Block to oil filter fitting question

I changed the oil and filter on my '02 petrol 1.4 16v Fabia today. All went well, removed the old filter by hand so it had not been put on too tight last time, but before I put the new filter on I noticed that the threaded pipe that the filter screws onto could easily be rotated in the block. I don't remember these ever being loose on other cars. I tightened the new genuine Skoda filter by hand so it's not too tight, No leaks, everything seems ok. Anyone got any comments about this loose threaded pipe, is it meant to be like this?

Regards Springyboy

• 2 months later...

I changed the oil and filter on my '02 petrol 1.4 16v Fabia today. All went well, removed the old filter by hand so it had not been put on too tight last time, but before I put the new filter on I noticed that the threaded pipe that the filter screws onto could easily be rotated in the block. I don't remember these ever being loose on other cars. I tightened the new genuine Skoda filter by hand so it's not too tight, No leaks, everything seems ok. Anyone got any comments about this loose threaded pipe, is it meant to be like this?

Regards Springyboy

Irelevant to your query but can i ask if the fiter is unscrewed clockwise or anticlockwise? I just managed to mess mine up, now it has a hole and cant get it off! I used the traditional chain to unscrew it but failed miserably!! Thanks

Irelevant to your query but can i ask if the fiter is unscrewed clockwise or anticlockwise? I just managed to mess mine up, now it has a hole and cant get it off! I used the traditional chain to unscrew it but failed miserably!! Thanks

Anticlockwise to remove.

Yes it is anticlock to remove. If the filter was originally put on too tight or has been on a long time it could be a struggle to remove. Working from underneath, preferably on a lift, will allow greater leverage to get the old one off. Doesn't matter if you destroy the old one so long as you have the new one ready to go on.

Regards