Chipping / Remapping 1.2 TSI

My_Yeti

Well I emailed Revo only to be told that itr was a new type of Siemens ECU that they can`t unlck yet and they havent decided if they will even be "catering for your car yet"

Which I would assume means they might not even be doing a TSi remap!

Have a word with Celtic and APR, or any other well known mappers out there. Maybe one of them can do it. It must be possible as I've seen figures on both those mappers' sites quoting figures for the 1.2 TSi. Certainly the Bosch EDC17 and Med17 processors are mentioned. Of course if they've updated the processors again, then its a matter of waiting till someone finds a solution for that. Aren't Bosch and Siemens basically the same company?

Wasnt there somebody moaning than the 1.2 engine makes rubbish power and that some japanese rice burner made 120bhp from a 1.3 turbo engine??.

Well HAHAHA :rofl:

Word is that a remap goes over 150bhp now........... not bad.

Question is.... can the tuners remap the ecu currently in the Yeti?

This is vehicle specific and the tuners would require certain ECU info from VCDS or similar to answer this question I believe.

I would think there is pretty limited demand for them to even bother finding out. If it was exactly the same kit in the Golf or Polo, it may be worth a tuners while to investigate and find a tuning solution. I need to get mine first and then contact tuning firms I think.

Well Nigel, you won't have too long to wait now.

Envy

Mike

Hopefully not Mike, I'll have to check with James sometime and get an update. I haven't spoken to him lately so its probably a good idea to get the current info.

Hi there, just to update the thread.

My 1.2 TSI S has now reached 4200 miles and it drives a lot better than it previously did, the turbo lag disappeared a lot, and when push the accelerator pedal more, the car immediately comes to life.

To be honest I am not entirely sure whether it would need a remap - I used to drive all sort of cars, all powerful but also pretty heavy and I have to say it feels nothing like a 1.2 and seems to have power whenever you need it, especially when turbo kicks in on a hill, it has got more than enough torque.

Well, I have got a question for all of the 1.2 TSI owners out there, does your engine make ticking sound - a little like the twin spark on the Alfas, but louder, you can't hear it inside the car, but with the bonnet up, it has constant ticking noise? Is that the inherent design of the engine? I have never used full throttle, the highest rev I have done is 4000rpm, oil has not been changed and its not due for a service for some time.

Thanks!

mine buzzes a bit (sounds like a mini-boxer engine) when you give it some welly but yes there is a slight ticking noise when you lift the bonnet, would assume its down to it being a cam chain rather than belt.

Since I have had an oil leak fixed I can hear a slight whirring from the engine around 2000rpm, I'm assuming it's the turbo, by the way Ross are you really getting 33.5 mpg out of your Fabia? I'm getting that and yours is a smaller car.

Doesn't surprise me really. Tamper proof bolts and screws have beenin use for some years on various parts, though without any screw head is a new one!

I am guessing that any mapper clever enough to do the programming, can sort the mechanical bits like bolts out as well, though it probably adds to the cost.

Somebody should have a look and see if our ecu kit has theses bolts.

Happy to have a look and photograph mine when it arrives, assuming I can identify where it is. Anyone got any clues on location in the yeti?

This is the way tuners have been dealing with the issue over here for sometime now. At the end of the day I still personally believe that dealers can work out if the car is remapped, anti tamper bolts or not. ;-)

Yes, I would tend to agree with that. I'm sure I've read that there are tell tale signs that can be read, as to the last rewrite data, and number of times it has been done.

I still fancy having mine done though if its possible. :)

I would be realy carefull in remaping 1.2 tsi.

Reason:

With remmaping you are extracting almost 200-200 NM which is equal or more than 1.4 tsi. VW engeeners have calculated that the block of the engine for 1.4 tsi has to be done in metal casting instead of aluminium to sustain the pressure and heat, which is different than aluminium casting in 1.2 tsi.

Edited by tsi

mine buzzes a bit (sounds like a mini-boxer engine) when you give it some welly but yes there is a slight ticking noise when you lift the bonnet, would assume its down to it being a cam chain rather than belt.

Excellent, thanks!! SO no worries there then!

I found this link http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/CarProducts.aspx

Now tuning boxes I've seen and experienced on a diesel, but this looks intriguing for a petrol. If it worked as it said, then it might be an answer for those who didn't want their ecus opened up or who didn't want a new map present when visiting a dealer.

Question is, is it any good?

So who's going to find out? :yes:

I found this link http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/CarProducts.aspx

Now tuning boxes I've seen and experienced on a diesel, but this looks intriguing for a petrol. If it worked as it said, then it might be an answer for those who didn't want their ecus opened up or who didn't want a new map present when visiting a dealer.

Question is, is it any good?

So who's going to find out? :yes:

It looks quite interesting, however I am a little sceptical to whether it is just "resistor in a box", and according to some youtube video which had a 1.2 TSI Yeti on rolling road, it is producing 125hp stock, so surely they could do better than 125hp with a chip!!

I really have no idea what is inside the box, but looking at some of their other products, there are some positive signs. I have looked at their videos and the harnesses seem to connect to logical places if you were going to intercept and enhance the data.

At the end of the day, I really don't know whether they are good or bad, I just found the site in my travels and thought I'd pass on what I'd found.

Some Yeti 1.2 engines might well produce 125bhp out of the box, but the only sure way to get a measure on improvement, is to get a dyno done before and after I guess.