Will this work?

I think that is the same as the one I bought last year. Seems to work OK. I used it a few times to scan SWMBOs Fabia for fault codes and turn off the engine management light.

I think that it only covers engine, ABS, SRS and auto transmission. So it won't scan the convenience module for faults.

Edited by ExAudiSi

Thinking of getting one of these to save money on garage bills

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150420083211&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anyone know if it will work on a mk1 vrs? or better still does anyone gave one?

cheers

yes, got one last year for my octy tdi mk1 and they do work and can turn off engine light etc and it comes with a book of fault codes..Very much worth the money .

Hello,

I bought this;the U280

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001KSZQNM/ref=oss_product

I think the difference between the U280 & the U281 is that the U280 is OBD2 only compatible (vag), the U281 is OBD2 AND can bus compatible,so you could use it with other cars as well as VAG

You could therefore save yourself a few quid & get the U280 from Amazon if you only wish to use it on your Octy.

As for performance of the unit.....well I'm happy with it bearing in mind what I paid for it, as regards what it does,but although it claims it reads and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) of Engine, ABS, Airbags and Automatic Transmission,in my experience (on my '52 aum Octy 1.8t & a neighbours '05 Golf tdi) it only read (& dealt with) the engine.

On mine it found one error code 17963 iirc, boost limit exceeded (nothing to worry about unless it goes into limp mode,as it's been remapped).The Golf was clear.

It will attempt to scan the other 3 systems,but comes up "data link error".

As a minor point of note, on the Octy it scanned the engine with the ignition key in position 1,on the Golf it needed to be position 2

Many thanks for your replies and help, think for the sake of £26 i'll get one ordered. The first time i use it to diagnose i'll save on a typical £45 diagnostic job on an engine management light.

I've got one of these badboys: http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=12248

Didn't pay £300 for it though! Got mine for £70 ex-demo.

It's great, never had any issues and it does everything you need for DIY maintenance.

I'd say at that price get that one off ebay. You need a code scanner if you want to have any chance of maintaining a modern car!

Double your budget and you could get one that reads alot more cars rather than just VAG cars, read friend's and families cars and earn a few beer tokens, soon get it to pay for itself.