Spare wheel

Got my new fabia at the begining of the month and whilst looking at what they put in the spare wheel part i was surprised to find a spare wheel! didnt order one so its a bonus.

however its a 195/55 15r and my fabia has 205/45 r16, is this compatible? albiet i suppose for a max speed of 50mph

There are spare wheel kits available, with jack, wheelbrace and securing strap, etc, I am told that this would be a steel wheel and not a matching alloy!

Not sure about the sizing as I think it needs to be the same rolling diameter but dont quote me there!

If it is, this would be a so called skinny spare and, yes, the 50mph limit would be correct. Also, it cannot be used for the purpose of a driving test.

I think some models had a spare but I am also to believe this is changing and that all new cars will come with the tyre repair kit and compressor to "save weight"! (Or make you buy a spare... you deside)!!! :dull:

Exactly the same on my Roomy, although I actually specified the spare. There is enough space in the well for a full sized spare but it seems Skoda rationalised the spare at the time it introduced the goo can. The spare should have a yellow 50mph sticker on it.

The spare is a definite bonus. I recently potholed a front tyre, which the goo can would not have fixed at the roadside.

Incidentally, a goo-canned tyre cannot be repaired and has to be scrapped.

Rob

Well my car should not have came with a spare but it has. i was actually looking for the goo can when i found the spare but the spare is a 15in wheel and the fabia 3 has 16in as standard.

Will it still work as 50mph spare.

No need to take a driving test thankfully, would need to have one of the area managers take mine if i did as i work for the driving standards agency.

Well my car should not have came with a spare but it has. i was actually looking for the goo can when i found the spare but the spare is a 15in wheel and the fabia 3 has 16in as standard.

Will it still work as 50mph spare.

Yes I have the same with my Fabia and have unfortunately had the need to use it twice in as many months. One the second occasion my garage informed that a goo can would have been no help whatsoever (I had run over a balance weight that had fallen off someone else's wheel).

A recently retired Police friend of mine advised me that the 50mph sticker is there because otherwise the vehicle would not be legal on the road - wheels should be the same size on the same axle.

Pete

Whilst your spare is a different size (15 inches instead of 16 inches), the height of the15 inch spare tyre is more than the height of your 16 inch tyres. So overall, the size of your spare wheel is the same as your fitted wheels.

Whilst your spare is a different size (15 inches instead of 16 inches), the height of the15 inch spare tyre is more than the height of your 16 inch tyres. So overall, the size of your spare wheel is the same as your fitted wheels.

This is true - I took it for granted that people would work that out for themselves but you're probably right to state what seems bleeding obvious to me ;-)

The reason I'm told for the need to have the 50mph sticker is not the diameter of the spare but the width. The tyre being 10mm narrower than standard and having deeper (and thus more flexible) sidewalls could mean that the handling becomes unpredictable in higher speed manouevres so a speed restriction is required to maintain a safety margin.

Edited by pete-d

This is true - I took it for granted that people would work that out for themselves but you're probably right to state what seems bleeding obvious to me ;-)

The reason I'm told for the need to have the 50mph sticker is not the diameter of the spare but the width.

This is true, but also, the depth of tyre DOES need to be the same on the same axle. The skinny spare is a loophole, inflicted upon us via Brussels!