VRs ?

Test drove a Megane Renault Sport 225 Lux (2007) last night... Bloodyhell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAPID lol

I was like a little boy on Christmas morning haha

they are phenominal as a drivers car. the renault sport division really do know their stuff when it comes to dynamics. I wouldnt be getting the 225 though. it would have to be the R26. thats the best of the bunch, slightly stiffer chassis setp than the 225, but also comes complete with a limited slip diff.

the R26R wouldnt be an option for me hough as it is to hardcore with the cage etc.

anyone see that episode of 5th gear though where it came to replacing he light bulbs on a golf and meganne. the golf took 5 minutes and cost a tenner, the meganne took a couple hours and cost over £200 just for light bulb change because all the fron tbumper nd everything had to come off to gain access.

How did you rate the interior on the 225 Lux. i thought it was really poor compared to the ST an Vag range

anyone see that episode of 5th gear though where it came to replacing he light bulbs on a golf and meganne. the golf took 5 minutes and cost a tenner, the meganne took a couple hours and cost over £200 just for light bulb change because all the fron tbumper nd everything had to come off to gain access.

The video

It is a crap design yes, but I did it myself in my work car park. They're making a right fuss about it for TV. Can't believe he's taken the wheel off - I just put it on a hard lock. Did hurt my arm reaching through the hole though.

anyone see that episode of 5th gear though where it came to replacing he light bulbs on a golf and meganne.  the golf took 5 minutes and cost a tenner, the meganne took a couple hours and cost over £200 just for  light bulb change because all the fron tbumper nd everything had to come off to gain access.

My ex has a Meganne, and whilst it is a pain to change the bulbs you don't need to take the bumper off. There is an access hatch in the wheel arch. It's awkward 'cos you're working blind and it helps if you have double jointed shoulders and elbows but it only took me about 30 minutes to change both bulbs... So whoever took a couple of hours was extracting the urine...

Just to add in my two penneth.

I am a fast Ford man through and through.

When I left uni and started my job last year, I had the same dilemma you do - I wanted a circa 200bhp hot hatch as I could now afford it, and I was old enough for the insurance not to be rediculous.

I looked at all the options - Clio 197, Focus ST225, Focus RS Mk1, Seat LCR (mk1 & 2), Mazda 3MPS, Golf GTI, Megane 225, Honda Civic Type-R etc.

The obvious choice was the Focus ST, but while it pains me to say it, I found them to be uneconomical and of the ones I drove didn't feel as well built as my previous Fords.

I at least looked at all the other options listed above, driving many of them. Most examples I looked at, even though being a few years old, were quite tatty.

One of the main things that swayed me to the Octavia is the number of well looked after, low mileage examples around. Presumably a bi-product of the unfashionable brand?

Anyway a good one came up, and it was too good to refuse. The build quality and condition was superior to any other used car I had looked at, and surprisingly it was also one of the cheapest. I think the handling needs fettling to bring it up to the standard of some of the others mentioned, but it still impresses me and anyone that comes for a ride. Another reason I love it so much is that I'm the sort of person that likes to be different, so the Skoda badge really appealed to me.

In performance and handling terms, I'd say it's mostly there (like 95% as good as the Focus etc). If and when I can afford it, it will be having some modifications to bring it closer to them (at the moment, my plan is: Exhaust, Shark remap, Eibach ARBs and lowering) - but in a way, I like it that way because a) it gives me something to do/work for, and b ) it means that I'm being 'led' into that kind of performance gently (having only driven much slower cars before).

Edited by naxtek