No panoramic sunroof

Macdemon

BAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just been told that we can't order our Yeti Elegance with the panoramic sunroof we want, new brochures are being printed and the sunroof has been discontinued for the foreseeable future.

I have contacted Skoda UK and the problem is with the sunroof supplier.............apparently he (the supplier) is having trouble sourcing enough glass to keep up with the orders.

When I was in a Portsmouth dealership they said they cannot accept any Yeti orders that include sunroofs, and existing customers who have ordered them are being contacted with a view to removing the sunroof from their Yeti order.

I find this situation totally unacceptable and will not be ordering ANY Yeti unless I receive a satisfactory answer on how they plan to address the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh: :(

Has anyone else had the same problem with their Yeti order???

Answers on the back of a £20.00 note please.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, its totally unacceptable ! I ordered my Yeti a few weeks ago and as yet have not been told its going to be cancelled, so I will be contacting my dealer asap to find out the position.

They might as well say you can have any colour as long as its black. This will not enhance Skodas reputation one little bit in my opinion if its true, and I am going to be one of many very very angry people if this is the case, and everyone who gets refused a sunroof should get together and demand what we have signed up and paid our deposits for, even if we have to wait a while for the car.

Anyone else ?

:devil:

We need a legal demon who knows the merits of the order process, as it clearly states that "they accept and confirm the order and undertake to supply the goods subject to the terms and conditions herein"

Any lawyers know the position here ?

My wife and I have not yet placed our order as the dealership were unable to accept our order with the sunroof.

I phoned Skoda UK this afternoon as well as sending a snotty letter via their website, but as yet not had anything back

I have the contact details for a very nice kind lady at Customer Services and she will find some up-to-date information.

Once this has been rec'd I will post it here.

redandwhitepauly, as you ordered yours a few weeks ago, I'm sure your order for the sunroof will be fulfilled. Your dealer should be able to update you fully on your order situation, I hope you get it.

Which model have you ordered??

Hi. I ordered my beast at the beginning of May and was told that there would be an enormous delay in getting the sunroof as they were having to stop taking sunroof orders until they could clear the backlog, then they would recommence the builds with sunroofs.

So, I was advised to still order the car WITH sunroof and by the time they got through some of the backlog, I would be near the front of the queue when they recommenced the sunroof build cars, but when the order was put through on the computer system it never came back as not available with sunroof, so I am hoping they will still honour the original order even if it does take until Oct/Nov.

The car I ordered was :

2.0 140bhp elegance in Candy White

Gobi Leather

Columbus Satnav

Silver Roof Rails

Park Assist

Tyre Pressure Monitor

Heated Windscreen

Spare Wheel

Mudflaps

Fabric Mats

Furry Yeti (of course)

Oh and a big sunroof thing !!

How about you ? I must admit that like you I do feel very strongly about this as a matter of principle. If every other car manufacturer can somehow offer their cars with sunroofs and fulfill the orders, then surely Skoda can as well ?

I have emailed Arvinmeritor who supply the roof to enquire if they are having a problem supplying Skoda because if that was the case surely it would also affect VW cars and Audi and whoever else they supply roofs to ?

At the end of the day Skoda need to remember it could be bad PR and be a big enough issue to force people to drop their order and buy something else. And if they would find that a relief on clearing the backlog quicker what would that say about them as a company.

Are you sure they said it was a permanent decision or just a suspension until the backlog had cleared ?

:|

Might sound odd but no idea yet lol.......the price wasnt availble when I ordered it, just that it was being offered after build week 22, so I could have it, but still dont know how much it will be although they usually about £2-350 ish

I have it on my new Fiesta and it is a godsend in winter which is why I was very surprised it was not a standard feature on the Yeti

The panoramic sunroof option is £890.

They have suspended ordering of the roof and have dropped the option in the new brochure reprint.

I hope to hear from Julia at Skoda very shortly.

If a senior manager at Skoda is reading this.........................YOU ARE CREATING UNHAPPY DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :(

I will also be contacting Watchdog next week to alert them of this serious problem, so I hope you all tune in.

Macdemon.

If anyone from SUK had been reading this forum we would have had the MDI option ages ago. They certainly don't care enough to follow things like this alas.

As to the roof: what happens if an existing owner's roof is damaged? If there are no more roofs will they just take that car of the road and give the owner a new sunroofless car?! I think not. I just hope that the sunroof maker has not gone bust. If they did it will be MONTHS if not a year or more before another supplier comes on board.

If the delay is going to be very long everyone that had already ordered a car should demand to get a Yeti as soon as possible to the same spec (minus roof) as a temporary car. Once the sunroofs are back online and our own cars are built we just swap cars. It is the only way to keep me happy I'm afraid.

You are right, its totally unacceptable ! I ordered my Yeti a few weeks ago and as yet have not been told its going to be cancelled, so I will be contacting my dealer asap to find out the position.

That's because it's not true.

My understanding is that we cannot order sunroofs anymore and it will be taken out of the brochure for a while. Any existing orders shouldn't be affected.

Edited by Allams Skoda

That is all fine and well and we all expect to get a car at some point in the future since we did pay our deposits... But what if that point is 6 months away? Or 9 months? That is unacceptable and I'm certainly going to contact SUK to enquire about a temporary Yeti from week 14 into my order. My dealer has been keeping me totally in the dark and have not said ANYTHING to me. My order form states "Delivery in 12 - 14 weeks" with the "order date as 6 April 2010". I thus fully expect a car somewhere in week one of July. My dealer has said nothing to the contrarary and if I had not been on this very website I would have been none the wiser either. So if there is another huge delay after week 14, I expect to have a Yeti, mine or a temporary SUK supplied one I don't care, but a car I will demand.

Thus far two dealers have never bothered calling me back to arrange a test drive and the third is now keeping me in the dark. Skoda is certainly not in the process of making a "Happy driver" of me thus far... [That we can't get MDI in the UK is just rubbing salt in the wounds of thus "unhappy driver", but that is a totally different matter].

I think you'll be extremely lucky you get your Yeti in early July.

I've been allowing plenty of extra weeks for the orders with sunroof. I certainly wouldn't quote 12-14 weeks.

I'd get in contact with your salesman and just ask him what week the car is due to be built and that way you can figure out when the car will be with you.

Did you buy off a dealer in London directly?

I realise that, but my point is I only realise this because I am on THIS website. And they quoted 12 to 14 weeks ON the order form with not a single caveat under that to the tune of "this will be confirmed within X weeks" or anything such like, nor have they once contacted me to state there might be problems on the horizon. As a legal document it really leaves them very vulnerable, but that is their problem. But to what is said on that document I shall keep them since they have not informed me otherwise.

I ordered directly from Marlborough Skoda yes and I have asked numerous times for a build week without any replies from them.

Edit: fat-finger spelling!

They probably shouldn't have told you the car would be available in 12-14 weeks.

Have they given you no indication to suggest that the order won't be available in the originally suggested order time?

Nope not a single word. Nothing. So as I said, their problem to deal with come week 14.

I sent them another email today. I won't go via SUK before contacting the dealer (yet again). I'll wait to see what they say. I'm an optimist in life. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Nope not a single word. Nothing. So as I said, their problem to deal with come week 14.

Check the small print on the contract very carefully for weasel words around the delivery dates and how they can't be guaranteed or promised.

If delivery timescales are important, then you should write "time is the essence of the contract" on the paperwork before both parties sign it, ideally with a desired delivery date. Then, if the supplier fails to deliver, he is definitely in breach of the contract, and you have more leverage.

However, I very much doubt that *any* car dealer would actually agree to sign such a contract, since they could end up being liable for something they have no control over.

Standard disclaimer applies - do not take legal advice from random people on internet forums :-)

Check the small print on the contract very carefully for weasel words around the delivery dates and how they can't be guaranteed or promised.

Standard disclaimer applies - do not take legal advice from random people on internet forums :-)

Oh I know, I know! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif I'm just upset about all of this. I'm not dragging them to court just yet as I know they'll weasel out of it somehow. The goodwill gesture I suspect will have to come from SUK at the end of the day and won't (ever) come from the dealer.

I'd be suprised / impressed if you get a nice new yeti to drive around in before you take delivery of your sunroof equipped model - but good luck with that !

Sunroof is a great piece of kit - use it every single day at the moment.

the problem is with the sunroof supplier.............apparently he (the supplier) is having trouble sourcing enough glass to keep up with the orders.

I'm not really suprised by this as pretty much every manufacturer offers panoramic sunroofs these days that must use at least twice, if not three and four times the amount of glass used in a conventional glass sunroof. The glass manufacturers are probably not geared up for this increase in demand plus they may have mothballed plant when car sales drove off a cliff at the start of the recession.

Strange also that Skoda's supplier approval mechanism didn't identify this as a risk to supply. Still, if Skoda were perfect, they'd take over the world :rofl:

Just been into my local VW dealer to explain the sunroof situation, I spoke to a senior sales executive and he said there is NO delay for panoramic sunroofs on the Tiguan.

The Tiguan has a very similar design of sunroof, and if they can obtain glass in sufficient quantities, why don't they pass some onto Skoda..................after all, its the same company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am emailing a sales director at this very minute and will keep you informed of the situation.

Giles, I'm please that you're enjoying your panoramic sunroof, but please don't rub salt into our wounds :p

The Tiguan has a very similar design of sunroof, and if they can obtain glass in sufficient quantities, why don't they pass some onto Skoda..................after all, its the same company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like a Mercedes S-class headlight won't fit on a Yeti, a Tiguan sunroof stands no chance of making it into the Yeti either. Nor is it a given fact that Arvinmeritor even makes the Tiguan sunroof...

The sunroof is a pre-manufactured module supplied by Arvinmeritor to Skoda. In that module is the retractable blind, the motors, the pop up wind deflector and many other bits. ANY of those bits can be causing the delay (as any of the manufacturers of those bits could have gone bust or had a fire or flood or whatever) and I don't think anyone has ever stated for a fact it is the glass that is at fault at the moment.

Edit: fat-finger again!

Edited by 900000

Things are moving, possibly! I have a build week for my Yeti, complete with sunroof.

The car was originally ordered on April 10th with a projected delivery for the end of June. Two weeks later the dealer telephoned to tell me of the sunroof problems. I was given the option of removing the sunroof from the order and getting the care more quickly, or leaving the order and sit out the wait, but with no estimate of a build week.

I decided to leave the sunroof on the order and re-evaluate if necessary over the summer. I then got a call last week (13th May) letting me know that the build week was 32 (2nd week in August) and that it should be ready to collect in September (new registration plates).

I must just say at this point that I was lucky enough to have had a dealer who just told me the position as it was, and I dont even think I got a rough build date because of the roof, as I just accepted it would be a hell of a long time and when it arrives it arrives, which is as long as it takes. I would rather wait as long as it takes to get the car I want, than a compromise car in a shorter time.

What I think would be a huge shame is if Skoda do in fact withdraw the sunroof as an option, for a number of reasons. Not only is in obviously a huge selling point for the car in the UK judging by the temp of the replies, but I could easily see a position at some point down the line maybe 8-12 months when the backlog has cleared and Skoda reprint the new brochures once again offering the sunroof because it was so popular. Then you would have some very irate customers who wanted a sunroof and had to compromise.

As far as the dealerships go, they should be as James was at Allams and just tell the customer like it is, say the cars will have an enormous delay if they want a car with a roof (assuming they can still have one) and not give guestimates, then the customer at least has a realistic choice to make, wait or compromise.

I just hope Skoda sort it out and everyone who wants a roof gets one as it would be a huge shame to blight an obviously great cars image. The point about existing cars with damaged roofs is also a good one, so you would think the roofs have still got to be made ??

:|