Remaps. I dont get it ?

OK I've read loads but still have some questions :

1) In this world you very seldom get something for nothing. Whats the catch ? If chipping / remaps are so good then why were the cars not made like it in the first place ?

2) Does it create undue wear and tear on components that would not have been designed with the power increse in mind ?

3) Does it have to be decleared to you insurance ? I've read about people making a change then nipping back the next day to make another etc. Are these people telling their insurance companies about each change ? If they have a crash or kill someone are they going to be insured ?

4) What kind of loading can you expect on your insurance ?

5) Is it best to have it done when your renewal is due ?

Hello there, you have some good questions there, i personally have my car remapped.

1) They don't come like it as standard due to the insurance issues, less appealing to the younger driver

2) Nothing should need uprating if the remap has been written well and the power doesn't all come in at once and reduce the life of the clutch and flywheel

3) Yes it needs to be declared to the insurance really, as they will find any excuse to get out of paying for something, they say that remaps are pretty much impossible to detect - but i personally would not risk it

4) It can be insurance dependant really, adrian flux and chris knott i have heard are pretty good when it comes to things like this

5) When you have it done you need to notify your insurance straight away>

OK I've read loads but still have some questions :

1) In this world you very seldom get something for nothing. Whats the catch ? If chipping / remaps are so good then why were the cars not made like it in the first place ?

manufacturers are trying to meet srict emissions regulations accross the range, VAG engines are also renowned for their strength and are often masively undertuned. they also have to account for people using sub standard fuel. if you use 98 ron or higher fuel a remap wil make besty use of it

2) Does it create undue wear and tear on components that would not have been designed with the power increse in mind ?

a good remap will be unlikely to provide any issues. however if your engine has an underlying issue the remap wil show it up quicker.

3) Does it have to be decleared to you insurance ? I've read about people making a change then nipping back the next day to make another etc. Are these people telling their insurance companies about each change ? If they have a crash or kill someone are they going to be insured ?

yes it should 100% be decalred to your insurance, i do mods in a bulk load and then inform the insurance of them in one go, that way you dont get charged for changes/additions to the policy

4) What kind of loading can you expect on your insurance ?

depends on the output, mine evenm wih a 80hp hike in power was only £120 per year more expensive, and thats with suspension mods as well

5) Is it best to have it done when your renewal is due ?

Depends on your insurance broker

Edited by vRSy

All has been said above. The only addition I would add is that along with emissions regulations they also want to try and produce the best MPG they can. This makes the car much more appealing to potential buyers.

Remaps can sometimes give you better MPG (usually long distance journey) but other times can reduce the MPG (round town driving). Just depends on the map.

Thanks guys. Good answers. Having owned some pretty nippy motors in the past it's nice to know their is an option to gain a bit in the future.

Whats the recomended time to apply a remap after the purchase of a brand new car and on a similar note when would a car be considered too old to safely remap ??

Only if the remap is directly related to the warranty claim..ie a new turbo

Are you sure? They would use the increase in power to get out of most claims.

Suspension bushes - too much power.

Gearbox - too much power.

Heater matrix - too much power.

I think if you get a remap you have to accept your warranty is void. Should you get a repair approved, treat it as a bonus.

Steve

All has been said above. The only addition I would add is that along with emissions regulations they also want to try and produce the best MPG they can. This makes the car much more appealing to potential buyers.

Remaps can sometimes give you better MPG (usually long distance journey) but other times can reduce the MPG (round town driving). Just depends on the map.

Are remaps likely to result in a failed MOT due to increased emissions? Also how can a remap result in more power and better MPG at the same time? Better use of higher octane fuel?