knocking

Nigel26

right, yesterday i heard it a couple of times and again this morning ...

when i pull away from being stationary in either 1st of 2nd gear i hear a knock and its sounds like its coming from the engine bay, could be lower but deffinately the front of the car.

it doesnt happen all the time and when it does happen is doesnt matter if i pull away slowly or pull away quickly i.e. more load on the car.

i thought it might have been engine mount related or something but i've nailed it in every gear and the noise isnt there. it only happens when i pull away from a stand still.

one thing i have noticed is that i havent heard the diff resetting when first using the car after having the engine off. dont know if this is related and its the diff thats making the noise or not.

any ideas anyone ?

Check your CV joints, may be a split gater leading to the joint drying up. drive your car on a car park ect on full left and right lock if it knocks its a sure bet its the cv joint.

It could also be the antiroll bar bushes which are under more presssure in first and second gear.

i havent heard anything this morning or last night on the way home i had thought about cv joints so did try with the wheels turned (although not on full lock).

i'll have to keep an ear out and if it continues to make a noise albeit intermittenly i'll get it to the dealers asap. i'll also check the cv joints on my mates ramps to make sure they're ok.

if it was the bog bone mount wouldnt it be doing it all the time? its not consisitent enough to be a mount i wouldnt have thought.

it only happens (when it does happen) from a stand still and when pulling off so it cant be the abs self testing at 12mph cause i'm not going that fast.

Thanks for the feed back though guys, at least i can check a few things now.

i havent heard anything this morning or last night on the way home i had thought about cv joints so did try with the wheels turned (although not on full lock).

i'll have to keep an ear out and if it continues to make a noise albeit intermittenly i'll get it to the dealers asap. i'll also check the cv joints on my mates ramps to make sure they're ok.

if it was the bog bone mount wouldnt it be doing it all the time? its not consisitent enough to be a mount i wouldnt have thought.

it only happens (when it does happen) from a stand still and when pulling off so it cant be the abs self testing at 12mph cause i'm not going that fast.

Thanks for the feed back though guys' date=' at least i can check a few things now.[/quote']

Mine makes a knocking noise at 40 and 60mph, but not all the time. Its different to the knock noise when you give it some hammer and the ASR kicks in.

Took it to the dealers twice, and they claimed the only noise they could hear was coming from within the dash at 60! The only thing that I can see on the outside is that the front right wheel gets covered in more brake dust than the others

well i went out at lunch time and tried the full lock thing for the cv joints check and thats fine.

i did think it was maybe the brakes locking on or something but it happens whether i stop on the brakes or coat to a stand still then pull away without actually applying them.

like i said though it hasnt happened since so we'll have to see whats what.