Indicators Problem...

Ok... I've done a search and most people with indicator issues have exact opposite symptoms to what I'm seeing!!! Here goes...

Last night, the indicators on the fabia suddenly stopped clicking. All of the bulbs are fine, left and right side work ok independandly and together when using the hazard switch. Just no clicking at all!

My first thought was a fried relay, but all knowledge on here suggests that fried relays mean either no indicators, or indicator stuck permanently on??

Wierdly, the clicking returned this morning as I indicated to turn out of my street, but stopped again within seconds.

Any ideas before I ring the dealer? Thanks in advance!

Edited by richgoga

Thanks for the quick reply... Take it this is expensive then?

Part is about £190 + fitting. Needs to be done by delear unless you have the SCK code for the car and VAGCOM. Dash panel is part of the immobiliser and needs to be coded, also the mileage from old panel needs to be swapped onto new panel.

Part is about £190 + fitting. Needs to be done by delear unless you have the SCK code for the car and VAGCOM. Dash panel is part of the immobiliser and needs to be coded, also the mileage from old panel needs to be swapped onto new panel.

Ouch!

Any issues with not getting it fixed?

Thanks for the info.

I think it's the hazard switch. It may be too much dust. When my indicators went crazy to my Octavia the dealer putted out the hazard switch and cleaned it, also he pulled a little the pins positioned at the left and the right edge at the back side of the switch. Since then no problem except the loud clicking.

Don't be afraid there is no way to harm your dash panel. It is very soft.

Ouch!

Any issues with not getting it fixed/

The clicking, as with the self cancelling stalk, is just an "Idiot" control! There to remind you to turn off signal (or turn it off for you) If you are too daft to notice you have left it on! It may annoy you by not working, you may prefere it that way!

As long as the signal reminder lamps are on, in the dash, I wouldn't give a hoot! (No, my horn hasn't broken)! :rofl:

That was what I was getting at... £190+ is a lot to pay for clicks...

But since Moggytech pointed out that the immobiliser is linked to the dash panel, I didn't like the thought of just leaving it - not without asking the question anyway.

As for self cancelling stalks, I remember the BMW 5-series that didn't have one... The only idiots in that situation were the designer... And the guy who didn't ask the question "Is it ok to leave it like that?"

Some things are just meant to be there!

£190 for a dash panel?, have they come down in price? The last one we fitted to an Octavia was closer to £400.

I think it's the hazard switch. It may be too much dust. When my indicators went crazy to my Octavia the dealer putted out the hazard switch and cleaned it, also he pulled a little the pins positioned at the left and the right edge at the back side of the switch. Since then no problem except the loud clicking.

Don't be afraid there is no way to harm your dash panel. It is very soft.

Unfortunately Fabia and MK 1 Octavia indicators work from a different system. The Octavia utilises a £30 flasher unit/hazard switch, whereas the Fabia indicators go through the central electrics control unit, so can be potentially a lot more expensive to sort out should they go wrong.

• 2 years later...

OK my indicator problem happens intermittently.

Hazard lights work fine left indicator fine its only the right thats not playing ball.

I have renewed the indicator stalk this afternoon then this eve used the car and right indicator still wont work,

It works fine when key is in but not when i turn on engine.

Anyone got any ideas

PLEASE

Thanks in advance Peter

No issues, just the loss of indicator click, and possibly warning bleeps

Possibly some sort of SOUND GENERATOR IC plus a small speaker would suffice . power it via a regulator to match required voltage from RH & LH indicator lines ,using a diode in each leg ? Alternatively , If you're handy with a soldering iron, Maplin do an oscillator kit based on the 555 chip ( componants and board ), so yuo'd only need a speaker and a couple of diodes in the power leg . Lot cheaper than £190