleeve_W0QQitemZ300385906098QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45f0652db2

Thanks Stu. I heard that JKM could fabricate one. I'm not sure why they need to do this as Pipe Werx appear to make custom reducers/joining sleeves at a fraction of the cost:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exhaust-Adaptor-reducer-joining-sleeve_W0QQitemZ300385906098QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45f0652db2

its not even needed on that DP i posted up for you as its built in on it already

Edited by vRSy

its not even needed on that DP i posted up for you as its built in on it already

Yup, I understand that the 3" Pipe Werx dp/cat already reduces to allow it to slot in with a 2.5" stock cat-back. For this reason and the fact that Pipe Werx seem to get a good reputation, I have ordered one which I will fit myself.

Getting the 2.75" Milltek fitted for me due to the 'requirement' for a custom made reducer would be £200 more due to labour costs of fitting and making up the reducer. I have therefore dumped the idea of using Milltek much as I respect their products....

...but the point in my earlier post was that Pipe Werx also make there own custom reducer pipes (per the Ebay link that I put in) so why have one made up for a Milltek at a lot more cost than the £15 or so that Pipe Werx charge for a 2.75" to 2.5" reducer??

Edited by muckipup

point to know idealy a perfomance exhaust wil work hand in hand with an air intake. a good exhaust means exhaust gases flow out quicker, so ideally an intake is required to flow air into the engine quicker......

not that im trying to tempt you into more modding ;)

Nah, I don't seem to need any help with that!! :)

I am sticking with a Pipercross panel filter. I don't dispute that there may be some gains to be had with a Evoms CAI or similar over a performance filter but it just ain't worth the money from new imho.

Edited by muckipup

yeah but it would run better with one ;) :p keep an eye on the mk5 gti forum for sale section, quite often see intakes for sale on there

Yeah, I would keep an eye out for a bargain but no way am I parting with the good part of £300 for a CAI (aka some tubing with a cone filter on the end!) - it's 'spot the Scot' time ;)