Turbo/Turbo pipe blown

Driving home from work today and then a bang and a load of black smoke with a total loss of power. Pulled over smoke stops but no power (drives but no go) and a funny noise from the engine. Search on here and hope it's just the turbo pipe blown off. Parked outside my fathers garage ready to be looked at tomorrow. Not had much luck with it this year, DMF ruined, bushes and now this :swear:

Edited by gadlys

Oh dear, not much luck eh. If it sounded like the exhaust fell off then it will be a boost or i/c pipe fallen of. At least it's an easy fix. Good old dad eh.

I had a similar problem last week. Bang, total loss of power and a loud whirring, unfortunately mine was the turbo!!!! :S Give me an excuse to put a PD150 garrett in it though.

Expensive mate :'( , gonna be best part of a £1k then. Hybrid it and you'll be up to nearly 200bhp then :) .

I had a similar problem last week. Bang, total loss of power and a loud whirring, unfortunately mine was the turbo!!!! :S Give me an excuse to put a PD150 garrett in it though.

does the bigger turbo mean more power?

did you need to also to change the intercooler and turbo pipes?

does the bigger turbo mean more power?

did you need to also to change the intercooler and turbo pipes?

I just went for a standard pd150 turbo. It will mean a little bit more power but i just got it cos it wasn't much more expensive than a PD130 turbo. Turbo pipes etc will fit straight on but a part needs to be rotated so it will fit the fabia. Easy fit though. Shouldn't need a fmic but i will wait and see. I'm planning on a forge fmic anyway, but i'll wait till i build up funds cos the turbo went unexpectedly.

• 1 month later...

my octavia 1.9 tdi has done same with pipe, have ordered on through vag approx £50 .My engine management light came on will this mean i have done any further damage to car with driving it to dealer