Curve Projector Headlights

The Plumber

Hi all,

just looking for views from those with an Elegance spec Monster as to the worth of headlights that follow the curve of the road. The reason for my interest is I'm tentatively thinking at upgrading the wife's Corsa to an Fabia II FL while there still interest free & vat free on the go. Unfortunately the funds won't stretch to a second Yeti which would be emoticon-0103-cool.gifemoticon-0106-crying.gif

The Curve Projector Headlights inc corner fogs are on the options list at £221 (standard halogen); are they worth this outlay emoticon-0112-wondering.gif or should I just go for the corner fog at £76 (an option I have on 'PAT' that I like).

Thanks in advance,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

TP,

might this not be better in the Fabia section??

Hi Llanigraham,

yes agree this might seem the wrong forum but I don't think there are many Fabia's running around with this feature, hence asking the SMOC as it's standard on the Yeti Elegance albeit with xenon bulbs.

Regards,

TP

I've just driven 25 miles on dark unlit and bendy country roads.

At or around NSL the advantage of curving headlights is probably minimal - if I'm driving at that speed the visibility will be good. Otherwise I'll slow down!

On the tighter, slower bits the lights come into their own.

I was sceptical to start with. The first few times I drove with cornering lights the effect felt a bit weird - now I just like it. The effect is subtle, but it's akin to peering around the corner before you get through it. I find it illuminates the road around the bend surprisingly effectively.

I would suggest that if you drive on unlit roads quite a bit that these lights are a positive thing to have for visibility. If you mostly drive in lit areas there's probably no advantage. Would I pay £200 odd for them...? Having now had them, I probably would, as it suits my driving requirements.

I was even more sceptical of cornering fog lights until I tried them. For slow speed manouvering in the dark they are really quite useful and do help with peripheral visibility. Would I pay £70 odd for them...? Probably not, but I like them as part of the package.

For what it is worth, I like the curve bending xenons, but would not have paid extra for the curve bending. I do not miss the cornering fogs, which are not included as part of the Xenon package here.

I drove my Elegance standard spec for the first time at night yesterday. when i switch the headlights on they seem to perform a 'little dance' before levelling off at the correct height. Can anyone explain why? Also do they corner on this model or is that just the fog lights??

Sorry to be thick but I keep discovering stuff which simply wasn't mentioned in the brochure!

Noige - the Yeti does a self-test of the self-levelling and cornering functions at start-up. My X-Type used to do the same (just in the vertical plane) but I've not noticed the XF doing the same.

TP - another thumbs-up for the cornering function, at least if you regularly drive on dark country lanes - good to have it back after my Citroen SM back in the '80s, and I wish the XF had them. Cornering fog lamps I am less convinced about.

Oddly enough, I was looking at the Roomster last night in case I come over all sensible when I stop doing my 110 mile commute at the end of the month. It seems to have many of the Yeti's good qualities (in particular the excellent ride and handling) and now has the 1.6CR diesel - and of course a non-xenon curve-projector light option. As Madness said, "...it's not quite a Jaguar..." but still...

Mark

I've nicknamed the lights on the front of my Yeti "The Christmas Tree"

The Daylight Running lights are great, the corner fogs are quite strange and get very odd looks from pedestrians - but I do see the value (expecially trying to get onto the drive at night!)

I had Xenon's on my previous two Octavias and got quite used to them doing their "power on" self leveling up / down tests.

The Yeti takes this to a new level with both up / down and right / left tests - its quite fun watching them!

I'm looking forwards to trying them on a bendy road in the night to see the value of the bending option - upto now I've only driven on Motorways and in Town, so not seen the benefit yet.

I drove my Elegance standard spec for the first time at night yesterday. when i switch the headlights on they seem to perform a 'little dance' before levelling off at the correct height. Can anyone explain why? Also do they corner on this model or is that just the fog lights??

Sorry to be thick but I keep discovering stuff which simply wasn't mentioned in the brochure!

Hi Noige,

There doing a self test before finding the correct position to how the vehicle is set at start up. The Elegance xenon headlights move to follow the road (curve projector) depending on steering angle and speed. They are also self leveling i.e. they will adapt to having a car full of people and luggage for example.

You also have corner fog lights; these don't move, just illuminate. So turning or indicating left (up to 40kph with headlights on) then the left fog comes on and vis versa for right. In reverse then both front fogs come, so you can more clearly see where your putting the nose while turning..

Regards,

TP

Understand the self leveling process - how would that cope with my situation? I park on my drive and that's quite a slope then the road is flat.

Would it then redo the self leveling once I'm on a flat surface??

Thanks in advance.

ernieb

Understand the self leveling process - how would that cope with my situation? I park on my drive and that's quite a slope then the road is flat.

Would it then redo the self leveling once I'm on a flat surface??

Thanks in advance.

ernieb

I think the levelling is done by measuring the "height" of the car at front and back, not the angle of inclination.

Eg. If you've got four anvils in the boot, the rear will be (quite a bit) lower than the front, and the lights will be angled downwards to compensate.