automatic gearbox option

Guest salthepal

Thanks TP. More confusing, but I'm beginning to think Skoda UK don't really know the MPG and CO2 numbers for the Yeti 1.2 DSG.

Maybe James at Allams can publish the numbers for the Yeti 1.2 DSG as well.

Can any Yeti 1.2 Manual owners confirm the CO2 quoted on their registration documents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies, but I've posted some of this on another thread and would like to get comments here.

I am trying to decide about buying 1.2TSI DSG. I emailed Skoda UK and got a call back next day (yesterday). The guy had been advised by his technical people that the MPG of the DSG is correct. First reason given is that trim level of UK cars is higher (I mentioned the European data!). When I pointed out that you would then expect a big difference between E and Elegance trim levels, and they never quote different MPG data for the different specs, he went back to his "technical chap" and offered that the 7-speed DSG is worse in Urban conditions. It's certainly the Urban figure that's a problem, but I am still puzzled. He also suggested that Yeti being SUV makes a difference!

I've looked at Skoda Germany data, and found the Yeti catalogue at new.skoda-auto.com - the latter has all the MPG data -

1.2TSI

Urban 7.6 (7.8)/7.9** (8.0**)

Extra-Urban 5.9 (5.7)/5.9** (5.8**)

Combined 6.4 (6.4)/6.6** (6.6**)

CO2 149 (149)/154** (154**)

The (data) is for the DSG. The note against ** says - The extra equipment weight restriction of 5 kg for cars with manual transmission and 35 kg for cars with automatic transmission results in the consumption and CO2 emission value reduction.

The ** data are the same as on the German website. and equate to 35.8/47.9/42.8 MPG for manual and 35.3/48.7/42.8 MPG for DSG.

Summing up, DSG Urban is 0.5MPG lower, Extra-Urban is 0.8MPG higher and Combined is identical to Manual, this also being true for the unstarred data!

Does anyone know how the UK brochure figures are produced?

They appear on the official VCAwebsite, unfortunately only for the Manual 1.2TSI which is the same as in the UK brochure. The VCA website says "The testing is carried out either by independent test organisations, or by the manufacturers or importers themselves at their own test facilities." Not much help there then - but one wonders why the DSG data is missing (I've emailed VCA to ask and await their answer)!

Also -

1.2TSI Octavia is on it's way, presumably with DSG option, which might be interesting to compare with YETI MPG's - however, I can't find "official MPG's" for 1.2TSI Octavia yet.

The 1.4TSI Octavia is in the UK brochure with identical Combined MPG for Manual and DSG, which is interesting w.r.t. the Yeti debate.

Also interesting is that the Octavia Catalogue on new.skoda-auto.com has identical figures for all 3 MPG figuress for Manual and DSG to those in the UK Brochure - seems to contradict my Skoda UK contact, who discounted "European data"!!

Apologies, but I've posted some of this on another thread and would like to get comments here.

I am trying to decide about buying 1.2TSI DSG. ........

The ** data are the same as on the German website. and equate to 35.8/47.9/42.8 MPG for manual and 35.3/48.7/42.8 MPG for DSG.

Summing up, DSG Urban is 0.5MPG lower, Extra-Urban is 0.8MPG higher and Combined is identical to Manual, this also being true for the unstarred data

I'm sorry if this may sound condescending and disingenuous, its not meant to be, but let's be realistic.

Surely there are many factors in buying a (new) car and is fuel economy really that important to you? What are the alternatives you are considering and why? How many miles per annum do you cover? If, like my wife's Roomster 1.6Tip which is (relatively) hardly the epitome of fuel efficiency, you cover less than 8,000 miles the annual cost difference is marginal over a more fuel efficient car.

As I see you already own an Octavia 1.9TD with DSG (same bhp as the 1.2TSI Yeti) you will have info available to compare this with the manual version. I'd be very surprised if the relative figures are any different between the manual and DSG Yeti. The consumption on the 1.2TSI Yeti will likely be 10mpg or more worse than your Octavia purely because it is a petrol not diesel and, if you do a lot of Motorway mileage, has a higher drag coefficient.

IMHO put fuel consumption to the back of your priorities, the 1.2TSI is hardly a 'gas guzzler' and consider the other many positive merits of a Yeti and buy it!

"bahnstormer vrs" - I agree with the thrust of your comments, although I am a pensioner who is a bit intererested in keeping my cash!

As a lover of DSG, I am mainly just puzzled by the published UK figures and hoped to find a believable explanation. However, I've not found one yet.

Another thought I had is as follows. For my diesel Octavia 1.9TDI DSG car, Urban is worse for DSG which you might expect since diesels take longer to warm up (especially the Octy 1.9 in my experience) and the Urban test starts from cold.

For the 1.4TSI (petrol) Octavia, the DSG is better at Urban than the manual (35.3 vs 33.2). DSG and manual have identical Combined MPG (UK & European sources). So can you think of reasons why that would not be true of the Yeti 1.2TSI?

Another thought I had is as follows.

For my diesel Octavia 1.9TDI DSG car, Urban is worse for DSG which you might expect since diesels take longer to warm up (especially the Octy 1.9 in my experience) and the Urban test starts from cold.

For the 1.4TSI (petrol) Octavia, the DSG is better at Urban than the manual (35.3 vs 33.2). DSG and manual have identical Combined MPG (UK & European sources). So can you think of reasons why that would not be true of the Yeti 1.2TSI?

I follow your logic in comparing 1.4TSI Octavia and 1.2TSI Yeti and yes, believe you ought to be able to apply the rationale to the Yeti.

Clearly there is a proportional difference between Octavia 1.9TD DSG and Octavia 1.4TSI/Yeti 1.2TSI DSG figures; wouldn't this be created because the 1.9TD has the 'old' 6 speed wet clutch DSG and the 1.4/1.2 TSI DSG has the 'new' 7 speed dry clutch DSG?

Yes - they seem to fit the wet 6-speed DSG to diesels and the dry 7-speed to petrol engined cars (I think), and I'm not sure why.

I did read somewhere that the dry clutch gives more economical figures.

One of the Yeti reviews seemed to think 7 gears is too many and, as a result, it can change gear more often than is necessary.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has experience of the 7-speed DSG.

• 1 month later...

At last, the UK seems to have come in line with Germany for the 1.2 DSG fuel data!

Just checked Skoda UK for Yeti brochure and another new one has appeared - "Model Year 11 - Effective 25th May 2010".

For comparison, 1.2DSG now versus 1st Jan 2010 brochure -

May 2010 vs Jan 2010

Urban 36.2 (7.8) 29.4 (9.6)

Extra Urban 49.6 (5.7) 50.4 (5.6)

Combined 44.1 (6.4) 39.8 (7.1)

CO2 Emissions 149 165

As far as I can see, other models have unchanged data.

Have they tweaked something for "Model Year 11", or were all previous data wrong? Can they be sued by owners who have paid too much VED?

Has anyone spoken to Skoda about this and got any sense? I've tried before as reported above in my post of 31 March, and got no sense!

This is interesting for me since I had considered waiting for the DSG Diesel.

If the latest data are to be believed, the 1.2DSG and "2.0 TDI CR 140bhp 4X4 DSG DPF" models have almost identical fuel efficiency.

The diesel DSG has 0-62 of 10.2sec versus the 1.2 DSG with 12 sec.

The diesel DSG has CO2 of 169. That means VED of £180 vs £125 for 1.2 DSG petrol (£250 vs £125 for first 12 months).

The diesel DSG costs £23,045 OTR versus £19,120 for the 1.2 DSG petrol, a premium of £3925.

Since I would be paying for 4x4 that I don't need, I have decided to (probably) go for the 1.2 DSG.

At last, the UK seems to have come in line with Germany for the 1.2 DSG fuel data!

Just checked Skoda UK for Yeti brochure and another new one has appeared - "Model Year 11 - Effective 25th May 2010".

For comparison, 1.2DSG now versus 1st Jan 2010 brochure -

May 2010 vs Jan 2010

Urban 36.2 (7.8) 29.4 (9.6)

Extra Urban 49.6 (5.7) 50.4 (5.6)

Combined 44.1 (6.4) 39.8 (7.1)

CO2 Emissions 149 165

As far as I can see, other models have unchanged data.

Have they tweaked something for "Model Year 11", or were all previous data wrong? Can they be sued by owners who have paid too much VED?

Has anyone spoken to Skoda about this and got any sense? I've tried before as reported above in my post of 31 March, and got no sense!

This is interesting for me since I had considered waiting for the DSG Diesel.

If the latest data are to be believed, the 1.2DSG and "2.0 TDI CR 140bhp 4X4 DSG DPF" models have almost identical fuel efficiency.

The diesel DSG has 0-62 of 10.2sec versus the 1.2 DSG with 12 sec.

The diesel DSG has CO2 of 169. That means VED of £180 vs £125 for 1.2 DSG petrol (£250 vs £125 for first 12 months).

The diesel DSG costs £23,045 OTR versus £19,120 for the 1.2 DSG petrol, a premium of £3925.

Since I would be paying for 4x4 that I don't need, I have decided to (probably) go for the 1.2 DSG.

i suspect the previous data was wrong, given the pretty consistent statistical relationship between manual and dsg with 1.2 tsi and 1.4 tsi in all the other VW group model contexts.

The many happy postes on here suggest you wouldn't be disappointed with the 1.2 dsg!

Can they be sued by owners who have paid too much VED?

I don't think anyone paid too much VED. My 1.2 DSG has a CO2 rating of 149 on the log book, and £125 for the tax disc.

As posted previously at http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/158226-yeti-12-tsi-dsg-elegance/page__p__1951094entry1951094

The technical supplement with the handbook lists Co2 as 149 . Hence the £125 road tax. Fuel consumption figures quoted in the technical supplement are:

Urban 7.8 ltr/100km

Non-urban 5.7 ltr/100km

Combination 6.4 ltr/100km

I work that out to be in mpg - Urban = 36.2, Non-urban = 49.6, Combined = 44.1

Edited by tarbat

Thanks helix, and thanks to tarbat for the link to your post - it makes very persuasive reading.

When I visit the dealer, I'll be asking why the brochure data kept changing and why did they not point out the figures in the handbook supplement!

I'm sure some potential buyers will have been put off by the incorrect data in the brochure.