vag com

skodanut

Hi...i am thinking of purchasing one of these items complete with connection leads...is this item meant to be for the proffesional? or do any of you feel that anyone can actually learn to use this item?....i consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable regarding engines and what have you..but to use vag com with a laptop, are there any issues one should be aware of? or should i stick to the dealer for scanning codes and problems should they arise? cheers andy

as the dealers want to charge £45 a time for a code scan, then even a cheap Ebay cable and the free ware version of Vag com can save you hundreds of pounds. the free version is limited but can be registered for $99 which gives a lot more functionality. And as long as you steer clear of the airbag controller you should have no problems. There are plenty of step by step guides for the various things that can be done as well. HTH

Edit:

you might do well to get hold of someone close to you that has vag com so that you can have a look what it can do and how.

Edited by karlbar2k

The handy thing about VAG-COM or VCDS if you get the latest version, is that it can communicate with any "smart" controllers fitted to the car by VAG - so it can help fault find more than just the engine. Although, if you feel that you will only be interested in reading fault codes from the engine controller and SRS (air bag etc system) and ABS, then maybe you should consider the Gendan VAG scan tool for under £40 - you can not log data etc or alter any programed options - but there again you might not ever want to do that.

BTW, the Gendan scan tool is self contained its just a small hand held reader/display/input unit with a lead.

Edited by rum4mo

thanks for the replies....i quite like the idea of when a fault arises ( not that i want one to appear !! ) that the specified tool when plugged in will find the fault after being scanned...i then look up the code or codes and discypher where the problem lies...i dont like the idea of a dealer charging me for something that i could quite easily find myself...the problem i might have is finding where the faulty item is.

Thanks again...kind regards andy

I have run VAgcom on my wife's Octy 2 hoping to sort out the airbag light which has been on for about a month now. I have read on here that there is a common problem with losse connections under the seat. - I have also read that 'some' Skoda dealerships are likely to hand you a hefty bill for new airbags that are not required. (Why is there so much scepticism over Skoda dealerships. - I don't trust my local dealership either!)

Anyway, all I get when trying to scan for the fault is a 'Failed Communication Message' - "Cannot communicate with the controller." - I only have the shareware version of Vagcom. - Does this 'Cannot communicate' message mean anything in itself, e.g. do I need a new airbag controller (how much is that going to cost?) , is the shareware version of Vagcom unable to scan the air bag controller? - Any ideas please.

Vagcom appears to be otherwise working ok, as it flagged up a 'Boost Pressure Regulation - Overboost message. - Not very impressed as the car has less than 30k on the clock and according to some postings, it may soon need a replacement turbo at £600 for a recon unit, plus whatever is causing the airbag light to stay on!

Please help!

Steve

• 1 month later...

You need a genuine Ross-Tech VCDS interface to work on CAN based vehicles (like the Octavia II).

The cheap Chinese / eBay cables will not work - as you are finding.

hello Gizmo68 can you help?

my car: new elegance hatch 1.8 tsi dsg with xenon lights, but no maxidot.

my problem: I need to change lights to "tourist mode" for monthly trips to France, but without maxidot must take to dealer before and after each trip (dealer charge not known)

possible solution: after reading various posts on this forum I think I will have to buy a suitable vcds interface such as the Ross-Tech you mentioned. Do you know if this vcds will enable me to change lights to and from "tourist mode"

alternative solution: somehow get a maxidot retrofit, probably very costly.

Thanks

Hi flinflon, im not sure if the new cars fitted with xenon's still have the 'tourist levers' that the older cars have?

Maybe someone can confirm or deny this (Baker21 possibly?)

I would be surprised if VCDS could not adjust the lights for continental use if it is simply a long code change.

Hi flinflon, im not sure if the new cars fitted with xenon's still have the 'tourist levers' that the older cars have?

Maybe someone can confirm or deny this (Baker21 possibly?)

I would be surprised if VCDS could not adjust the lights for continental use if it is simply a long code change.

Thanks Gizmo68.

According to my Ocatvia owner's manual, under "Motoring abroad"

......to prevent the dazzling of oncoming traffic, it is necessary that an adjustment of the headlights is carreid out by your Skoda Service Partner. The adaption of the headlights with Xenon lights is performed in the menu Setup Travel mode in the main menu of the information display.......

I take this to mean that with non xenon lights some sort of mechanical change is made (perhaps by tourist levers) and for xenons the change is made electronically (via onboard maxidot information display unit).

Anyway the dealer confirmed that without the maxidot computer the xenons can only be changed by their service dept's diagnostic machine. By an unjustified leap of imagination, I conclude that a suitable vcds and laptop could do the job.

As I know nothing about the world of vcds I'm googling for anything vaguely to do with electronic diagnostics.

I would imagine there is an on/off option in VCDS somewhere.

Track your nearest member with vagcom in the members map sticky in this sub forum.

Yes I think I'm going to have to get help.

I looked at the Ross-Tech site - it's all well beyond me. Btw there was a link to "erwin skoda" (electronic repair workshop info service) which seems promising but you have to pay for access by the hour or day etc and you have to know what to ask for.

clearly vcds is for professionals and very dangerous in the wrong hands ie mine