She's a Rattler!

octy888

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also remember that a lot of squeaks / groans can come from the rubber door and boot seals. This is sometimes due to the cleaning products that we use affecting the surface of the rubber. Wipe the rubber seals with Autoglym Rubber care or similar and you might find that a lot of noises disappear. It is not a build quality issue and affects cars of all makes. I have found it on a number of cars and is often a consequence of fastidious cleaning around the door shuts.

Think I have found a solution for the rattle / clunk / thunk from the back of our yeti when the rear nearside wheel goes over a bump or the like or the body flexes from that corner.

It only seems to do it if I have used the pull down handle to close the boot. If I use my hand and pull it down from the centre/left side it doesn't seem to do it. I'm wondering if its because the pull down handle is off centre its putting a twist on the boot as it closes and causing it to sit not quite right.....will mention to dealer when it goes in.

In the meantime JonA I understand you have a similar problem - could you try the above solution and let me know if it works for you.

Edited by octy888

Hi all

I'm a sensitive guy, where car noises are concerned - and have been known to tear cars apart looking for little rattles and squeeks. Usually they are broken CD cases in the glove-box or loose change etc. I have a nasty little styrene on glass sound from the dials in the Yeti, when you push the left hand chrome effect rim the sound goes. Should I get this sorted under warranty or am I being over sensitive? If I turn up the radio it's okay.

I also have a bit of a heavy knock sound from the boot going over very squared off speed bumps and very bad holes in the road. I noticed a new plastic rattle sound from the back the other day, I think I've tracked it down to the fake aluminium trim that 'protects' the boot loading edge. It's not stuck on at all, now IN the boot, and must have been rattling about against the rear door. Like most cars, a few part are held on by double sided tape and gravity. On this the tape is pretty un-sticky now, because it's below the boot rim serves no purpose other than looking a bit better than the black plastic of the bumper, though I'm not sure about that.

I mentioned on an earlier thread that I was happy with a few minor gripes, as long as it wasn't built like my old Citroen CX - held together with double sided tape etc, oh dear.

I now have a few things to get sorted, and will test the Skoda customer service department in the morning. I have the seat thread gone, causing a hole in the rear seat seam, the noise from dash, and a slight hesitation in selecting gear when changing and steering hard left at the same time - probably the Haldex drive trying to decide what it's doing, though I'm not going that fast, but who knows. Other than that it's a great car and fun to drive.

You may have something in the boot fit octy888 as I have found it doesn't always shut, even when it looks lie it has, if you see what I mean. Or maybe you should check that silver boot trim.

I have a can of silicone spray, which when rubbed onto the black rubber door seals, especially near the head lining cuts out those little creaks and groans. You may have noticed that the Yeti has loads of complicated but effective seals around all the doors, to stop wind noise. Silicone spray is good at stopping the creaks when the body flexes. So to speak.

There does seem to be a pattern emerging (from this and other threads) in that most of those reporting rattles are owners of the 1.8TSI model.

Could there be some failing in engine/exhaust mounts that is particular to this engine size or could it be that the engine is apparently quieter than other engine sizes/fuel types so that perhaps any rattles are more noticeable.

I do wonder about the former being the actual reason. I repeat that my 140 TDi is not only rattle free but is very smooth running.

It would be nice to think that these annoying problems could be down to something that I reckon could be easily remedied. But perhaps I am being a bit over optimistic.

Edited by Trevorminor

Hi all

I'm a sensitive guy, where car noises are concerned - and have been known to tear cars apart looking for little rattles and squeeks. Usually they are broken CD cases in the glove-box or loose change etc. I have a nasty little styrene on glass sound from the dials in the Yeti, when you push the left hand chrome effect rim the sound goes. Should I get this sorted under warranty or am I being over sensitive? If I turn up the radio it's okay.

I also have a bit of a heavy knock sound from the boot going over very squared off speed bumps and very bad holes in the road. I noticed a new plastic rattle sound from the back the other day, I think I've tracked it down to the fake aluminium trim that 'protects' the boot loading edge. It's not stuck on at all, now IN the boot, and must have been rattling about against the rear door. Like most cars, a few part are held on by double sided tape and gravity. On this the tape is pretty un-sticky now, because it's below the boot rim serves no purpose other than looking a bit better than the black plastic of the bumper, though I'm not sure about that.

I mentioned on an earlier thread that I was happy with a few minor gripes, as long as it wasn't built like my old Citroen CX - held together with double sided tape etc, oh dear.

I now have a few things to get sorted, and will test the Skoda customer service department in the morning. I have the seat thread gone, causing a hole in the rear seat seam, the noise from dash, and a slight hesitation in selecting gear when changing and steering hard left at the same time - probably the Haldex drive trying to decide what it's doing, though I'm not going that fast, but who knows. Other than that it's a great car and fun to drive.

You may have something in the boot fit octy888 as I have found it doesn't always shut, even when it looks lie it has, if you see what I mean. Or maybe you should check that silver boot trim.

I have a can of silicone spray, which when rubbed onto the black rubber door seals, especially near the head lining cuts out those little creaks and groans. You may have noticed that the Yeti has loads of complicated but effective seals around all the doors, to stop wind noise. Silicone spray is good at stopping the creaks when the body flexes. So to speak.

"nasty little styrene on glass sound"....you are excellent at putting into words the unwanted noises! Regarding the "heavy knock sound"....would you mind trying the solution I suggested (not using the pull down handle to close the tailgate) to see if that works and reporting back. :wonder:

There is another solution I found at the weekend......to carry 10 bags of compost in the back... :rofl: ...compressed the rear suspension so much don't think it moved over any bump! ;)

Edited by octy888

"nasty little styrene on glass sound"....you are excellent at putting into words the unwanted noises! Regarding the "heavy knock sound"....would you mind trying the solution I suggested (not using the pull down handle to close the tailgate) to see if that works and reporting back. :wonder:

There is another solution I found at the weekend......to carry 10 bags of compost in the back... :rofl: ...compressed the rear suspension so much don't think it moved over any bump! ;)

I might have to try the multi-compost solution soon, we need to do some heavy potting here in Yeti towers... that's potting! That's the thin boot tray flopping up and down isn't it? Not heavy enough. Now the plastic aluminium trim below hatch has fallen off one of the (few) noises has definitely gone, so that's good. It's not going back on.

The idea that we 1.8 owners have the worse deal is interesting. You could look at it like this - I didn't want the oil burners idle rattle, as that irritates (because I'm a sensitive guy). The 1.8's engine is very smooth at idle, almost silent with radio on and all the other background noises like kids, the city, me shouting at other road users etc.

It's one of the reasons why I went for the 1.8 - because I notice those things. Maybe diesel owners just don't it? I went out in a friends 6 year old Merc C320 recently and I couldn't believe the noise, okay at reasonable speed but very very rough and shaking like a crazy thing at idle! Does good mpg though, but is that an acceptable price to pay? Not here.

I doubt whether the guys (and girls possibly) who attach the 1.8 dash are different from the ones who do the diesels, all Yetis probably eventually form an orderly queue and do it all on one line, can anyone find out? How about a trip to the factory? In the past Czech factories used to cool the hard working blue collar workers with local Pilsner, by the 2ltr glass load. Has that got something to do with it? Anyway, the dash is probably pretty much pre-assembled and screwed on, then connected to the wiring loom. It is the only noise in the car now, that's not that bad.

Thinking of cars of mine that didn't rattle, the VW beetle was one - all metal inside, no plastic trim inc the dash and there were few bits that could rub together to cause a rattle or noise.

In the 70's, a car built on a Friday afternoon by British Leyland were the ones to avoid. Worse before a bank holiday. That's a lot of cars that suffered the kind of rattle that would get me mad!

Interesting. I had always used silicone spray to get rid of noises, however, I have recently read that over time silicon can cause premature ageing of the rubber and that it should not be used on door seals. I have read that a rubber conditioner / protector such as Autoglym vinyl and rubber protector is the best way of treating squeaky seals. I'll report back when I've tried it out in the next few days......

This is simply not on. The Yeti can be totally silent as far as knocks and rattles are concerned. And to think that manufacturers claim that there is no longer such a thing as a Friday afternoon car.

I'd tell the dealer that you want it sorted as many others will I am sure agree that there is no excuse for poor build quality on the Yeti.

Totally agree with this. My Mercedes A Class had a couple of rattles and the dealer worked tirelessly to remedy - including replacing the steering column under warranty - a £1k-plus job. Now perfect.

Totally agree with this. My Mercedes A Class had a couple of rattles and the dealer worked tirelessly to remedy - including replacing the steering column under warranty - a £1k-plus job. Now perfect.

Yes, if a manufacturer has to keep forking out for warranty related rattle fixes then they will do something about it at the factory. If people put up with them then nothing changes.

Its in Monday, dealer wants it for 2 days. Will let y'all know how things go.

You may find this strange but they will get 1 attempt and 1 only. I can't be arsed or have the patience or have the time to let the "dealer work tirelessly to remedy" them. :yawn:

As I've said my dealer is brilliant but its all too easy for them, or any dealer, to say " oh just pop it back sir, we will try something else"...... :punch:

Options if fix is not acceptable....

Burn it... :sun:

Sell it.... :$$$:

Put up with it.... :wall:

Get some ear defenders - set of five, one for me, rest for passengers. "just put these on please before we set off".... :giggle:

No to be honest when it goes in I'm going to level with the sales guy and punch him hard in the face...no..what am I thinking...I will ask to p/x it for a delivery mileage scout or superb 4x4 or something like that (need 4x4 whatever) in the hope they will not want an unhappy Skoda driver and will do all they can to make a happy one. If that is unsuccesful I'll be off to the Subaru dealer for sure.

In fact theres a question for James Rothwell - what would you do in that situation (not the punch in the face, ofcourse not..... :giggle: ), honestly now!

Edited by octy888

<snip>

Oh well, what I can say is our Yeti won't last long as it is and sadly Skoda will be a marque we will not choose again.

<snip>

Agree- once a car looses its image it is best to part company and cut your losses as soon as possible

We never had rattles of Skoda Octavia L & K Estate, Skoda vRS or Skoda Superb.

Felt that Yeti was not up to the standard of build of these previous cars. This seems consistent with the thread suggesting there was to be a group policy of downgrading Skoda product quality because of the effect of their pricing on the higher value vehicles in the same group such as VW.

So far we are satisfied that the quality and comfort (no rattle!) of our new Freelander 2 HSE Auto Diesel is worth the extra one third capital cost and one third extra fuel costs of the Yeti manual diesel.

It's sad loyal customers ourselves and possibly octy have been drawn away from the Skoda marque.

Life has been so hectic I have not yet had time to participate in the Freelander forums - perhaps it is best not to read and worry about the potential faults and just enjoy the benefits of right of way with a large bonnet with Land Rover written across it :)

Agree- once a car looses its image it is best to part company and cut your losses as soon as possible

Felt that Yeti was not up to the standard of build of these previous cars. This seems consistent with the thread suggesting there was to be a group policy of downgrading Skoda product quality because of the effect of their pricing on the higher value vehicles in the same group such as VW.

So far we are satisfied that the quality and comfort (no rattle!) of our new Freelander 2 HSE Auto Diesel is worth the extra one third capital cost and one third extra fuel costs of the Yeti manual diesel.

It's sad loyal customers ourselves and possibly octy have been drawn away from the Skoda marque.

Life has been so hectic I have not yet had time to participate in the Freelander forums - perhaps it is best not to read and worry about the potential faults and just enjoy the benefits of right of way with a large bonnet with Land Rover written across it :)

... and we too agree with Worldlife :)

Agreed too......the Freelander 2 we owned was a great vehicle with relatively few problems and no interior problems at all. :wonder:

I'm not going to jump the gun though, lets give Skoda their chance to rectify the problems. :wait:

Life has been so hectic I have not yet had time to participate in the Freelander forums - perhaps it is best not to read and worry about the potential faults and just enjoy the benefits of right of way with a large bonnet with Land Rover written across it emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Your former username wouldn't be Y4Yeti by any chance?

Whilst a few unfortunate owners have been beset by the much vaunted squeaks and rattles, I think it would be fair to say that there are as many, if not more who are enjoying their Yeti devoid of such unwanted noises - me included. As is always the case with automotive forums, it is the niggles and complaints that tend to get posted and discussed much more so than the positive attributes.

Granted, I have done not much more than around 300 miles so far in mine, plenty of time for things to change but, hand on heart, I have not yet noticed any noise that shouldn't be there. In fact, I am marvelling at just how smooth and quiet the engine is and what relatively little wind noise I'm hearing considering I have the roof bars and luggage basket attached.

It would be unfair and silly of me to expect the same standard of interior quality I experienced with the Audi TT (a car I paid £31K for) but the car I had before that was a VW Golf GTI Mk V and the Yeti's interior seems definitely on a par with that. As noted by Octy888 himself, exterior quality even seems to be on a par with the premium German brands.

I too considered a Land Rover Freelander, worthy of all the praise that is bestowed upon them. However, unlike yourself, I didn't feel that paying an extra £10K for a vehicle providing a very similar spec, higher tax, higher insurance, higher maintenance costs, lower mpg, lower overall performance and nowhere near the seating/storage flexibility was simply worth it. I'm not a "badge snob" either although I do have to have a giggle to myself when you notice other drivers and pedestrians take a good look at the beast who are obviously thinking to themselves, "What's that? Oh!... it's a Skoda."

I'm pretty sure too that for every "loyal customer" Skoda are currently losing, they are gaining hundreds, if not thousands of new customers. Else we wouldn't be seeing the 4 - 5 month waiting list that currently exists for the Yeti.

Edited by davecarter

Agreed Dave. I'm sure the abilities of the Yeti have won them many more customers than the odd shoddily built car has lost. I just got unlucky.

I do have another theory though which i will run past you......

All cars no matter what are built to a price. The Yeti's exterior quality seems to be outstanding, maybe this left a lower budget for interior quality?

Edited by octy888

All cars no matter what are built to a price. The Yeti's exterior quality seems to be outstanding, maybe this left a lower budget for interior quality?

I don't think so. I am pretty well convinced that the design and the components are specified to a price - plus all the standard VAG items included at some agreed on transfer price. The remaining quality is a question of how close the Kvasiny plant can get to the Toyota standard of assembly plant management. I'll propose you another theory: If every assembly step and function is done to the eact standard intended, there would be no squeeks or rattles. That degree of control over the assemblers is quite a trick to perform day in and day out.

In a Toyota plant (and probably others as well) the degree of detail instructions the assemblers must follow is incredible. It even goes as far as to how to hold the screwdriver and that left handed assemblers are used where it is easier to get the job done with the left hand. That degree of detail management is THE culture in Japan (I supply Japanese manufactured equipment here in Europe) - but not quite as natural to the Czechs. Add to that that the assembly line has to deal with three differnt vehicles - presumably on the same line - where two of them were new and more successful than anticipated, and you have the potential for errors.

Edited by Agerbundsen

I don't think so. I am pretty well convinced that the design and the components are specified to a price - plus all the standard VAG items included at some agreed on transfer price. The remaining quality is a question of how close the Kvasiny plant can get to the Toyota standard of assembly plant management. I'll propose you another theory: If every assembly step and function is done to the eact standard intended, there would be no squeeks or rattles. That degree of control over the assemblers is quite a trick to perform day in and day out.

In a Toyota plant (and probably others as well) the degree of detail instructions the assemblers must follow is incredible. It even goes as far as to how to hold the screwdriver and that left handed assemblers are used where it is easier to get the job done with the left hand. That degree of detail management is THE culture in Japan (I supply Japanese manufactured equipment here in Europe) - but not quite as natural to the Czechs. Add to that that the assembly line has to deal with three differnt vehicles - presumably on the same line - where two of them were new and more successful than anticipated, and you have the potential for errors.

I am inclined to agree with Agerbundsen here that the root cause of these problems are more to do with management of Quality Standards & Control rather than quality of the parts themselves. Don't forget, the likes of Toyota have highly automated assembly plants too that employ a far higher level of robotic and computerised machinery in contrast to the manually intensive Czech plants with more margin for error on an increased production rate.

Hopefully, with all the Yetis and Superbs Skoda are selling, some of the money will be reinvested into addressing weaknesses in Quality control that may be developing though increased production.

I'm afraid I disagree here.

Two cars or any product for that matter can be screwed together to all intents and purposes 'the same' at production time. However, parts and bits have tolerances. The cheaper that part the greater the tolerance. The greater the tolerance the higher the risk of a part not exactly matching the one next to it....hence poor finish.

Although ofcourse production standards also play a part.

My Yeti has now done 6000 miles, most of them rattling! My dealer has sorted out the dashboard (glove compartment area) and apparently has done something to the front offside pillar. Another rattle, from the dashboard just above the steering wheel, was corrected by lowering the steering wheel! Now I am trying to come to terms with intermittent door rattles.

The front nearside window makes a vibration noise. The front offside door 'clonks'. The dealer reckons this is because the rubber seals become dry and I need to apply silicone spray to them from time to time - whoever heard of having to 'moisturise' a car door!!! The Yeti has been back to the dealer twice within a week for this problem.

However, I do not think that they have treated the same noise that I am hearing, particularly in regard to the offside front door. How can I explain it? It's like a golf ball in a box, that keeps banging on the side of the box.

I changed to the Yeti after having a Nissan Note for three years - the ultimate rattle trap! I didn't expect this new vehicle to match it so soon! At least the previous car had to decency to wait for two years before it rattled!

Good news, the warm weather (I expect) has got rid of all my dash noises, so apart from me and the family it's all lovely and quiet.

Since my additions to this thread I've been listening really hard, it's a very smooth car and quiet too, maybe the trim falling off was a stroke of luck too.

Will keep an eye out for Autoglym product for the rubber shrub. Might add that to my growing Autoglym collection.

Will keep an eye out for Autoglym product for the rubber shrub. Might add that to my growing Autoglym collection.

Picked up a bottle from Halfords yesterday. When it stops raining I'll give him a good going over with it and post the results.....

I am convinced from similar experiences during my time at Volkswagen that any interior rattle / squeak issues are assembly and not material quality related. I think that it is going a little far to suggest that Volkswagen group will deliberately lower the build standard of Skodas to create distance between the brands. They will perhaps make the cars more basic or have a cheaper feeling trim than the VWs but they are not about to get the British Leyland boys in to build them.

Anyway I guess that we all speak as we find and, this being my first Skoda, I have found it to be one of the most solid, nicely finished cars that I have had the pleasure of driving. I'll soon add to the chorus of disapproval if it plays up though......

I'm just wondering whether any of my coherts on Saturday would like to comment about any rattles they noted on the 20+ miles of off-roading, as that surely was a good test.

(ignoring the rattle from the bottle of Lady P's Pimms!)