Comparison of technical details for Mini Cooper S 1.6 and the new Skoda vRS

Calling all those technical whizzes, can anyone explain in simple terms how the two cars compare? i.e where the two cars have an advantage over the other and how/where the driver would notice the difference!

Cooper S 184 HP @ 5500 rpm

240 NM @1600 - 5000 rpm

260 NM @ 1700 - 4500 rpm

0-62 = 7 secs

Skoda vRS 180 HP @ 6200 rpm

250 NM @ 2000 - 4500 rpm

0-62 = 7.3 secs

To me, it doesn't look as if there's much to choose between them, but I'm no expert! :)

Thanks in advance.............

Edited by bingo765

The mini is......well, small :giggle: and therefore accelerates quicker. the power and Torque also comes in earlier which suggests you have to rev the vrs more to get the benefit.

Id still have the vrs too.......you cant fit 4 people in comfort, loads of luggage and you will have a bigger hole in your pocket with the mini

Am I getting the impression the mini is more powerful them?

Don't worry, I wouldn't have a mini, a skoda everytime for me :)

4BHP More, note a really big difference and the DSG should see you keep up with it anyway

There are two torque figures quoted on the Mini as it has an "Overboost" function, pointless IMHO it should just be running at max all the time

4BHP More, note a really big difference and the DSG should see you keep up with it anyway

There are two torque figures quoted on the Mini as it has an "Overboost" function, pointless IMHO it should just be running at max all the time

Overboost is a system to give very high levels of boost in transient situations (e.g. brief acceleration during overtaking). Continuous running in this mode would cause damage.

but you're comparing a spacious 5 door fit 4 adults, big boot more exclusive with a retro thing 2+2 tiny boot nothing special these days as there's loads of mini's on the road.

I have to agree with you on that score, there's too many minis on the road and always like to have something different...the skoda certainly is!

Just a little niggle about the 1.4 engine being highly tuned to 180bhp, so many of my mechanic friends are advising me to beware that with an engine so highly stressed, it won't last as long as say, a 2.0 litre tuned to 180bhp!

I guess I'll have to take the chance ,but doesn't anyone when they buy something new?? :)

I think people are comparing apples and oranges here. The Fabia is not in direct competition with the Mini. Minis are nowadays very much a woman's car - perhaps single women or a second car used by wife. Probably 80% of the Minis I see are driven by women. The Fabia is more likely to be used as a small family car.

I wonder what the difference in Power to weight is between them is?

And of course the difference in price.

I think the Bini Cooper and the Mk1 Fabia vRS were quite similar (in performance and price), as Top and 5th Gear proved. I wonder if they will have another race between these new cars, (probably not as the vRS is not Diesel).

Edited by Jim H

but you're comparing a spacious 5 door fit 4 adults, big boot more exclusive with a retro thing 2+2 tiny boot nothing special these days as there's loads of mini's on the road.

So....your comparing a Roomster with a Mini?

:rofl:

They both carry dogs dont they , only the Skoda has its in the boot & not the drivers seat :peek: :sweat::devil:

OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Handbags at 20 paces, girls! :giggle:

I think someone had the correct answer, with the Apples and Oranges thing, though.... Too many differences and not enough direct comparisons.

The Cooper has the POSE factor and a great heritage, both with the old "Proper" Cooper and with BMW, but is still a glorified town car, albiet a nippy one, with good roadholding.

For practicality, motorway usage, etc, and still a bit of "Poke", I would go for the Fabia, though but if you get a Tangerine one, I will personally come round and shoot you, your family and your nextdoor neighbours! :giggle:

Overboost is a system to give very high levels of boost in transient situations (e.g. brief acceleration during overtaking). Continuous running in this mode would cause damage.

Ummmmm No,

Do you think all of the heavily remapped cars on this forum go bang left right and centre?

Such a small increase of torque isnt going to put an awful lot more stress on the engine, driveline or chassis, it might as well just be there all the time.