engine management light

I have an octavia elegance 2001. I have an engine management light comes on every 2- 4 weeks. I've already paid £400 approx to put it right. I'm at my wits end! Had the lambda sensor replaced, turbo pipes and a replacement oil dipstick tube. Any ideas or anyone experienced this? The skoda garage are at a loss... help

Guest westallc

you need to put vagcom on it to give you a code to see what it is

the engine light wont be on due to the dipstick!! why you change the other bits????

Each time I have taken the car in they have put it up to their diagnostics machine which has given them a print out, from memory they have lamda sensor, fuel to rich, Cylinder misfire 1, 2 and 4 amongst others. I'll have to pull out the reports at home which I'll be able to give you a better picture. My fuel usage goes through the roof when this happens too. :-((

They said the dipstick holder was cracked which was sucking in air, which made the light come on, when i went to pick up the car when they fixed it, they didn't know they had to take the manifold off the engine to replace it, I don't hold much hope with these people if I'm honest :(

ok so you replaced the lambda sensor as it was duff, if its too rich then what about AFM codes possibly did you have any of them.

missreading air, runs to rich, misfires and will get crap fuel economy.

Edited by boomsly

Guest westallc

They said the dipstick holder was cracked which was sucking in air, which made the light come on, when i went to pick up the car when they fixed it, they didn't know they had to take the manifold off the engine to replace it, I don't hold much hope with these people if I'm honest :(

you dont have to take the mannifold off to replace it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

you need to find yourself another garage if im honest buddy as they dont seem to have a clue

Guest westallc

get all the paperwork and pos up any codes etc etc they have given you

with you saying about mpg not good when this happens that could be a number of things like coolant temp sensor.

then the misfires could be a knock sensor fault or coilpacks starting to fail wrongly gapped spark plugs etc etc

as you can see the list goes on

so you really need to put codes up there isnt much this forum wont know or of had the same faults to fix for you buddy

I had '02 vRS from new.

It was serviced at same Skoda dealer throughout the time I had it.

About 3.5 years in, I had a number of problems with engine management light coming on (and going into limp mode) and a lot of parts were replaced including air mass flow meter, lambda sensor etc. (TBH I've forgotten all of them).

Every time, they'd run the diagnostics and got different (and numerous) faults.

Dealer "came to arrangement" with me on costs (basically shared), as their various attempts did not fix the issues.

Finally they ran out of ideas and the last time it went in for attention to the problem, they "cleaned all the connections they could find" and put it back together.

The fault never came back (although I watched nervously for it thereafter....)

I finally changed the car earlier this year; so the "clean everything" fix lasted for another 3 years or so...

Only my experience, but may be useful, I thought.

I had '02 vRS from new.

It was serviced at same Skoda dealer throughout the time I had it.

About 3.5 years in, I had a number of problems with engine management light coming on (and going into limp mode) and a lot of parts were replaced including air mass flow meter, lambda sensor etc. (TBH I've forgotten all of them).

Every time, they'd run the diagnostics and got different (and numerous) faults.

Dealer "came to arrangement" with me on costs (basically shared), as their various attempts did not fix the issues.

Finally they ran out of ideas and the last time it went in for attention to the problem, they "cleaned all the connections they could find" and put it back together.

The fault never came back (although I watched nervously for it thereafter....)

I finally changed the car earlier this year; so the "clean everything" fix lasted for another 3 years or so...

Only my experience, but may be useful, I thought.

Interesting as I found my car a little hesitant a few years back. I cleaned throttle asm and unplugged all the sensors i could see including coilpacks then degreased and reapplied silicon electrical compound to all sensors. Then I reset ECU with VAGCOM. This made a hell of a difference to my car.

Dolaper , Typically bad fuel consumption is down to MAF / airflow fuel related parts right . perhaps a simple test is unplug MAF sensor and see if car runs. If car runs worse MAF is probably ok. If car actually runs better then MAF is defective. At least you can start to rule things out. But as stated already a report or readout of error codes is the way to go.