Not sure what do with VRs, need a car a 17 year old can drive.

Don't forget the little Austin, Ok around 3K outlay to buy one but that would be saved in 3 years insurance then you can sell the car for 3k. Did I mention that the £45 fc insurance included breakdown cover and get you home service from anywhere in uk. A 17 year old maybe £100 ins but think of all the practical skills He'd learn servicing etc. On the University front I wished when I was 17 I took A year out and learned to fend for myself before going would have taught me so many valuble skills, most imporantly the value of money.

classic insurance if you can find a classic insurer for a 17/18 year old is great, a good friend of mine had a 50 year old 4.0 american army jeep when he was 18 and he insured it for something like £200, yet he was paying £2000 to insure a 1.1 metro, as it wasnt practical to drive the army jeep all the time!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't get insurance with you as policy holder and him a named driver? Thats quite unusual. Sure the quote would normally be pretty high but you should be able to at least get a quote. Put the mileage as low as possible, say 5K and only for social use...

Otherwise, sell it and get a Fabia classic htp! hahaha.

:giggle: i mite look at the classic car route see if i can save some pennies at uni, any good sportyish ones you would recomend for a 6ft6 bloke whos 19? haha :giggle:B)

open top cars ;) maybe an mgb roadster or I think there's an mga with a V8 engine, jag xjs 5.3 v12 around 300bhp although not sure how that will go down with the insurers and make sure the rear suspension is welded up properly.

There are some insurance companies who wont insure, or price out of the market a new / young driver on a Furby vRS, these companies dont like the risk, however as you have seen there are companies that will do it.

Looks like you are going to have to shop around, or alternative is as suggested, a cheap small car so that the NCB can be acquired. ( it would be a bit silly to buy a £500 car & find the insurance is over £1000, with a £500 excess, though I bet there is someone who has done this )

P.S. If you do decide to sell the Race Blue - Here is an ex black magic Furby vRS owner looking to come back :D )

Edited by lfc958

Admiral have sorted my insurance for me this year.

Due to me having a low NCB because I used to be a named driver, providing I can provide proof I have been a named driver (give them the policy number) they are adding this on as no claims bonus. They are contacting me next week with the results, even if they don't give me the extra two years NCB they are still the cheapest I found.

For some reason though their own website quoted me more than confused.com even though I used the exact same details?

Admiral have sorted my insurance for me this year.

Due to me having a low NCB because I used to be a named driver, providing I can provide proof I have been a named driver (give them the policy number) they are adding this on as no claims bonus. They are contacting me next week with the results, even if they don't give me the extra two years NCB they are still the cheapest I found.

For some reason though their own website quoted me more than confused.com even though I used the exact same details?

I got this too, also elephant was the same price on confused or compare the meerkat and they phoned me up and gave an even cheaper price (an admiral policy). When I accepted, then told them that my previous policy was with them, they were a little up set because my renewal price was about £100 more heehee

i find it strange that in this recession and the price of insurance that the roads are gridlocked at peak times...

where i live its impos trying to travel morning or tea times.....

Traffic is a nightmare down there, I think everyone just assumes they need a car so make cuts else where. There is a lot of things to do and places to be around there that are all too far to walk and a hassle by bus.

Hmmm, I'm an ADI and used my vRS for lessons! and my GPS is currently insured for learners, but then I do have dual controls, so the insurance is different (£320 fully comp for any driver with me supervising, and any driver over 25 on their own) as they are really still just insuring me, as I would intervene if the learner does something "stupid".....

my advice (as some others have said) would be keep the SE (I hate the hyundia's, have driven the getz,and it was the worst drive i have ever had! and the i20, (nt the i10 the getz replacement, that has to be better than the getz!) although good value the i20 was the worst suspension on a new car i've ever experianced, (crashed bounced rolled badly in corners, didn't absorb any bumps ect ) and the interior was really bad plastics) and buy a cheap car.

SWMBO has recently passed her test, and gt a new car, we paid £360 for a 97 honda civic 1.6LS (your son would like it, VTEC and 0-60 in 9 seconds, plus electric everything sunroof, heated mirrors rear windows ect) and she pays £500 for 3rd party fire and theft insurance,(that includes pass plus discount) don't know how much it would be for a 17year old though.... we did look at a cinquecento (1.0 litre, as cheap ins as there is!) that was going for £500.......

banger economics can be good. if the honda fails its mot by more than £100 worth of repairs, we will just sell it on with 1 months MOT and buy another banger! we've spent no money on it so far.

Just traded in an old van for my lads first car; an early Fabia 1.2 6v. Not tried insuring it for him yet but for me and the wife full comp it was cheaper than a years pet insurance for the cat emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Cheaper to just get a new cat!

The fully comp with very high excess is a good tip. Worked out cheaper for my brother (17/18).

I am with Brentacre and have been for the last four years or so. I can get insurance cheaper but I am happy to pay the little bit extra for the service I get. Pick up phone and instantly speak to someone in this country - well Wales, but it's only and extra county of England really :giggle: . They might be worth a call.

Edited by KLM