Hifi of Yesteryear vs Today's effort!

swordstoke

Name not familiar to me, Ive been out of the scene for 15 years so its taking a while to get my head around it all ;0)

Sh$te! Shouldnt have mentioned piggin Avondale as Im drooling over there website now :rofl: :S

When my dad passed away i was able to inherit all of the Hifi in the house. So im the owner of a fair bit of Bower & Wilkins Kit

Quite proud as in the living room I've got 2x B&W DM3000 (from 1987 still working beautifully) 2x B&W ASW600 subwoofers, 2x B&W DM601S3(as rear speakers) all powered by two Quad 405-2 Power amps & a Quad 44 pre amp. Wired up in 4 channel stereo.

In my bedroom (bearing in mind its about the size of a prison cell 6ftx8ft) I have a Onkyo TX-SR308 driving 2x B&W DM601S3, a Celestion Centre Speaker (i cant remember its model) and 2x B&W SOLID (I think thats what they are called)

sadly as my mum wants to down size the Hifi so we sold the CD player (Yamaha CDR-HDD1500) and a few other bits :(

Name not familiar to me, Ive been out of the scene for 15 years so its taking a while to get my head around it all ;0)

Sh$te! Shouldnt have mentioned piggin Avondale as Im drooling over there website now :rofl: :S

Sorry about that!

I barely touched my system in 20 years (save for cd players & the odd speaker change), a house move triggered my changes as I wasn't happy with the sound. Got my dream speakers (Naim SBL'S) and they sounded horrendous. So, that started me on the upgrade/changes path.

I then decided to go on the hunt for a digital computer source which matched or bettered my cd player and record player. Having gone through a host of options, I eventually settled on an asynchronous FireWire dac in the form of the Weiss, driven by a Mac Mini running Pure Music via ITunes. It's an amazing combination and one that matches vinyl in many respects - never thought digital would do that.

So, I have lazy music and somewhat less lazy music - bearing in mind my record arm has no cueing device!

When my dad passed away i was able to inherit all of the Hifi in the house. So im the owner of a fair bit of Bower & Wilkins Kit

Quite proud as in the living room I've got 2x B&W DM3000 (from 1987 still working beautifully) 2x B&W ASW600 subwoofers, 2x B&W DM601S3(as rear speakers) all powered by two Quad 405-2 Power amps & a Quad 44 pre amp. Wired up in 4 channel stereo.

In my bedroom (bearing in mind its about the size of a prison cell 6ftx8ft) I have a Onkyo TX-SR308 driving 2x B&W DM601S3, a Celestion Centre Speaker (i cant remember its model) and 2x B&W SOLID (I think thats what they are called)

sadly as my mum wants to down size the Hifi so we sold the CD player (Yamaha CDR-HDD1500) and a few other bits :(

That's some system to inherit! Those DM3000 are monsters! Must have good neighbours :D

Sorry about that!

I barely touched my system in 20 years (save for cd players & the odd speaker change), a house move triggered my changes as I wasn't happy with the sound. Got my dream speakers (Naim SBL'S) and they sounded horrendous. So, that started me on the upgrade/changes path.

I then decided to go on the hunt for a digital computer source which matched or bettered my cd player and record player. Having gone through a host of options, I eventually settled on an asynchronous FireWire dac in the form of the Weiss, driven by a Mac Mini running Pure Music via ITunes. It's an amazing combination and one that matches vinyl in many respects - never thought digital would do that.

So, I have lazy music and somewhat less lazy music - bearing in mind my record arm has no cueing device!

Had a brief spell with SBL's but methinks they needed to be active to get the best out of them so returned to Kans.

You'd think being in the IT business Id be swayed into going the way of all digital music but in all honesty it leaves me cold.

A friend has a similar system to yourself but he uses an Ayre DAC forget which model and swears by it.

Need a bit of analogue in your life ;0)

Ayre is supposed to be a fine dac - also asynchronous.

I used to think analogue was unbeatable, a computer based music source is surprisingly good though. I had vinyl only for years when everyone else was getting excited about cd, digital reproduction has got a lot better in recent years and I don't personally think you can beat a properly set up computer based system for digital replay. A friend sold his LP12/Lingo 2/Ekos/posh cartridge and his Naim CDS3 when he bought his Weiss dac - enough said!

That's some system to inherit! Those DM3000 are monsters! Must have good neighbours :D

Sadly not! but when they decide to get wasted and play Johnny Cash every sunday through summer, I just put on Dark Side of the Moon & turn it up :D they soon turn theirs down

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm on holiday at the moment so have only had a couple of days use so will update once I am back but to be fair its awesome!

How you getting on with the Brio-R James? Have you use the Phono stage? Going to cost £250 plus to update the Nait and Im not enjoying the Exposure pre/power so think some new electronics are in order. ;0)

How you getting on with the Brio-R James? Have you use the Phono stage? Going to cost £250 plus to update the Nait and Im not enjoying the Exposure pre/power so think some new electronics are in order. ;0)

It's great but yet to open it up as my house move has been delayed :( so still living in a semi!

Haven't used phono stage as I only have the sonos connect plugged in. Apple lossless sounds amazing through it as I downloaded the skyfall track to test it.

Can't wait to get them set up right.

Anyone else using an A&R Cambridge A60 ? I work from home, and have an A60 on my desk, with a couple of American-made Allison A100 bookshelf speakers. Main sound source is my PC, using Cd's ripped at 320, some as MP3, some as FLAC,

The other amps in use right now in the house are two Loewe Legro tuner-amps (re-packaged Linn Majiks), and one Legro CD player (essentially a Linn Mimik)

One amp and the CD player play through a large pair of Loewe Floor-standers; the other, in the TV room, plays through a smaller pair of Loewe floor-standers. It's not surround-sound, but it's great for watching concerts - my usual TV past-time.

My Brother still uses his but for monitoring as he is into playing the guitar/keyboards etc Still going strong though! :thumbup:

Big fan of Loewe ! Quality kit. Had a Mimo for 10 years and just recently given it to my parents.

Good stuff!

My Brother still uses his but for monitoring as he is into playing the guitar/keyboards etc Still going strong though! :thumbup:

Big fan of Loewe ! Quality kit. Had a Mimo for 10 years and just recently given it to my parents.

Good stuff!

Interesting comment on the monitoring. I tried to replace the A60 with a Sony Class-D amp 11 or 12 years ago, but soon switched back. The Sony had a lot more power, but was very clinical; the A60 was just more 'musical'.

The Sony (TA -F246E) is now being used for monitoring in a home studio set-up, where it's transparency is just what is called for. Using it with a pair of Studiospares SN10's (The poor man's NS-10's).

Sounds like there are a lots of people with good kit from several era posting here.

I posted my main kit on a separate thread in another forum - I think one or two from here have done likewise.

Rather than repost my stuff which isn't that exotic, I thought I'd mention a use for older kit.

I acquired an old cyrus 2, one of the plastic cased models, not the lovely cast aluminium of my old cyrus 1. I had a pair of mission/cyrus small bookshelf speakers which hadn't been used in donkeys years and just hooked them up to do duty as my computer system. I was told that many of the better small British speakers, like mine, the Kans, Jordan round ones, were clones/developments of the BBC ls3 5a monitors. If true then they are back to their original task, as they are only a couple of feet away from my ears. They could no doubt benefit from a tune up, I'm still using an interconnect I found in the computer draw - moulded plugs and all.

Not having a telly, I use a sff computer and monitor to watch Iplayer,occasionally. Sounds at the moment are through a pair of Audioengine A2 powered mini speakers. I in the process of trying to sort an off board DAC, looking at the Nuforce, Fiio E17 and could maybe stretch to an Arcam at about £150. Looking at anonymous boxes on amazon is not really very useful, and most reviews are about the performance through headphones, so not too sure. Anyone with ideas, suggestions?

Sounds like there are a lots of people with good kit from several era posting here.

I posted my main kit on a separate thread in another forum - I think one or two from here have done likewise.

Rather than repost my stuff which isn't that exotic, I thought I'd mention a use for older kit.

I acquired an old cyrus 2, one of the plastic cased models, not the lovely cast aluminium of my old cyrus 1. I had a pair of mission/cyrus small bookshelf speakers which hadn't been used in donkeys years and just hooked them up to do duty as my computer system. I was told that many of the better small British speakers, like mine, the Kans, Jordan round ones, were clones/developments of the BBC ls3 5a monitors. If true then they are back to their original task, as they are only a couple of feet away from my ears. They could no doubt benefit from a tune up, I'm still using an interconnect I found in the computer draw - moulded plugs and all.

Not having a telly, I use a sff computer and monitor to watch Iplayer,occasionally. Sounds at the moment are through a pair of Audioengine A2 powered mini speakers. I in the process of trying to sort an off board DAC, looking at the Nuforce, Fiio E17 and could maybe stretch to an Arcam at about £150. Looking at anonymous boxes on amazon is not really very useful, and most reviews are about the performance through headphones, so not too sure. Anyone with ideas, suggestions?

My only experience of a separate DAC is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 1 - 15 years old, and producing excellent sound coupled with a Philips CD630 - regarded now as one of the highest quality mid price CD players ever sold. The CD630 transport, when linked with a quality DAC, still punches way above its weight.

Why not watch the price DacMagic Ones are selling for on eBay - a couple on just now..

Thanks ksr, will have a peek - looking for something tiny.

To compensate for my OT drift last time, seeing swordstoke's isobariks reminded me of the cure for hifi-itis. I went ot Grahams Electrical on Pentonville Road. I was after some accessory or other. I guess they were quiet because one of the assistants asked if I would like to hear what they had on demo. So upstairs and into the back, the full Lin Naim monty. Sondek with Grace/Supex naim-pre and naim250 power amps in triamp configuration driving Isobariks - I was staggered. Taken aback. Knocked for six. The closest I have ever been to performance short of the real thing.

After that I realised there was no way I could ever afford anything even approaching that impact, clarity, slam. I went home aware how lacking my system was, any more investment was only tinkering at the edges. Eventually I got the system I now have at less than 1/4 the cost and learned to be content with that.

I did hear a demo organised by Quad at one of the Harrogate Shows. They had stacked electrotatics and were pusng the line that all amps sound the same (shows how long ago) by swapping a quad11, a 33 and the then new 405. The midrange and treble were stunning, the programme was female voice a capelle, and a solo violin and some chamber music. Absolutely stunning. Totally different presentation to the Linn/Naim set-up, so you'd need both. Hell, its only money.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the Sony 1030 AV amp from Richer . At £299 its a bit of a bargain and is just bedding in!

These wee beasties have come a long way in the last few years.

Punches it out for an integrated! :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

Also check out DAC's from a little company called Beresford, google it, and you will see why! :)

• 1 month later...

Cracking day had at Bristol Hifi show!

Plenty to listen to although it has to be said why oh why do they insist on playing unkown lack lustre music when in reality most people listen to something a little more accessible! I did ask the Heed rep if they could play anything with hint of rock in it to which he replied it would scare the clients off! There were four of us in the room and indeed we all walked out after he put some bizarre music program on!

Wilson Benesch provided an impressive sound albiet at 50k plus. 4K TV from Sony was jaw dropping. Some of the little DAC's didnt half bring some analogue quality to the Ipod.Kef's LS50 was the popular choice for many of the dem rooms and for me best used with Leema electronics behind them.

The Kef demo was quite good using there 'R' series speakers again backed by Leema and a Samsung TV for the visuals. They put the Red Bull snow boarding film on with music to suit. There was an american company(forget the name) who insisted on turning everything to 11 and attempting to make an impact on the few unfortunates who ventured into there room...oh dear what an awful noise.

Overall another good show and will be returning next year.

WBHIFI_zpsd40e7a36.jpg

HIFI_zps934bbcdc.jpg20130223_134005_zpsfbb49f5d.jpgIMG_1186_zpsb9659969.jpg20130223_121745_zpsd9d6049d.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bought some NuForce full size headphones from the Bristol show and now they are worn in Im impressed with there overall sound quality comfort and build. Should have been £200 but got them for half that at the show. They dont go over bright when cranked up which is a bonus! ;)

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd add that I decided to "down size" my hifi.......................... :giggle:

Got my self a full Denon F109 micro system (DAB+ tuner/amp, CD/usb, network player/usb/internet). and a set of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers.

All wired with Atlas cables (terminated the bi-wire speaker cables my self)...Merlin mains cable............MK filter/spike/RFI block...........various other tweeks as well......... :nerd:  

Still running in........BUT.................... :o  :o ..............I can DEFO agree with the reviews............tried all sorts of music and they are staggering for the size!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I seem to recall Rega doing a 78 version of the RP2, armed with a suitable needle as well.

Clean forgot about the Rega RP78! Probably the best sounding 78 player out there. Had a 2&3 and still think they are the most consistent sounding bargain of a deck ever produced.