VRS bluetooth joke

As stated in my other topic have ordered my new car but WHY do skoda not let us have a factory bluetooth with a steering wheel on a manual car this surely would be a winner in terms of sales would probably sell more of these than dsg boxes. I just dont get it in this day and age why cant they do it I cant see it being to difficult so now it looks like we have got to add a parrot or something along those lines just because we didnt want a bloody flappy paddle gearbox. :p

The poor choices are the fault of Skoda UK, the importer, not Skoda CZ. What they are thinking is beyond me

What cant you have folding mirrors in a VRS or BT on the manual car? Thats just for starters! I would've spent a lot more on better options for mine had they been made available - they are losing a lot of money in potential extra sales.

I would've spent a lot more on better options for mine had they been made available - they are losing a lot of money in potential extra sales.

This is the bit i don't get. There was another ~£500 in options to be had out of me. It's money Skoda will never see now, i have to go aftermarket for the things i want.

Have to agree it's seems very poor strategy and as daft as it may be it may actually stop me leasing one as my next company car as going DSG etc will take me over budget and that defeats the object of me choosing the VRS and pocketing some money at the same time

The poor choices are the fault of Skoda UK, the importer, not Skoda CZ. What they are thinking is beyond me

What cant you have folding mirrors in a VRS or BT on the manual car? Thats just for starters! I would've spent a lot more on better options for mine had they been made available - they are losing a lot of money in potential extra sales.

Agreed that Skoda Uk don't seem to understand the market especially when you read about the number of people that would have opted for the folding mirrors, but Skoda HQ seem to muddy the water re the Bluetooth option as the MFSW is only available on the vRS if you go for DSG as per the main brochure from them.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Catalogue/NewOctavia/NewOctaviaRS_Catalogue_ENG.pdf

Buy DSG then, it's awesome :)

I completely agree - it is 'awesome' and I was one of the few who wanted bluetooth fitted / integrated and thought 'what the hell - lets go DSG'. And no regrets - and the integrated bluetooth is excellent as well.

I'm just guessing here, but...

Volkswagen is Skoda's parent company, and they are very clever at positioning the brands in their portfolio to maximize profitability. Skoda is supposed to be Volkswagen's 'budget' brand. As has already been said in many other posts, in the past couple of years, Skoda has been getting 'too good' - the current waiting lists are incredibly long.

It would make sense that, despite potentially 'damaging' the short-term reputation and sales of Skoda (which, given the waiting lists, isn't such a terrible thing business-wise), it's in VAG's best interests to artificially limit and hold back Skoda, to force more people up into VWs, Audis and Seats.

I think we are seeing this lately with the spec level cutbacks, and limiting the options list could possibly be another case of this.

I'm just guessing here, but...

Volkswagen is Skoda's parent company, and they are very clever at positioning the brands in their portfolio to maximize profitability. Skoda is supposed to be Volkswagen's 'budget' brand. As has already been said in many other posts, in the past couple of years, Skoda has been getting 'too good' - the current waiting lists are incredibly long.

It would make sense that, despite potentially 'damaging' the short-term reputation and sales of Skoda (which, given the waiting lists, isn't such a terrible thing business-wise), it's in VAG's best interests to artificially limit and hold back Skoda, to force more people up into VWs, Audis and Seats.

I think we are seeing this lately with the spec level cutbacks, and limiting the options list could possibly be another case of this.

Well, if this is the case then VW do not have this as a corporate view. In Norway the list of add-ons isn't reduced in comparison to VW or the other "better" brands.....

Well, if this is the case then VW do not have this as a corporate view. In Norway the list of add-ons isn't reduced in comparison to VW or the other "better" brands.....

Probably because the UK is a bigger market, certainly more "key" and more sensitive than Norway.

I point everybody to the recent "It's a Golf but not a Golf" adverts that have been running on tv. VW is not happy about the growing popularity of the Skoda brand in the UK and is now doing something about it - withness the lack of BT on manual cars, removal of folding mirrors, soundproofing.........the list goes on and will keep growing.

Its getting even worse with the introduction of the latest Superb which is quite literally, Superb and many magazines now regard this as the best vehicle in its class. Ramp this up even further with the introduction of the estate and people are saying "Audi A6 Avant - nah, Skoda Superb Estate and a family holiday and new kitchen with the change". People are even considering the estate over an equivalent Mercedes! Who'd have bet £20 on that happening five years ago?

VAG is running scared of the Skoda brand and is doing its damndest to try and slow the inexorable march of the high quality, reasonably priced little upstart from CZ!

There is a flipside to this - people will insist on expecting an options list the length of an Audi on a car costing much less than it's equvalent number. There is an argument that if you want the option choices, buy an Audi! If you want a nice meal on a plane, comfy seats and extended leg room you fly Emirates and pay for it. You don't expect it from FlyBe...........

Edited by wardth

Skoda being the budget brand must be a myth as you try and get the Bolero on the Golf as standard.

What level of Golf do you think it is standard?

S?

SE?

Bluemotion?

GTi?

GTD?

R?

None of the above, they want between £380 and £470 to upgrade.

I agree that the MF Steering wheel should at least be an option if not standard like the GTD, along with the MDI

There is a flipside to this - people will insist on expecting an options list the length of an Audi on a car costing much less than it's equvalent number. There is an argument that if you want the option choices, buy an Audi! If you want a nice meal on a plane, comfy seats and extended leg room you fly Emirates and pay for it. You don't expect it from FlyBe...........

Thats a good point you raise. I'm sure I am not alone in being attracted to the Skoda brand because it is not overloaded with the latest gadgets, which usually proves to be a liability in the long run. You either have to throw money at it to maintain, or like most cars out or warranty, you have bits that dont work...

I have had high spec BMWs etc in the past that had £1000 sat-nav (but no better than a £100 TomTom), Bluetooth (that had built in obsolescence regarding new handsets). All my BMW dealer visits were due to gadgets failing, nothing mechanical or important.

Give me a 'standard' Skoda anyday, I'll pass on the muppetry.

Probably because the UK is a bigger market, certainly more "key" and more sensitive than Norway.

I point everybody to the recent "It's a Golf but not a Golf" adverts that have been running on tv. VW is not happy about the growing popularity of the Skoda brand in the UK and is now doing something about it - withness the lack of BT on manual cars, removal of folding mirrors, soundproofing.........the list goes on and will keep growing.

Its getting even worse with the introduction of the latest Superb which is quite literally, Superb and many magazines now regard this as the best vehicle in its class. Ramp this up even further with the introduction of the estate and people are saying "Audi A6 Avant - nah, Skoda Superb Estate and a family holiday and new kitchen with the change". People are even considering the estate over an equivalent Mercedes! Who'd have bet £20 on that happening five years ago?

VAG is running scared of the Skoda brand and is doing its damndest to try and slow the inexorable march of the high quality, reasonably priced little upstart from CZ!

I agree with all you say, except I wouldn't say VW are 'running scared'. They know what they are doing and taking steps to ensure the market positioning of all their brands best suits them...

I agree with all you say, except I wouldn't say VW are 'running scared'. They know what they are doing and taking steps to ensure the market positioning of all their brands best suits them...

I meant it as a generic rather than specific. I too doubt that VW are truely scared but they have had a shock me thinks with the polularity of the vehicles and how well they are now viewed by the motoring press. VW do indeed know what they are doing but the knock on effect for us, Skoda end users, evangalisers and possible repeat customers is starting to show............