Lend me your grille surround

jason

the chrome grille surround is starting to bug me,i'm gonna paint it...but i need to keep the car on the road as its used by the mrs daily,has anyone got a spare?i can borrow?and return my original(or your one i will install to the car for the duration) to you when the work is done.

anyone else interested in doing this on the octy,if no spare is available i could buy a new one ,mod mine to how i want it,whilst using the new one as replacement.

we could pass this on to others that are interested,anybody bought one and can give me a price/part number?

I did mine and continued to run the car. Once the chrome surround was out, I painted it over the course of a week and then popped it back in to place.

I just had to answer everyone at work who thought the badge had been nicked in a new Beastie Boys type craze!

Steve

Ive been thinking about doing this too, does anyone have pics of a yellow one?

i'm toying with painting mine yellow,or black,i'll have to see what i like first.well for 70 quid my car will look odd,we'll drive without for a few days.

any tips on prepping the grille ?never painted chrome before,does it need roughing up with some wet and dry to get a good key for the undercoat?and what sort of undercoat do i need?

cheers

jase

I did my yellow one and it looks like sooooooo much better than chrome IMHO. I am a car painter by trade (worse luck :finger: ) and it was easy. P.S would be happy to do them for people if they can get a their surrounds to the rotherham/sheffield area ;)

I am a car painter by trade

Slightly off topic I know, but I wonder if you can offer a bit of advice? I recently had my Octy resprayed on one side 'cos some chav keyed it for me. I asked him if he would colour code the side rubbing strips and black bits in the bumpers and he said it was a bad plan and the paint would peel eventually. What do you think?

Slightly off topic I know, but I wonder if you can offer a bit of advice? I recently had my Octy resprayed on one side 'cos some chav keyed it for me. I asked him if he would colour code the side rubbing strips and black bits in the bumpers and he said it was a bad plan and the paint would peel eventually. What do you think?

Yes paint on rubber.plastic bits is a bad idea. Used to own a Lada Samara. Front grill was plastic pained and it peeled very qyuickly.

Bryan has had his strips painted to match his panels.

May be worth having a chat with him.

i'm toying with painting mine yellow' date='or black,i'll have to see what i like first.well for 70 quid my car will look odd,we'll drive without for a few days.

any tips on prepping the grille ?never painted chrome before,does it need roughing up with some wet and dry to get a good key for the undercoat?and what sort of undercoat do i need?

cheers

jase[/quote']

yes is the quick answer to that! Rough it up abit so the Plastic Primer can bond to it (the paint will not like a nice shiney surface). Take you time, the more time and effort you but in the better the final product.

It's not chrome as we know it, it's just plastic made to look like chrome (unless I'm wrong)

Hope that helps abit.

thats setteld then ,yellow it is ,that looks well smart,dunno whether it'll look daft with out the badge though.there would be a big yellow blob in the grille then ,new badge then :)

cheers for the replies guys