Single mass flywheel conversion - I have been converted

My Octavia ('05 1.9tdi) had developed the infamous failing dual mass flywheel, vibration and chatter. Finally got it replaced today with the genuine conversion kit from VAG (massive waiting list at the moment I was waiting for 3 months!).

Initial impressions are great, vibration is virtually non-existant, no different to the dual mass flywheel when it was working, there is also no more extra noise from the transmission. Clutch operation is lighter and more progressive with far better feel.

The massive improvement though is in driveability you can now drive the car on the torque of the engine making it a lot more flexible without loads of gearchanges, slow moving traffic is now bliss without having to rev the engine up to 1500 rpm to stop the shuddering.

I highly recommend that if you have a dodgy dual mass flywheel to get it replaced with a single mass conversion, it turns the car into what it shouold have left the factory as.

Price wise I was quoted over £900 to get this done by various Skoda dealers in my area, however I went with DSB Autocare in Nottingham and the work was done to the usual efficient high standard at a good few hundered less than the main dealer, cheers Dave.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, also I am willing to let people have a drive if they are unsure to get their car converted or remain with a dual mass.

HTH

so how did you go about ordering the flywheel kit? i looked into this a number of months ago but couldn't get any straight answers, often being told that no such thing existed for the mk2 octy. My flywheel seems to be ok (touch wood) after a synchro ring and oil replacement in the gearbox fixed the judder i was getting, but i'm heart scared it will shred itself at the most inopportune time (which for me is anytime!).

What worries me about these posts is that here I see only positive statements about the SMF, but when we thought the "new to me" 56-reg Octy 's juddering might be the DMF, the local agent was telling me that they had fitted two SMF's to taxis but both had been back to be changed to DMF's within months because of the roughness.

Are there different weights of SMF? I'm used to boat engines and the Octy DMF seems to feel very light for a flywheel for a diesel.

Reversing uphill round a corner from my path with two or three passengers still feels as if the clutch/flywheel combination is about to fly apart, so I remain worried. The same reverse with no passengers is OK, as are forward starts.

so how did you go about ordering the flywheel kit? i looked into this a number of months ago but couldn't get any straight answers, often being told that no such thing existed for the mk2 octy. My flywheel seems to be ok (touch wood) after a synchro ring and oil replacement in the gearbox fixed the judder i was getting, but i'm heart scared it will shred itself at the most inopportune time (which for me is anytime!).

The kit can be ordered from TPS or any VAG dealer however many of the dealers in my area deny all knowledge that a SMF option exists

Mine was only £420 fitted at the dealers last year

Is it a genuine kit? Aftermarket kits can be cheaper. Was there any goodwill discount the parts alone are more than that perhaps you just paid for labour?

What worries me about these posts is that here I see only positive statements about the SMF, but when we thought the "new to me" 56-reg Octy 's juddering might be the DMF, the local agent was telling me that they had fitted two SMF's to taxis but both had been back to be changed to DMF's within months because of the roughness.

Are there different weights of SMF? I'm used to boat engines and the Octy DMF seems to feel very light for a flywheel for a diesel.

Reversing uphill round a corner from my path with two or three passengers still feels as if the clutch/flywheel combination is about to fly apart, so I remain worried. The same reverse with no passengers is OK, as are forward starts.

I think the SMF is fine as good if not smoother than a fully functioning DMF, if you live any where Derby Nottingham you are more than welcome to drive my car see what you think.

Edited by Alex

I think the SMF is fine as good if not smoother than a fully functioning DMF, if you live any where Derby Nottingham you are more than welcome to drive my car see what you think.

Many thanks. Unfortunately I'm just a little way beyond Chester.

• 2 months later...

My Octavia ('05 1.9tdi) had developed the infamous failing dual mass flywheel, vibration and chatter. Finally got it replaced today with the genuine conversion kit from VAG (massive waiting list at the moment I was waiting for 3 months!).

Initial impressions are great, vibration is virtually non-existant, no different to the dual mass flywheel when it was working, there is also no more extra noise from the transmission. Clutch operation is lighter and more progressive with far better feel.

The massive improvement though is in driveability you can now drive the car on the torque of the engine making it a lot more flexible without loads of gearchanges, slow moving traffic is now bliss without having to rev the engine up to 1500 rpm to stop the shuddering.

I highly recommend that if you have a dodgy dual mass flywheel to get it replaced with a single mass conversion, it turns the car into what it shouold have left the factory as.

Price wise I was quoted over £900 to get this done by various Skoda dealers in my area, however I went with DSB Autocare in Nottingham and the work was done to the usual efficient high standard at a good few hundered less than the main dealer, cheers Dave.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, also I am willing to let people have a drive if they are unsure to get their car converted or remain with a dual mass.

HTH

Thanks for the help.

I live in ireland my Octavia is 07 tdi 1.9 tdi

do you think your man could tell me where to get the kit or could they give me a price for this job if i travel . I have seen some where that skoda have produced a kit can you or anyone tell me if this is true and if so where ?

once again thanks for your help

Cookstown Motor Works in Cookstown Ind Est, Tallaght should be able to source and fit the single mass flywheel for you, or you could go to Pheonix Motors but they are a main dealer and will be a lot dearer.

01-4140088 for Cookstown Motor Works (Gary)

I have done just over 60,000 on my single system with no problems, you can even get them off ebay, then take it to an indi as its just like changing a clutch

HTH

Do you know the VAG product Number / Can you give me contact details of where i can get this kit ?

Thank's for your help again.

Do you know the VAG product Number / Can you give me contact details of where i can get this kit ?

Thank's for your help again.

As I said in post #17 You can get the kit from a main dealer (Pheonix Motors, Dublin) or the garage I referred to, I know has done a lot of Octavia taxis and he is well familiar with them at this stage.

A phone call to the main dealer with your model and reg number will get you the part number you need and then you could try GSF or Otto car parts.

As I said in post #17 You can get the kit from a main dealer (Pheonix Motors, Dublin) or the garage I referred to, I know has done a lot of Octavia taxis and he is well familiar with them at this stage.

A phone call to the main dealer with your model and reg number will get you the part number you need and then you could try GSF or Otto car parts.

Thank's for your help .

Sorry new to this site .

Thank's for your help .

Sorry new to this site .

Nothing to be sorry for.

Pheonix 01-4279403

Ottto 01-4000060

GSF 01-4606062

Cookstown Motor Works (Gary or Steve) 01-4140088

PM me if you ever decide to go to Cookstown, I'll ask him to be nice to you.

I believe its a job well worth doing.