Is it a fair price?

I've finally sorted my 1999 SLx TDi Estate so I now know its all ok as I had Belt w/pump and head gasket tyres and brakes done last year, but just been offered a 2005 2.0TDi six speed Elegance Est for £2500-00

the bad points

171000 miles

two bald tyres

possible head gasket failure as grey/black deposit in exspansion bottle but coolant clean

weird rattle when initialy depressing the clutch and occasionaly at tickover - gear selection perfect - no clutch slip or noise when driven

LH side - doors slight crease running length of car

All electrics seem perfect

New MOT

Drives lovely

Full service history on long life schedule

Cambelt done 2008 at 111000

I don't know these MKII cars at all so could somebody advise of potential problems and costs involved.

I'm a competant mechanic but do not have the facilities to change a clutch or head gasket so would have to pay to get it done.

Any advice greatly appreciated- Is it the bargain it first seems?

Edited by guzzigeezer

The cambelt is due, 60k miles or 4 years (which ever comes first)

I WOULD SAY NO :thumbdown:

TRY TO GET AN IDEA OF HOW MUCH IT GOING TO COST TO PUT IT RIGHT ,[HOW YOU WANT IT] ADD T THE PURCHASE PRICE ,THEN COMPARE TO LIKEWISE IN THE AUTO TRADER,

PS WHAT GUZZI U GOT I HAD A V11 SCURA :thumbup:

I WOULD SAY NO emoticon-0149-no.gif

TRY TO GET AN IDEA OF HOW MUCH IT GOING TO COST TO PUT IT RIGHT ,[HOW YOU WANT IT] ADD T THE PURCHASE PRICE ,THEN COMPARE TO LIKEWISE IN THE AUTO TRADER,

PS WHAT GUZZI U GOT I HAD A V11 SCURA emoticon-0148-yes.gif

MkII Black & Gold limited edition LeMans owned since 1981

Well I took the plunge and got the car for £2000.00 so I'm hoping I should come out on top. I don't do that many miles per year as I'm on motorbikes a lot of the time. I plan on keeping the car so the high mileage should even out. It was just too nice and shiny and red to turn down.

Do the DMF's explode? the clutch is only noisy at tickover in neutral with foot off the clutch pedal. The car drives really smoothly. So can I risk leaving it till it wears out?

80K replacement for the cambelt means I've still got 20K left on this one so only the potential head gasket problem to worry about (I hope)

Well I took the plunge and got the car for £2000.00 so I'm hoping I should come out on top. I don't do that many miles per year as I'm on motorbikes a lot of the time. I plan on keeping the car so the high mileage should even out. It was just too nice and shiny and red to turn down.

Do the DMF's explode? the clutch is only noisy at tickover in neutral with foot off the clutch pedal. The car drives really smoothly. So can I risk leaving it till it wears out?

80K replacement for the cambelt means I've still got 20K left on this one so only the potential head gasket problem to worry about (I hope)

Afraid you don't have 20k as it's 80k or 4 years... whichever is first!

The DMF's can go in a bad way for sure so if it's got to the point of being noisy then it's worth a good looking at and certainly keeping an eye on.

I'd say get it checked at a dealer and see what they say about how bad it is. You never know it might be something else making the noise.

If you're doing the HG won't the cambelt most likely come off anyway? If so and you're doing the cambelt it's worth putting a new water pump in too.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Given the fact the DMF/clutch needs doing plus cam belt, water pump and gasket, sort of, everything under the bonnet really. Is it worth just doing the bangernomics and, well, leaving it until it gives up? Might work out and cost nowt, otherwise you'll just spend a fortune on it.

I'd say just MOT it and service it and carry on.

Got a quote from "Mr Clutch" for DMF & Clutch for £750-00 all in. If you buy one of their loyalty cards for £20-00 you get 10% off any jobs so this brings it under £700.

National Tyres fitted four new budget 225/45-ZR17 94W for £200-00.

I've had a look and can do the cambelt + wp myself.

Driven the car over 300 miles now and the head seems OK.

Does anybody have any suggestions why you would get grey/black vapour in the expansion bottle if it's not the HG?

Below is a list of options fitted to my car. http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx I have looked on the forum but cannot find a definitive answer.

What does the 2UC sports version exactly specify? Just thinking forward incase I have to repair suspesion/brake parts.

E0A = No special edition

1D0 = Without trailer hitch

5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex

5RV = Right exterior mirror: aspherical

1KF = Disc brakes, rear

6FB = Body-colored exterior mirror housings

1AC = Anti-lock brake system (ABS)

3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)

1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)

1NL = Covers for alloy wheels

H6L = Tires 225/45 R17 91W

4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation

4R4 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker

3NW = Rear seat bench/backrest, split folding with center armrest

3QT = 3-point seat belts with tensioner and height adjustment, front

4X1 = Side air bag front

4A0 = Without seat heater

8L3 = Roof antenna

J0N = Battery 330 A (61 Ah)

7AH = Electronic vehicle immobilization devicewith alarm system, passenger compartmentcontrol and backup horn

8GU = Alternator 140 A

6Y0 = Without cruise control warning system

9AK = Climatronic with impact pressure control free of cfc

8RM = 8 speakers (passive)

7Q0 = Without navigation device

8YL = Radio with CD player

8QL = Key for locking system with remote control

8X1 = Headlight washer system

4K3 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside and safe securing

B09 = Type approval Great Britain and NorthernIreland

G09 = Front shock absorption

QN1 = Drawer under left front seat

3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats

9P1 = Seat belt reminder, electric contact in buckle

7X2 = Park distance control, front and rear

9W0 = W/o car phone preparation/installation

8WB = Front fog lights

7A2 = CD changer

3GN = Variable cargo area concept

QG1 = Service interval prolongation

0GG = Emission standard EU4