Buying a Superb 2.5TDI or 1.9TDI

enochb

What I'm wondering is, what sort of spec can I expect to get? All the toys I have got on my Octavia I pressume, although I haven't seen many for sale with leather.

Also, what could I expect to get for about £4-5k?

Tom :)

In your price range you can pick up a 2004/2005 car (remember if you want folding rear seats then you need to be looking at 54 reg onwards as they were introduced in May 04 - the seat squabs do no lift up mind so the seat backs do not fold flat!)

If you specifically want leather then you will be looking for an Elegance, most have sat nav as well (but not all) and the 'wood trim'.

The Comfort is better equipped than an Octavia Elegance of similar age.

The Classic is the base entry model which still has a decent spec but is missing out on things like cruise control (easy to retro fit though) and alloys i believe?

Certainly do appreciate all the comments and advice. The trouble I'm having now is finding the car. The only one I found and drove was not in the best state of health as I'm sure it had been in a smash before. Both right side doors required a lot of persuasion to get them open from the inside (and no the child lock was not activated) ;) , whereas the left hand side was fine.

I'm now thinking of changing the budget to allow for a newer vehicle with lower mileage, but does anyone know whether an £6k 80,000 miler will last for 4-5 years at 15-20000 miles a year, or should I look at a £10k car with about 50000 on the clock?

I drove another 2.5V6TDI which was much better than the first one, and was a 57 plate going for £12.5, which is steep to say the least. It was in very good condition, but may as well go for the new one at that money.

Response was actually very good on this one. But it's too expensive.

Spent a good few hours looking through this forum for details on forum users with a 2.5 V6TDI. Lots of information there but maybe better to avoid the 2.5 altogether.

I haven't heard any responses on the 1.9 Auto? Anyone?

I drove another 2.5V6TDI which was much better than the first one, and was a 57 plate going for £12.5, which is steep to say the least. It was in very good condition, but may as well go for the new one at that money.

Response was actually very good on this one. But it's too expensive.

Spent a good few hours looking through this forum for details on forum users with a 2.5 V6TDI. Lots of information there but maybe better to avoid the 2.5 altogether.

I haven't heard any responses on the 1.9 Auto? Anyone?

I paid under 11k for my 2.5 V6 TDi in L&K Spec from a Skoda Dealer mate, it had less than 10K on the clock to, that was back in September, strangely enough, not that I am thinking of chopping in or selling, I ran it through webuyanycar.com and they would buy it for only £100 less than I paid for it ........ bargain!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and advice on which Superb to buy.

The search was finally concluded yesterday when I picked up a 55 plate 1.9 Auto Edition 100 (a rare beast indeed!) :thumbup:

Thanks once again.

If I get any issues, I know where to look for the answers.

Regards

EnochB

Ok, I hear the comments about the 1.9TTDI. Manual is not really an option for me, so has anyone 'chipped' a 1.9?

Yes, my PD130 has got 170 bhp now and has been running for 200.000 km without any problems. 0-60 mph in about 7.9 seconds.

Yes, my PD130 has got 170 bhp now and has been running for 200.000 km without any problems. 0-60 mph in about 7.9 seconds.

That's not bad at all. Have you noticed any drop in fuel economy?

If you wouldn't mind sharing the details of the upgrade (where it was done etc.) that would be appreciated.

That's not bad at all. Have you noticed any drop in fuel economy?

If you wouldn't mind sharing the details of the upgrade (where it was done etc.) that would be appreciated.

I'm from Denmark, so it was done @ Landberg.dk

I can add the print out from the test later. Fuel economy got slightly better. Obviously not with the pedal to the metal.

It's not Box tuned btw it's professionally chipped (hard coded) into the cars computer.

Edited by Cown