Spare Wheel

Hi,

I've just had a double puncture and need a new tyre... I've got on the spare wheel, which is surprisingly good. It's a nice solid steel wheel, but it's got a 50mph limit marked. I don't understand this as it's basically full size, can't it be run at 70mph, until I get new tyres...

Cheers,

Ewan

If it says 50mph max then it says it for a reason.

If you do more than 50mph & then have an accident in which either you or 3rd party gets injured then beware of the lawyers, because they'll take you to the cleaners! Just stick to the 50mph restriction until you get the tyres done. Simple & Easy.

True, I understand the implications...

But technically it's a steel wheel, which I'm guessing is fitted to other VAG models. The studs don't have as large a bearing area, but steel is stronger than alloy.

Are different studs used on steel wheels? I'm questioning if it's a normal wheel with a badge slapped on or if the studs or the tyre are a limiting factor.

It may be possible to uprate by doing something simple, that's all I'm asking for the guru's.

Cheers,

Ewan

True, I understand the implications...

But technically it's a steel wheel, which I'm guessing is fitted to other VAG models. The studs don't have as large a bearing area, but steel is stronger than alloy.

Are different studs used on steel wheels? I'm questioning if it's a normal wheel with a badge slapped on or if the studs or the tyre are a limiting factor.

It may be possible to uprate by doing something simple, that's all I'm asking for the guru's.

Cheers,

Ewan

I think the speed a tyre is rated at is directly related to the rubber compound used, so I personally wouldn't go above the rated speed of the tyre, as the limiting factor is the actual rubber, not the rims or the tread of the tyre (unless it is worn of course).

Edited by NeilM27

I'm awaiting delivery of "full Size" spare wheel for 2010 Octavia SE . Car was supplied with pump & puncture aerosol . I'm told that full size spare wheel will be 195/65/15. Car has 205 /60/R15 V Dunlops on 6.5J Alloys fitted . I don't know what width/off-set the steel spare will be but I,m guessing that it will be a std. steel wheel from the 'S' model which are 6.0J fitted with 195/65/R15 91H tyres. Thus the steel wheel will be 1/2" narrower with the smaller width tyres. From "tyre calculator" web site The smaller width tyre is actually 7mm LARGER in diameter than the std SE Alloy wider tyre (1.12%). This difference in tyres is quite small .i.e.the spare is 10mm narrower and 7mm bigger than the std tyres . The biggest difference is in the wheel width of 1/2" ( 12.7mm) With all these differences I guess Skoda had little option but to put the speed limit at 50MPH even though the actual tyre speed rating on it's own may be 130MPH ('H' rating). It's a shame we can't have a "proper" full size wheel with std tyres and no speed limit rating. I'm not sure what the stud length requirement is for the reduced thickness of the steel wheel will be but we'll wait & see.

If any one knows where I can get hold of 6.5J 15" steel wheel with the same off-set as the alloys it would be most appreciated.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

I'm awaiting delivery of "full Size" spare wheel for 2010 Octavia SE . Car was supplied with pump & puncture aerosol . I'm told that full size spare wheel will be 195/65/15. Car has 205 /60/R15 V Dunlops on 6.5J Alloys fitted . I don't know what width/off-set the steel spare will be but I,m guessing that it will be a std. steel wheel from the 'S' model which are 6.0J fitted with 195/65/R15 91H tyres. Thus the steel wheel will be 1/2" narrower with the smaller width tyres. From "tyre calulator" web site The smaller width tyre is actually 7mm LARGER in diameter than the std SE Alloy wider tyre (1.12%). This difference in tyres is quite small .i.e.the spare is 10mm narrower and 7mm bigger than the std tyres . The biggest difference is in the wheel width of 1/2" ( 12.7mm) With all these differences I guess Skoda had little option but to put the speed limit at 50MPH even though the actual tyre speed rating on it's own may be 130MPH ('H' rating). It's a shame we can't have a "proper" full size wheel with std tyres and no speed limit rating. I'm not sure what the stud length requirement is for the reduced thickness of the steel wheel will be but we'll wait & see.

If any one knows where I can get hold of 6.5J 15" steel wheel with the same off-set as the alloys it would be most appreciated.

Out of interest what does the spare cost? Is it still the £50 that is stated if you buy it as an option when purchasing your car. Or is it more because you didn't buy it with the car? I foolishly didn't read the small print when ordering my VRS and am going to take delivery of a car with no spare just a repair kit.

I'd like to have the reassurance of a "real" wheel as a spare.

Out of interest what does the spare cost? Is it still the £50 that is stated if you buy it as an option when purchasing your car. Or is it more because you didn't buy it with the car? I foolishly didn't read the small print when ordering my VRS and am going to take delivery of a car with no spare just a repair kit.

I'd like to have the reassurance of a "real" wheel as a spare.

Knowing how much dealers like to sell you things, I can't believe I'm still reading things like this. I would think every dealer in the country would be saying... "would you like a spare wheel with that, sir?"

Maybe they're making a loss on them at £50 a pop so would rather you didn't order one.

Cost was £55 when car was ordered . I guess they gave me a "stock" car that matched my spec apart from the spare wheel .Dealer has promised to replace pump etc with proper spare wheel, jack ,wrench, cap removal tool, etc. . You may be right that they are not making any profit on the spare at this price. For me it was a no brainer option .

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

Let's hope they do make a loss on supplying a spare. Then perhaps they'll lobby Skoda UK to reverse their stupid policy of supplying cars without spare wheels.

I managed to add a spare wheel to my order this week, I didn't expect to be able to as it was ordered 2/3 weeks ago, but the dealer told me that if they hadn't got it through, a spare wheel put in after was £150 instead of £55 due to the addition of the jack etc, which is added in the factory when a spare wheel is ordered.

It's a bit of a rip off really, but it's still cheaper to pay £55 for a spare wheel rather than having to replace your wheel everytime you get a puncture by using the repair kit.

I managed to add a spare wheel to my order this week, I didn't expect to be able to as it was ordered 2/3 weeks ago, but the dealer told me that if they hadn't got it through, a spare wheel put in after was £150 instead of £55 due to the addition of the jack etc, which is added in the factory when a spare wheel is ordered.

It's a bit of a rip off really, but it's still cheaper to pay £55 for a spare wheel rather than having to replace your wheel everytime you get a puncture by using the repair kit.

£150! Dammit that's a silly mistake by me :(

As you say though even at £150 it's as much as 1 tyre when you ruin it with that gunk! So probably still money well invested, plus from previous experience of "repair" kits it's hit and miss as to whether it will work and you get home so again £150 is cheaper than getting a tow home.

Still I'm such a fool for not noticing when I ordered.. Grrrrr!

Let's hope they do make a loss on supplying a spare. Then perhaps they'll lobby Skoda UK to reverse their stupid policy of supplying cars without spare wheels.

I believe the decision stems more from savings in weight to help achieve emissions and tax thresholds, and economy figures than any putative cost cuttings. And they probably think they're negating the decision by offering it as a clearly subsidised option at £50 (hint: £5 would be better :D )

Is the spare wheel size of 195 65 R 15 91 T OK to use if car size wheels are 17"?

Spare will be O.K. Your 17" wheels have low profile tyres so that even though wheel diameter is bigger the outside tyre diameter remains about the same.

Should observe the 50mph limit though.

I believe the decision stems more from savings in weight to help achieve emissions and tax thresholds, and economy figures than any putative cost cuttings. And they probably think they're negating the decision by offering it as a clearly subsidised option at £50 (hint: £5 would be better :D )

Decision is all about cost & maximising profit.

Please check the differences between Octavia hatchback & Octavia estate.

That gunk is water soluble so if the tyre can be repaired if it hadn't got the gunk in it can be with the gunk - just means you have to fork out £35 every time you use the said gunk :thumbup:

I was out of the country working when I ordered my new FL Octavia VRS, and due to restrictions wasnt able to read any literature, on the optional extras. So i was a bit dissapointed when i collected mine and there was no spare wheel, unlike the MK1 Octavia.

I have just ordered a full size spare wheel from Hortons in Lincoln, due to pick it up ths week, £125 including all the gubbings and VAT.