Selecting first gear trouble

I've occasionally had trouble selecting first gear on other cars but with this Octavia it seems to be once a journey and they're short journeys. The cars I learn't on often had no syncro in 1st gear so it was par to select 2nd first, then 1st, and I still do that now. Most times it works ok, but when it doesn't only a de-clutch cures it, then there's usually a crunch. Most times it's not much of a problem, but often hill starts at junction or traffic lights are beginning to get concerning, as I'm half expecting it.

Is it just me or is the Octavia manual box iffy selecting 1st .

Edited by icarusi@hotmail

...or maybe a linkage somewhere needs adjusting?

Must admit, I found that gearchanges were a bit more 'notchy' than usual on mine in the cold weather we had recently, but I put that down to the gearbox oil getting think with the low temperature since the problem went away after a few miles once things started to warm up...

Must admit, I found that gearchanges were a bit more 'notchy' than usual on mine in the cold weather we had recently, but I put that down to the gearbox oil getting think with the low temperature since the problem went away after a few miles once things started to warm up...

The cold weather crossed my mind today too. If the gearbox lube being cold is affecting things. It was ok today and it was a bit warmer.

Try letting the clutch up while the car is in neutral before selecting first. It works on a lot of cars if they're slow to go into first... I've had this occasionally on a few different cars and double clutching fixed it every time.

• 1 year later...

Hello All!

I have a Skoda Octavia Tour 2 fabricated in May 2011 and I have a problem witch the first gear because sometimes don't want to came in the 1st gear speed. Until mow I changed the oil in the gearbox, I set the gearbox linkage and made clutch ventilation

The Plastic WASHER

Does anyone know what is the role that plastic washer or if someone has the washer on their linkage in which position it is ?

In my case the washer sits in 2 position:

1.washer is caught on the metal thread of the cable.

2.Sits free on the cable with no thread.

Edited by razvan911