Timing belt replacement period

The service book for my Octavia 2 shows replacement of timing belt at 120,000km. When arranging for a 60,000km service I was told that the belt should be changed at 4years (which is now).

Surely timing belts are expected to have a longer life than this, or are the dealers just drumming up more work as I have been quoted over £300 for the job. Also, why should there be a discrepancy?

I would be grateful for any views on this.

Edited by Don Thirlwall

I agree that the VW group are crying wolf far too early on belt replacements. 80,000 miles is the recommended mileage for my Octavia but, your right, they're now saying "or 4 years as failures have been known in the 4th year".

They are obviously covering themselves. Dont know where your dealer got that totally insane price from. I have been quoted £340. I asked about water pump replacement and their service manager said it wasn't necessary and that they'd never had a problem with them. I said i thought that it was a Skoda recommendation that this should be done and he said no, not at all.

He said he would replace it if i wanted but definitely not necessary. So there you go. Some say it must be done, some say not nec. Who's right?

There's a full on discussion in another thread Check out the last post here

I couldn't say who's right and I doubt there's a definitive answer.

The water pump is little money to replace at the same time. Many on this site will tell you of leaking pumps a few weeks after a belt change. They can also fail badly and bring the belt down with it.

I had my belt & water pump changed at just under 52k miles

My Car is a 07 Plate vRS and i insisted on the belt change due to being Tuned to Stage 2+

They asked me if i wanted the Pump doing and i said only if needed. They inspected the pump and it was leaking ever so slightly so rather than take the risk i had it changed. Especially as it was only £100 extra.

For a 3rd Variable Service, Cambelt & Water Pump change came to £646.

£3000 is ridiculous. If your prepared to pay that i'll do it for you for £1500 :p

Carl :thumbup:

My Car is a 07 Plate vRS and i insisted on the belt change due to being Tuned to Stage 2+

They asked me if i wanted the Pump doing and i said only if needed. They inspected the pump and it was leaking ever so slightly so rather than take the risk i had it changed. Especially as it was only £100 extra.

For a 3rd Variable Service, Cambelt & Water Pump change came to £646.

£3000 is ridiculous. If your prepared to pay that i'll do it for you for £1500 :p

Carl :thumbup:

Sorry Carl, you don't get the job. The price was £300 not £3000 but thanks anyway.

Don

I will be doing the same at somewhere between 50-60k tops. It may be erring waaay on the side of caution but I just ain't going to take the chance.

At the moment my variable services are coming in at around 15,000 miles.

My last service a week or so ago was at 46,500.

I'm fully expecting my next to be around 60,000 miles and the car will be around 4yrs old so I think I'll get the belt/pump done at the next variable.

Just to be on the safe side.