Strange noise from behind the glove box

Don't know if anybody can help me with this but it's worth a go.

I've got a 2004 1.9TDI 130 Comfort Superb which has a fairly quiet but annoying noise coming from behind the glove box when I switch the ignition on (the engine doesn't have to be running). The noise is ther most of the time and it sound almost like a computer hard drive whirring and clicking. I've had the glove box out and can't see anything there but the noise seems to be deeper than I can access.

I've tried having the climate on/off and tried all other electrical bits but no luck.

Anybody have/had similar experiences?

Thanks.

Sounds very much like the temperature flap positioning motor (I think that's it :S ) going to the great motor factors in the sky.

I had this in the Octavia and it drove me mad for weeks. It sounded like the clicking and whirring you mention, or a mouse scratching around in the glovebox :rofl:

And like yours, it was just with the key turned, it didn't need the engine running. Check for error codes and that should tell you. It's not damaging, just bloody annoying, and I'll warn you now, it ain't cheap to fix unless you do it yourself.

I was lucky and had a warranty so it got done under that, but the motor was £86 and at the same time they replaced the relay or something, which was £75. And then it was 2-3 hours labour because they have to take the dash out to get to it. It came to nearly £300.

I did post about it on here but I can't find it now as it was over 2 years ago. Good luck with it :thumbup:

I don't think that it will be the temperature flap motor as that is in an even more tricky to reach place nearer the centre of the car and it sounds like a grandfather clock - someone else's description but a very accurate description! Over at the glove box side will be another flap motor the recirculating one, which is easier to reach I believe - I didn't want you rushing off to buy the wrong part. VCDS will reveal all if you run tests and look at live data graphically as you should see it "hunting" aimlessly.

I know a little bit about this as my temperature flap motor loses the plot frequently, I've bought a new one from VW but have yet to work up the will to remove the dashboard!!

Edited by rum4mo

Sounds very much like the temperature flap positioning motor (I think that's it :S ) going to the great motor factors in the sky.

I had this in the Octavia and it drove me mad for weeks. It sounded like the clicking and whirring you mention, or a mouse scratching around in the glovebox :rofl:

And like yours, it was just with the key turned, it didn't need the engine running. Check for error codes and that should tell you. It's not damaging, just bloody annoying, and I'll warn you now, it ain't cheap to fix unless you do it yourself.

I was lucky and had a warranty so it got done under that, but the motor was £86 and at the same time they replaced the relay or something, which was £75. And then it was 2-3 hours labour because they have to take the dash out to get to it. It came to nearly £300.

I did post about it on here but I can't find it now as it was over 2 years ago. Good luck with it :thumbup:

This definitely sounds like the culprit, like you said, it sounds like a mouse in the dash. If it's not doing any further damage then it can continue to be a pain in the ar5e, I'll just turn up the music!!! :yes:

I think you'll find it's the heater motor, is it more like a creaking noise that sounds like something fouling something else but still being able to push by it?

Thanks for the reply, it doesn't creak or scrape. Looks like it's this temperature flap positioning motor thing. :thumbup:

• 10 years later...
On 24/02/2021 at 14:41, Skodaoctoviaestate2008 said:

Anyone has a short cut for this solution, or a good instruction to repair it? 

There are many motors in these that fail in varied ways, and varying levels of difficulty.  Some of them involve removing the dash and heater matrix, some the glovebox, some can be removed without taking anything else out, but involve the dexterity of houdini and a complete lack of self-preservation of knuckles... You need to identify which failure you have first.  VCDS can often tell you which.

• Love it! 1