Got a Tiptronic Box and access to VAG-COM ?

Kids away during the bank holiday weekend with the in-laws and bored I was looking around on the internet at all things Superb and somehow stumbled on this thread on passatworld

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116118&highlight=sport+mode

and was intrigued to find out that the Tiptronic box has a ‘sport mode’.

Having never been too happy with the auto box and the way it shifts (all fluids changed and box ok) I thought I’d look into it more.

Just some background first, it seems that the Tiptronic box comes from the factory with DSP (Dynamic Shift Programme) enabled and the Tiptronic strategy set to ‘New’.

In summary :

DSP

The DSP senses your driving style and adjusts the shift pattern to it. Pottering around I often found that the car would seem to change up a little earlier than I would like would seem to be under more load than necessary i.e. in a manual car I would not have changed up. In the Skoda Manual DSP is explained thus :

Dynamic shift programme

The automatic gearbox of your vehicle is controlled electronically. Shifting up and down through the gears is performed automatically on the basis of pre-defined driving programmes.

Adopting a moderate style of driving will cause the gearbox to select the most economical driving programme. Shifting up into a higher gear as soon as possible and shifting down as late as possible will have a favourable effect on your fuel consumption.

Adopting a faster style of driving with rapid movements of the accelerator pedal combined with sharp acceleration and frequent changes in speed, exploiting the top speed of the car or operating the kickdown function, will cause the gearbox to switch over to the sporty driving programme. Shifting up later into a higher gear makes it possible to fully exploit the power reserves of the engine. The gearbox also then shifts down at higher engine speeds than is the case for the economy-oriented programmes.

Selecting the most appropriate driving programme for the particular style of driving is a continuous process. Irrespective of this it is, however, possible to switch into a sporty driving programme by depressing the accelerator rapidly. The gearbox shifts down into a lower gear matching the speed of the car and this allows you to accelerate rapidly (e.g. when overtaking) without having to depress the accelerator pedal fully into the kickdown range. The original programme will be reactivated to match your particular style of driving once the gearbox has shifted up again.

When driving in hilly regions, the gears are selected to match uphill and downhill sections. This avoids the gearbox frequently shifting up and down when negotiating an uphill stretch. Depressing the brake pedal while driving downhill causes the gearbox to shift down into the next lower gear. This makes it possible for you to exploit the engine braking power without the need for shifting gears manually

Therefore turning this off would effectively switch to the [sic] ‘sporty driving programme’

Tiptronic Strategy

Ever noticed when you're driving, using the tiptronic, that when you down change for a corner, hit the throttle on the apex only to find the box downshifts to a lower gear – this is the ‘New Strategy’ in operation. I personally don’t like this and the ‘Old Strategy’ removes this and holds the selected gear, it also allows the box to get the engine closer to the red line under hard acceleration before forcing an upshift.

So preamble over and after reading through the thread a few times, armed with my laptop and VAG-COM I thought I’d have a play.

Sorry, wanted to add screenshots here but struggling to do that - if anyone wants these drop em a PM and I'll create a pdf and forward it on.

Open up VCDS and click the ‘Select Control Module Button'

Click the ’02 - Auto Trans’ Button

Click the ‘Coding - 07’ Button

You will be presented with the current coding of the gearbox control module, my car was originally set to ‘01103’ which, going by the help in VAG-COM, indicates :

Byte 1 0 - Always zero

Byte 2 1 - Tiptronic Buttons/ Paddles installed

Byte 3 1 - New Strategy

Byte 4 0 - DSP Active

Byte 5 3 - FWD (Rest of World)

Standard caveat here, if you do plan on changing any coding make a note of the original so you can revert back and I won’t be held responsible for any damage to anybody elses car etc.

Now my car has the optional sports pack and has no steering wheel buttons (3 spoke wheel) – not sure if the 4 spoke wheel does so I set that to ‘0’.

I wanted to select the old tiptronic strategy and turn off DSP so I ended up putting in ‘00013’

Byte 1 0 - Always zero

Byte 2 0 - Tiptronic Buttons/ Paddles not installed

Byte 3 0 - Old Tiptronic Strategy

Byte 4 1 - DSP Inactive

Click in the Software Coding box and update the string (remember 5 characters with the first always zero)

Then click ‘Do It!’

You can then close the controller and VCDS.

Go for a test drive and see what you think.

It will never equal the 'S' button on my old 9-5 Aero for changing the characteristics of the car but my first impressions are that the car is more spritely with it changing to my mind more in line with how I would expect it to. It’s too early to tell but my average mpg doesn't seem to have suffered.

Edited by Cledwen

• 10 months later...

Kids away during the bank holiday weekend with the in-laws and bored I was looking around on the internet at all things Superb and somehow stumbled on this thread on passatworld

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116118&highlight=sport+mode

and was intrigued to find out that the Tiptronic box has a ‘sport mode’.

Having never been too happy with the auto box and the way it shifts (all fluids changed and box ok) I thought I’d look into it more.

Just some background first, it seems that the Tiptronic box comes from the factory with DSP (Dynamic Shift Programme) enabled and the Tiptronic strategy set to ‘New’.

In summary :

DSP

The DSP senses your driving style and adjusts the shift pattern to it. Pottering around I often found that the car would seem to change up a little earlier than I would like would seem to be under more load than necessary i.e. in a manual car I would not have changed up. In the Skoda Manual DSP is explained thus :

Dynamic shift programme

The automatic gearbox of your vehicle is controlled electronically. Shifting up and down through the gears is performed automatically on the basis of pre-defined driving programmes.

Adopting a moderate style of driving will cause the gearbox to select the most economical driving programme. Shifting up into a higher gear as soon as possible and shifting down as late as possible will have a favourable effect on your fuel consumption.

Adopting a faster style of driving with rapid movements of the accelerator pedal combined with sharp acceleration and frequent changes in speed, exploiting the top speed of the car or operating the kickdown function, will cause the gearbox to switch over to the sporty driving programme. Shifting up later into a higher gear makes it possible to fully exploit the power reserves of the engine. The gearbox also then shifts down at higher engine speeds than is the case for the economy-oriented programmes.

Selecting the most appropriate driving programme for the particular style of driving is a continuous process. Irrespective of this it is, however, possible to switch into a sporty driving programme by depressing the accelerator rapidly. The gearbox shifts down into a lower gear matching the speed of the car and this allows you to accelerate rapidly (e.g. when overtaking) without having to depress the accelerator pedal fully into the kickdown range. The original programme will be reactivated to match your particular style of driving once the gearbox has shifted up again.

When driving in hilly regions, the gears are selected to match uphill and downhill sections. This avoids the gearbox frequently shifting up and down when negotiating an uphill stretch. Depressing the brake pedal while driving downhill causes the gearbox to shift down into the next lower gear. This makes it possible for you to exploit the engine braking power without the need for shifting gears manually

Therefore turning this off would effectively switch to the [sic] ‘sporty driving programme’

Tiptronic Strategy

Ever noticed when you're driving, using the tiptronic, that when you down change for a corner, hit the throttle on the apex only to find the box downshifts to a lower gear – this is the ‘New Strategy’ in operation. I personally don’t like this and the ‘Old Strategy’ removes this and holds the selected gear, it also allows the box to get the engine closer to the red line under hard acceleration before forcing an upshift.

So preamble over and after reading through the thread a few times, armed with my laptop and VAG-COM I thought I’d have a play.

Sorry, wanted to add screenshots here but struggling to do that - if anyone wants these drop em a PM and I'll create a pdf and forward it on.

Open up VCDS and click the ‘Select Control Module Button'

Click the ’02 - Auto Trans’ Button

Click the ‘Coding - 07’ Button

You will be presented with the current coding of the gearbox control module, my car was originally set to ‘01103’ which, going by the help in VAG-COM, indicates :

Byte 1 0 - Always zero

Byte 2 1 - Tiptronic Buttons/ Paddles installed

Byte 3 1 - New Strategy

Byte 4 0 - DSP Active

Standard caveat here, if you do plan on changing any coding make a note of the original so you can revert back and I won’t be held responsible for any damage to anybody elses car etc.

Now my car has the optional sports pack and has no steering wheel buttons (3 spoke wheel) – not sure if the 4 spoke wheel does so I set that to ‘0’.

I wanted to select the old tiptronic strategy and turn off DSP so I ended up putting in ‘00013’

Byte 1 0 - Always zero

Byte 2 0 - Tiptronic Buttons/ Paddles not installed

Byte 3 0 - Old Tiptronic Strategy

Byte 4 1 - DSP Inactive

Click in the Software Coding box and update the string (remember 5 characters with the first always zero)

Then click ‘Do It!’

You can then close the controller and VCDS.

Go for a test drive and see what you think.

It will never equal the 'S' button on my old 9-5 Aero for changing the characteristics of the car but my first impressions are that the car is more spritely with it changing to my mind more in line with how I would expect it to. It’s too early to tell but my average mpg doesn't seem to have suffered.

Hi Cledwen. I know this is a very late response to your post, but I've just done what you did on my own auto 2.5 TDI. Your instructions were easy to follow and the auto box now changes much more smoothly. I live in the country and have loads of bends to negotiate. It's much better now, so THANKS!

http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0100-smile.gif

• 2 years later...

Brilliant post, just tried it on my skoda and is great. Just wanted to check if this has any effect on mpg? Thanks