normal operating temp on 1.3 MPI?

My felicia is running a temp of 88ish most of the time. Hadnt noticed it so high before, usually hit that mark and then dropped to 75 ish when running normally. I figure the stat opens at 88, but have had heaters on for months when its been at the 75 level. just wanted to know if this sounds right or if im missing something more sinister? The stat was broken when i got her in july, but new one sorted that problem.

Normal operating temperature should be in the middle, of the gauge which is around 90 i think so yours sounds fine. It should sit there all the time when driving unless stopped at lights and it might go up slightly for obvious reasons. If its staying around 75 it might be worth just checking to see if it hasn't broke again or possibly changing the sensor

cool, cheers for that. Checked stat, is fine. whats the difference between sensor with blue ring and yellow ring? nabbed a yellow one off a mk1 1.3mpi, but mines blue...

all internal combustion engines run at a temperature of 90degree, this is because of the thermal propeties that propel the engine (a cooler liquid mean that more BTU{energy} is wasted by absorcion of the liquid oposed to expansion

i would personaly love to see vehicles run @ 100 degrees Water temperature and a longer stroke, they would give exelent F.E.

thanks for that

I figure the stat would opent at 88, thats what it says on the box lol. My issue was that it used to get too 88, dump to the rad and cool to 75-80. Lost 2 cars (admittedly one was a fiat) to HGF, and really cant afford to be doing stuff like that on the felly right now. Much as it would be amusing and somewhat therapeutic as i dont get to play with engines much these days, i just dont have the time to do it if it were to go!

More concerned about the knocking on nearside front wheel...seems like CV joint at first glance, balljoint showing little play, spring and damper are good. is there something about a rubber cushion ive seen mentioned? it is a bit shaky at (lol) speed.. :no:

dont rule out the bottom ball joint, both of mine had issues with knocking noises but no apparent play in the joints

Can feel it through the floor on the passenger side i guess. Wheres the anti roll bar mounts? was expecting to see a drag link of sorts but not glaringly obvious...or is it them micey rubber ones like on the Polo?

I have never understood why simple everyday engines cannot be cooled be a light oil (like diesel, or sunflower oil).

This would eliminate corrosion problems in the cooling system, and stop it freezing in the winter (the pump would be better protected against wear, and probably run a bit quiter too).

Does anyone know if this has been done?

Im also pretty sure a light oil would have excellent thermal capicity (possibly better than water), and therefore be able to dissapate heat better.

also if the head gasket blew, light oil getting into the cylinders would have much less potential to damage an engline than water.

thoughts anyone?

Pretty sure someone on here will have or have owned a Mk1 VW beetle..they were oil cooled....probably why they are still popular in red hot countries like the Austrailian outback....

maybe they were air cooled... :giggle:

Edited by wilse78

all internal combustion engines run at a temperature of 90degree, this is because of the thermal propeties that propel the engine (a cooler liquid mean that more BTU{energy} is wasted by absorcion of the liquid oposed to expansion

i would personaly love to see vehicles run @ 100 degrees Water temperature and a longer stroke, they would give exelent F.E.

Thats not true at all, not even slightly.

Many cars run at a normal operating temperature of 80 degrees, including Alfa Romeos and Mercedes.

Manufacturers such as VAG, Peugeot etc. normally have engines designed to run at 90 degrees.

Most Vauxhall/Opel cars run at a normal operating temperature of 100 degrees. with the fan not cutting in at its first speed until 105 degrees. They don't give excellent fuel economy, no different to any other car.

There is more to fuel efficiency than thermal efficiency, they are related but aren't vastly affected by either. At 80 - 100 degrees the thermal absorption of heat energy into the engine block/head/oil/coolant is negligable compared to the energy produced by combustion anyway.

It is more complicate than that, but it wouldn't work preaching thermodynamics about.

This isn't a rant but wanted to set the facts straight.