Brake pad upgrade

NZ100

I have Roomster 1.9 and would like to upgrade pads both front and rear. The car is in daily use so want something that works well from cold. Have looked at a few sites and the Mintex 1144 pads seem to come out on top, the only problem i have is ,that they for some reason only make 1144s for the rear. Does anyone know of any other pad as good or is better than the Mintex. One other question, the rear disc is a solid one, can i get a vented one that will fit. Thanks, B)

Ferodo DS2500 is a similar type compound to M1144, and Pagid "Fast Road" is M1144 in a different box.

There's not really much point in upgrading rear brakes, because the weight distribution of a typical FWD car goes to about 80% front under heavy braking, so the rears never get significantly hot anyway.

Edited by KenONeill

Ferodo DS2500 is a similar type compound to M1144, and Pagid "Fast Road" is M1144 in a different box.

There's not really much point in upgrading rear brakes, because the weight distribution of a typical FWD car goes to about 80% front under heavy braking, so the rears never get significantly hot anyway.

Thanks for that Ken much appreciated, also for the quick reply. Will look into it. B)

Yup; Ferodo DS2500s are my preferred choice and recommendation too.

I have used them in my previous Fabia 1.4, my wife's FIAT Doblo and I presently have a set (front pair to be specific) in my Octavia vRS TDI. They give good response from cold, fantastic fade free stopping power when warm and from speed, and wear well (at least a long as OE pads). They may not be the cheapest but IMHO they are worth the money.

£140 a set :o

That sounds about right, compared to what I paid 2 years ago for mine; might be able to find them a tad cheaper if you look hard.

But as I said "They may not be the cheapest but IMHO they are worth the money. "

I found the Mintex extreme pads to be very, very good and half that price. Shame you can't get them anymore. Still, if you have shelled out for them in preference to standard pads on standard applications they must be good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry this seems a bit late to be still asking ques' about pad upgrades but have had trouble getting back on site. Right, 312s ? 2nd, thanks for the other suggestions on pads. Have been to all the places where i live (Coventry Area) to ask about the suggested pads with answers like, whats a Pagid, to, you want these, they fit them to BMW'S. Can anyone suggest a place that can really help? Thanks.

Hi Guys, sorry this seems a bit late to be still asking ques' about pad upgrades but have had trouble getting back on site. Right, 312s ? 2nd, thanks for the other suggestions on pads. Have been to all the places where i live (Coventry Area) to ask about the suggested pads with answers like, whats a Pagid, to, you want these, they fit them to BMW'S. Can anyone suggest a place that can really help? Thanks.

2nd;- I have used Demon Tweeks for many years. Alternatively you could contact one of the site partners such as JKM or Awesome GTI.

1st;- 312s? - refers to an upgrade of the front brake discs to 312mm diameter discs (as used on Octavia vRS/Golf GTI) from your standard discs that are IIRC 288mm. Personally I'd only recommend this if you are into serious upgrading and fast (track?) driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys back again. The pads AND discs have arrived, JKM sorted me in the end, very helpfull. Have not done anything mechanical for a while due to an accident a few years back, and have never done anything on a Skoda. Have had a look and things seem quite straight forward, i imagine there are ones that have done this before, is there anything i should be aware of before i start? Due to my problems i've alloted a day and a half to do the job. Thanks for your help.

Hi Guys back again. The pads AND discs have arrived, JKM sorted me in the end, very helpfull. Have not done anything mechanical for a while due to an accident a few years back, and have never done anything on a Skoda. Have had a look and things seem quite straight forward, i imagine there are ones that have done this before, is there anything i should be aware of before i start? Due to my problems i've alloted a day and a half to do the job. Thanks for your help.

Sorry but can't help with fitting tips; but which pads/discs did you get?

I reckon you will struggle to get the heat into the reds on the Roomy.

They are fine from cold as is assuming you're using the ceramic version of them, although if heat is an issue then obviously it will rule out a lot of performance pads.

On the 312mm point, if you can't get enough heat in the front pads to be able to take advantage of better pads, then really you're not pushing the set up far enough to need to go up to 312mm discs.

Sorry but can't help with fitting tips; but which pads/discs did you get?

Ferodo DS pads, JKM's own discs, grooved. JKM went to more trouble than most, so took their advice.

Job done, pads & disc's fitted no problems. The only thing now is, because the new pads dont have a wear indicator on them, the brake light on the dash is now on. Do i just have to live with it , or can something be done? Also there seem to be differing ideas on how to run in new pads, anyone found the best way yet? I've always thought to take it easy on the braking for the first few miles. Thanks.

Job done, pads & disc's fitted no problems. The only thing now is, because the new pads dont have a wear indicator on them, the brake light on the dash is now on. Do i just have to live with it , or can something be done? Also there seem to be differing ideas on how to run in new pads, anyone found the best way yet? I've always thought to take it easy on the braking for the first few miles. Thanks.

i would retrieve the old pads out he bin, and cut the conector off , check with a multimeter the pins are short circuit when the pads are good, the solder the cut ends together and plug it back in, this will stop you getting a warning and protect the connector from ingress of dirt and rubbish

as i say check with a multimeter if they are open or short circuit when good

peter

Also there seem to be differing ideas on how to run in new pads, anyone found the best way yet? I've always thought to take it easy on the braking for the first few miles. Thanks.

There should be a leaflet with bedding in instructions in the box. However, remembering what this said and how I bedded in my DS2500, firstly do bear in mind that these pads are really Racing pads and should be treated as such.

Method is therefore to use them carefully but neither too lightly nor too hard for the first 250 or so miles. Within this period you should do several series of firm applications, say 4 or 5, (about half pressure) from a moderate speed, say 50 - 60mph down to 30 - 40 mph; be aware of other road users naturally! The aim of this is to get the pads firmly bedded to the discs and vice versa and to get a degree of heat into them but not too much. Make sense.

Bottom line; don't pussy foot around, but don't go too hard either.

i would retrieve the old pads out he bin, and cut the conector off , check with a multimeter the pins are short circuit when the pads are good, the solder the cut ends together and plug it back in, this will stop you getting a warning and protect the connector from ingress of dirt and rubbish

as i say check with a multimeter if they are open or short circuit when good

peter

Checked old pad with a bulb on battery and was a curcuit, so just soldered both wires together, now no brake warning light, great, thanks.

Checked old pad with a bulb on battery and was a curcuit, so just soldered both wires together, now no brake warning light, great, thanks.

just remember to keep an eye on the pad wear as you no longer have the safety factor of the warning system

glad to help

peter

• 8 months later...
1st;- 312s? - refers to an upgrade of the front brake discs to 312mm diameter discs (as used on Octavia vRS/Golf GTI) from your standard discs that are IIRC 288mm. Personally I'd only recommend this if you are into serious upgrading and fast (track?) driving.

I assume this is calipers plus discs? This is a direct bolt-on conversion? Resulting brake balance, pedal effort?

I assume this is calipers plus discs? This is a direct bolt-on conversion? Resulting brake balance, pedal effort?

No; just the 312mm discs. You keep the OE callipers but you need new brackets so that they calipers are positioned correctly.

Direct bolt-on; yes.

Brake balance; stronger at the front; naturally.