False Boot Floor

Hi,

Just been to TPS to get my dad a boot liner for his new FL estate.

He wants the rubber one, but TPS warned me it's not suitable for cars with a false boot floor.

What is this and how can I tell if my dad's '10'-plate has it?

Thanks,

Andrew

I think this called Variable Boot Floor in the Skoda brochure. Its a false floor that raises the level of the boot to be closer to the level of the lip to the loading bay. Struggling to find a picture. Your dad would probably have had to pay for it as it is an extra cost item on all models I think.

He's just bought the car home, and it seems to have one.

It's a brand new Elegance on a '10' plate and has the variable boot floor. It's listed as a £140 option on Skoda's website but I was there when he bought it and he only spec'd Maxidot and spare wheel over std.

Anyway is there a boot liner for a car with variable boot floor?! :S

Edit: thanks for posting pics, it looks exactly like what he has.

Edited by naxtek

My elegance had the Variable Floor System which now has pride of place under the stairs!

It is quite easy to take out, by just unscrewing the visible screws and (from memory) twisting off two lashing points which fix the sides of the thing to the floor.

Once you have the lid and two side pieces out, you have a flat floor as per the lower spec cars.

I would keep the bits, because it seems to polarise opinion - if you just need volume, then its pointless, but if you want a tidy flat boot, with some handy side pockets then this is ideal. Either way its a cost option, which will eventually help resale.

Les.

Les

How did you get the sides out?. I am looking to buy for one to put in my new Octavia 4x4. Its a bog standard car -not ordered new but a dealer had a new one in stock luckilly. I think I can oder parts for but not sure how sides are fixed

Les

How did you get the sides out?. I am looking to buy for one to put in my new Octavia 4x4. Its a bog standard car -not ordered new but a dealer had a new one in stock luckilly. I think I can oder parts for but not sure how sides are fixed

I bought the Skoda rubber boot liner for my previous Ambiente Combi and then transfered it to my Elegance Combi. The sides for the false floor are held by the 2 large twist off clips.

The boot liner is great for carrying tools etc without messing up the carpets. The boot liner was about £40.

The sides are fitted by pushing the inner end under the "clip" at the back of the boot, slotting the brackets at the tailgate end over the hold down loops and twisting on the two large chrome clips (one each side).

The folding floor then drops in and the two clips hold the back third down to the sides (if suppleid after market these come dis-assembled in a plastic bag).

I have it in a Saloon (baffled the dealer til I showd them the part numbers in the accessory brochure) and it has its uses. Comes out when max volume is needed. When fitted the the floor is flat with the folded seat backs.

Mine is a company car so as an extra it cost a few pence on the lease.

I find the false floor in my Elegance estate extremely useful. I keep shopping bags, a foot pump and a couple of old shower curtains under it. It keeps my boot empty and stops them sliding around all over the place.

I find the false floor in my Elegance estate extremely useful. I keep shopping bags, a foot pump and a couple of old shower curtains under it. It keeps my boot empty and stops them sliding around all over the place.

But where do you keep the axe and rope? :giggle:

I bought the VBF as an extra, but have mixed feelings about it. I agree that it is useful for hiding clutter, but, having dogs, we tend to put them in the back seat, which then makes the VBF a nuisance, because you lose depth in the boot.

We have the VBF in our Scout and find it really useful for storing shoes, hats, coats, that sort of crap that usually just gets in the way. We also have the rubber mat for the boot and it works fine - the only thing is the edges flop down over the holes created on each side of the VBF. It doesn't really make any difference though and the rubber mat is definitely worth the investment if you are often putting dirty stuff, or pets in your boot.

We have the VBF in our Scout and find it really useful for storing shoes, hats, coats, that sort of crap that usually just gets in the way. We also have the rubber mat for the boot and it works fine - the only thing is the edges flop down over the holes created on each side of the VBF. It doesn't really make any difference though and the rubber mat is definitely worth the investment if you are often putting dirty stuff, or women in your boot.

:giggle:

I'm disappointed with the VBF. To me Variable suggests a bit more flexibility than just in or out of the car. If you need to take it out there's nowhere to store it without it taking up loads of room.

When in place you can't lift it up to put things under if you have boxes etc on the top that are only taking up the rear half of the boot floor.

What I had hoped for was some clever design where the floor could be raised or lowered to different heights without having to take it out.

• 1 year later...

Unapologetic bump of an old topic.......having been with my brother to buy him another Octavia estate with a Variable boot floor, I'm completely sold on the idea, it would be perfect for me as I carry an awful lot of stuff for work (wellies, gloves, hi viz, saws, hazard tape, tools, ropes, spray paint etc).

Thing is I have a mk1 vRS Hatch. Did they do one for the mk1 hatch? I've seen it for the mk2 but I dare say it wouldn't fit a mk1 and the estate version wouldn't fit either. I'm guessing the bracing bars in the back of a vRS would get in the way as well :(

Anyone ever seen one fitted in a hatch, any photos out there? It is obviously less of an advantage in a hatch (i.e. doesn't level out the sill to boot floor) but they must have sold a couple if it was available?

cheers

Tim

I don't recall ever seeing one for the mk1 Octavia but that not really saying anything, I guess you make get some more responses if you ask in the Octavia mk 1 forum.

John

He's just bought the car home, and it seems to have one.

It's a brand new Elegance on a '10' plate and has the variable boot floor. It's listed as a £140 option on Skoda's website but I was there when he bought it and he only spec'd Maxidot and spare wheel over std.

Anyway is there a boot liner for a car with variable boot floor?! :S

Edit: thanks for posting pics, it looks exactly like what he has.

I have justed collected my new Scout and it didn't come with variable floor. The dealer told me this only comes as standard when ordering a spare wheel, which I didn't.