Chipping / Remapping 1.2 TSI

My_Yeti

It looks quite interesting, however I am a little sceptical to whether it is just "resistor in a box", and according to some youtube video which had a 1.2 TSI Yeti on rolling road, it is producing 125hp stock, so surely they could do better than 125hp with a chip!!

Here in Singapore, we have a few polo 1.2 tsi using ventura tuning box, pls check this link http://www.venturatuning.nl/. So far, the review has been positive. Anyway, VW has blocked OBD reading from the 1.2 tsi, therefore, ECU remapping is going to be tough. I will be testing the ventura tuning box with my yeti once I have collected my ride. Please read this thread from our local forum http://www.vagsg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41913

I don't normally bother with remapping threads but I'm bored and have nothing better to do!

So please excuse my utter ignorance on this topic but...

Here you all are discussing whether you can remap your new 1.2's to 125 BHP. You risk voiding your warranty by removing tamper proof bolts, difficult insurance questions, reduced resale value, over-stressing and damaging components and spending £1,000 for the privelege.

WTF didn't you just spend an extra £780 and buy the 1.4TSi in the first place? :S

Though I guess then you would be in a thread discussing how to get a hundred and umpty three BHP from the 1.4 :rofl::rofl:

I will continue to ponder this when I next boot my 160BHP 1.8TSi Octavia leaving the underpowered square boxy school run shopping trolley as a dot in my rear view mirror :rofl::rofl:

That's a joke! No hate mail please - as square boxy school run shopping trolleys go the Yeti is.... well...... a square boxy school run shopping trolley ;););)

You may not have read the previous posts on this and there are always those who speak against it, so not going down that road. Warranty issues have also been mentioned before, so owners thinking on this can make up their own minds.

I don't think anyone on here is going after silly figures, just to liberate the redundant performance there already. That's certainly the approach I shall take with my 1.4 at some point.

We're just discussing the options available here really, not trying to relieve boredom. ;)

I can answer that one..........

DSG only comes on the 1.2.

Also in some countrys (mine) there is almost a £6000 difference between the 1.2 and 2.0tdi...........

There are tax benefits with the 1.2 engine (in my country its half the price of a 1.5)

VAG engines are famous for being detuned with many 1000s of people having succesfully remapping their stock car with great results.

So i think it makes PERFECT sense to me B)

Oh update for 1,.2tsi DSG buyers:

The 2011 Yeti has a slower 1st gear, i have tested a 2010 and now own a 2011 and can confirm that 1st gear has reduced power and a milder take off speed.

I want that power back :S

yes that really what I am getting, I have been putting Tesco petrol into my car and its really making it struggle. Feels like its lost about 20 horses!

Just put some V-Power into my Yeti tonight and drove for 60 miles back to Durham and it definitely felt more responsive and used less petrol (on the way down with similar traffic registered 37 mpg, whilst on the way back I managed 40.4 mpg, driving at very similar speed)

I checked out that dutch site 'ventura tuning' :no:

Piggyback's are always a bad idea, the box you plug in is never going to be as quick responding as your cars ECU..... and theres lots of other reasons not to plug in a box that i dont want to go into, google it ;)

Anyway they are claiming 130bhp with their 'chip' but we all know the car puts out over 120bhp as standard, so i think that the box doesnt really alter the map at all.

Its difficult to say really, as nobody on here has tried one yet. It does seem to have a harness that hooks up to several different points, so I would think the box must do something other than just be the old ebay "resistor in a box" type thing. I don't know enough about electronics to figure out response times as compared to a map unfortunately.

I have run two tuning boxes ( full elctronic type) on 2 different TDis and they were okay and definitely made an improvement. The second one was on a 140 pd and I did go for a remap on that after taking the box off and the map was definitely superior. I've never tried one on a turbo petrol engine though.

Those boxes usually just fool the ecu into giving more boost and fuel, the reason there is so many connectors is probably because there are so many parts of the ecu to manipulate!.

A proper map that alters not just fueling and boost but also timing is what you want.

Found a place locally that has a 140bhp MAP for our cars, failing that ABT is nearby and they backup my factory warranty.

Found someone that can remap it properly.

They say the ECU on our cars is a newer type shared with the 1.4tsi (122bhp) called the MED-17, its supposed to be tricky to map and takes 2-4 hours to complete.

Problem is they only quote 130bhp as the result when i know the car makes that stock.....

Also the other problem is that it costs $25,000nt (£625!) :o

So i think i am going to hold off for a while, unless its confirmed that it will give the car more power for sure.

A few mappers here quote the ability to map the MED-17. One of the guys on Seatcupra.net had his Leon 1.4 TSi on a dyno and got low 140 bhp in stock form, though I think he mentioned using super unleaded fuel.

I think I'll run mine for a little while in stock form first as well.

Edited by loadswine

• 2 weeks later...

Lets bump this back up, i feel as if theres potential in the 1.2tsi... there always is in a turbo charged car.

Our ECU isnt a MED its a SIEMENS unit and i have been told by everybody that its impossible to map.................

so can we get a list of companys advertising remaps (not piggyback boxes) and hammer them for info.

Spoken to Celtic today and apparently they are pulling their remap for "our" (Being a Fabia rather than Yeti owner) engine as they went to tune a Polo with that engine and it wouldn`t or couldn`t take their map.

ABT`s offical UK supplier haven`t bothered to come back to me when I enquired about it (will try their H/O in Germany) and MTM don`t list how much performance it would give on their site.

So, thats a no or no reply from - Superchips, Celtic, APR, Revo and ABT!!!

Tuning options getting smaller and smaller. Going to try a local tuners (who do Skylines!) when we take the Superb in to be mapped on Monday.

Still at least the Yeti has a K&N air filter available for it - my Fabia doesn`t even have that option!

I think they are being careful, as if they try and remap and the ecu doesn't like it or get the right coded response, the ecu is as good as dead, or something like that from what I've read on the mapping sites. I would think that a new ecu might be expensive.

Maybe a tuning box is the only way to approach the 1.2 then.

Still waiting on an answer to the 1.4 remap question from Revo. I don't know if that has a similar ecu to the 1.2.

Spoke to ABT minutes ago..........

No there is no remap just yet for the YETI, there are some for the POLO and GOLF.

Its not a reflash, it involves 'extra hardware'

The price is higher than a usual remap................. ouch, its expensive anyway!.

:(

I think they are being careful, as if they try and remap and the ecu doesn't like it or get the right coded response, the ecu is as good as dead, or something like that from what I've read on the mapping sites. I would think that a new ecu might be expensive.

Maybe a tuning box is the only way to approach the 1.2 then.

Still waiting on an answer to the 1.4 remap question from Revo. I don't know if that has a similar ecu to the 1.2.

A new VAG ECU, fitted is £837.

My brothers mate found out the hard way after he tried to get his Passat CR TDI remapped earlier this year by a local remap company who swore blind they could do it! Oh and he had to wait 2 weeks for VW to have the ECU delivered :S Thankfully the remap company covered the full cost of this.

Frankly I would stay well clear.

Edited by BigHusky

SO just to confirm.

This new siemens ECU is not ****ble to 'remap', anyone advertising is just falesly doing it.

ABT themselves who get help from VW said so, it cannot be done any more, traditional remaps are now something of the past.

So what to do????

Those piggyback boxes are a bunch of junk.........

Might have to go full aftermarket piggyback with a haltech or e-manage?

This sucks :(

Hi, Could anyone tell me why a tuning box is adverse to remapping?

I have had a tuning box (proper one, cost about £300) on a diesel Mercedes before and the difference is noticeable, it is quieter, turbo lag is reduced and is much quicker off the line.

Furthermore, I can remove the box when I don't need it and its customisable - so I could adjust how much power gain I want.

Tuning boxes can be fine if they are the proper digital type and not the rip off ebay resistor type tht just make the ecu think the engine is cold and dumps more fuel in.

The digital type acts as a piggy back and no reason why they shouldn't work okay, if they are picking up the correct sensor info and processing it well. A remap should feel better to drive with as its finer tuning, for want of a better word and is a complete map in itself, rather than an map altered by electronic interpolation. ( least I think that's an okay explanation) ;)

I've had a couple of tuning boxes and remaps too, my old Altea TDi, I tried both on, and the box worked well enough, but the remap was superior in terms of ultimate driveability and smoke.

It strikes me that if there are issues with remapping the 1.2 TSi, then a tuning box, albeit with a fairly sophisticated wiring harness, might be just the job for those wanting a little more. :thumbup:

I had a cheap ebay box first of all on my 530d. it was crap. don't buy one. Then I had a remap for economy. Didn't like that either, so the guy who did the remap put the remap he would normally install on. Boy did that make a difference. Awesome. Guy I sold it to was blown away by the performance compared to his son's 530d, which was slow in comparison. 184bhp up to 220bhp, 380nm to 450nm. so much more flexible and drivable.

On the Octavia 2.0PD I had a DPT box. I removed it when I sold the car, so I still have it around somewhere. I was never convinced by this whilst I had it on. I drove it for a few hundred miles after removing it. Not much difference lower down, but at motorway speeds the acceleration was nowhere near as good.

When talking to the installer on how to remove it, he did say (now he tells me) that in the PD it was OK, but the application in the CR engine is so much better.

They do one for the 1.8tsi engine - an extra 25bhp.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

The reason i am against the tuning boxes is because the companys behind them arent really putting any R&D in.

They are just programmed to raise boost, lean the A/F a little and sharpen the throttle response.

What do you expect from a tiny company based in a warehouse somewhere for £200?.

A proper remap delves into the engine itself and can adjust the TIMING along with the boost level and A/F ratio.

Those guys really put a 'tune' into a car and as such it costs money to do this, hence why it costs so much more.

I am waiting for a genuine tune to come out, wether it requires removing the ECU or waiting for some smarty pants to crack the code.

Ah, ok, thanks for the replies. So a remap is more specific o the vehicle and therefore could release the "potential" more accurately.

I am also wondering, if the car run out of battery, would the remap disappear form the ECU??

• 4 months later...

Can I please ask a stupid question? Is there anyone who has made remapping on 1.2TSI DSG? Can anyone tell me he is fantastically happy having extra HP&Nm? Please!

Here in Russia we have one interesting device called 'Jetter'. It sets on a gas pedal (nothing complicated, just plug&play) and removes that annoying lag on start. As a result, it improves the acceleration and it's sensibility. It has a on/off button. And costs $200.

I've tested that device on manual gearbox - the whels are slipping even on 2nd gear.

But I still want to remap my engine - before Yeti I drove 1.8TSI Superb - that was a rocket comapring to Yeti! :) I had to buy 1.2TSI Yeti because here in Russia there no 1.4TSI at all and no 1.8TSI with DSG...