Wjich car should I choose...? Superb or Seat Exeo

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum but would like a bit of advice with choosing my new car.

I get to choose my new company car soon, and out of a small choice of 6, I’ve narrowed it down to either a Seat Exeo Sport 2.0Tdi 143 or a Skoda Superb SE with the same engine.

Before I changed jobs my previous car was a Leon FR CR Tdi, which was a great car, and I previously owned a mk2 Toledo, so I rather like the Seat brand. But I’m tempted with the Skoda as it’s a more modern design, bigger and more practical (I can put the dog in the boot...), still meant to be good to drive and its comfy and I like the design of the interior. However, the Exeo is better equipped (especially if the company will let me add the tech pack (leather and satnav)) and probably sportier and more fun to drive.

I appreciate that I may get a slightly biased answer (but I’ll ask the same question on SeatCupra.net) but which car do you think I should go for, and more importantly why? Has anyone driven both or also had to choose between the two?

It’s a shame that the Elegance version is not on the list, because that would help me make my mind up! (But then so would the Tourer version of the Seat...)

Many thanks

Rob

Thanks for the replies so far, but would love also hear from someone who looked at both.

Just been looking at the skoda website and it says the SE has "Bluetooth phone pre-installation" but the brochure indicates that it does not have bluetooth?

Can anyone shed any light on this, had bluetooth on my last couple of cars and it will be very hard to live without it now!

Thanks

The seat as already stated is based on the old A4. I have not been in the Exeo but I did have an A4 for over 2 years.

I liked the A4 as a car, but I have to say I was the only one who did. Anyone that got in the car complained about the lack of space, rear passangers more so.

I now have a 10 plate Superb Estate 170 DSG. SE and I have to say, I think that it is far better than the A4 in almost every way.

The comfort and space are beyond comparison, and if you have kids to take around with you the rear seat space and legroom is amazing, nobody can believe how much room you have in the back.

I know my car is still new, 6 weeks old, almost 6K on the clock, but so far it is the quietest and smoothest car I have had, and I have just changed from a 320D BMW.

As for the bluetooth prep, it does not come with bluetooth, or a phone button on the steering wheel. What i believe this is, is the shark-fin Aeriel which is wired up with an amp IF you want to use it at a later date.

I did not take the bluetooth option for several reasons, one being the R SAP design that would not work with my blackberry. Instead I got a parott fitted, which is great, also plays and controls my i pod. Works great, mutes the radio, voice dialing etc and works with any phone.

I also considered the Exeo but quickly ruled it out, one reason was the fact that it is an old design and seat have said it is only a stop gap model whilst they design an all new mid range car, and secondly the cramped passenger compartment.

Lastly as you said you also have a dog the skoda must be the way to go. If you are going for the saloon version you have the best of both worlds, a standard boot for everyday use and the convenience of a hatch when you want to put the dog in the back.

Hope this helps you to make the choice that is right for you. :thumbup:

The seat as already stated is based on the old A4. I have not been in the Exeo but I did have an A4 for over 2 years.

I liked the A4 as a car, but I have to say I was the only one who did. Anyone that got in the car complained about the lack of space, rear passangers more so.

I now have a 10 plate Superb Estate 170 DSG. SE and I have to say, I think that it is far better than the A4 in almost every way.

The comfort and space are beyond comparison, and if you have kids to take around with you the rear seat space and legroom is amazing, nobody can believe how much room you have in the back.

I know my car is still new, 6 weeks old, almost 6K on the clock, but so far it is the quietest and smoothest car I have had, and I have just changed from a 320D BMW.

As for the bluetooth prep, it does not come with bluetooth, or a phone button on the steering wheel. What i believe this is, is the shark-fin Aeriel which is wired up with an amp IF you want to use it at a later date.

I did not take the bluetooth option for several reasons, one being the R SAP design that would not work with my blackberry. Instead I got a parott fitted, which is great, also plays and controls my i pod. Works great, mutes the radio, voice dialing etc and works with any phone.

I also considered the Exeo but quickly ruled it out, one reason was the fact that it is an old design and seat have said it is only a stop gap model whilst they design an all new mid range car, and secondly the cramped passenger compartment.

Lastly as you said you also have a dog the skoda must be the way to go. If you are going for the saloon version you have the best of both worlds, a standard boot for everyday use and the convenience of a hatch when you want to put the dog in the back.

Hope this helps you to make the choice that is right for you. :thumbup:

What kind of answers did you think you would get when asked here ? :giggle:

Of course Exeo is based on that older A4, but then again, Audi is "premium", skoda is not.... :giggle:

The best thing that you could do is to try them both properly, and then make up your mind. Everyone doesn`t need as much space, for example, as superb provides. To most people even Exeo is spacious enough.

But I would go for the new superb, because it is so....new. :thumbup:

Cheers for the replies.

I was quite taken with the Superb Estate I looked at the other day. It's the hatch that is on my car list which I'm not so keen on the way it looks from the back (but then the Exeo is no looker!) and do I really need a car this big? However, there's no getting away from the fact that it is a great car. I've not driven one yet, but I had a passat for a week recently and would expect it to drive in a similar manner (any thoughts...).

When I looked at the Exeo, it felt very familiar (probably because the seats in the Sport version are the same as my old Leon), but it was a button fest on the dashboard and it all looked a bit old fashioned. Plus, whilst I do not need loads of space in the back I was surprised at how small it was for the size of the car.

I will leave my final decision until I get confirmation from work, but I'm leaning towards the Skoda. My ideal car would be an Octavia VRS Estate, as this would be the perfect balance between the practicality I need for the family and the performance I would like for me, but frustratingly its not on the list!

I looked at both before ordering a Superb, although the truth was I’d probably made up my mind first. My thoughts were pretty much the same as the others voiced here. Much more space in the Superb, and a newer model. What responses did you get over on the Seat forum?

Cheers for the replies.

I was quite taken with the Superb Estate I looked at the other day. It's the hatch that is on my car list which I'm not so keen on the way it looks from the back (but then the Exeo is no looker!) and do I really need a car this big? However, there's no getting away from the fact that it is a great car. I've not driven one yet, but I had a passat for a week recently and would expect it to drive in a similar manner (any thoughts...).

When I looked at the Exeo, it felt very familiar (probably because the seats in the Sport version are the same as my old Leon), but it was a button fest on the dashboard and it all looked a bit old fashioned. Plus, whilst I do not need loads of space in the back I was surprised at how small it was for the size of the car.

I will leave my final decision until I get confirmation from work, but I'm leaning towards the Skoda. My ideal car would be an Octavia VRS Estate, as this would be the perfect balance between the practicality I need for the family and the performance I would like for me, but frustratingly its not on the list!

But you can get the Superb with the same 170 BHP engine , and its awsome , even for its size

Ahh, you've answered my question...which would have been why not go for the vRS estate. Plenty of room in the boot and plenty of boot from 0-62. But, if it's not there, it's not there !

I looked at both before ordering a Superb, although the truth was I’d probably made up my mind first. My thoughts were pretty much the same as the others voiced here. Much more space in the Superb, and a newer model. What responses did you get over on the Seat forum?

Interestingly, I would say the responses on the Seat forum aren't as enthusiastic...

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273186

If it was my money I'd go for a sportier car, but the company only has a list of 6 cars, the Skoda, Seat, Avensis T4, Passat, Seat Alhambra and an Audi A3. The Audi has the 170bhp engine that I would prefer but is only a basic trim so I'd have to pay for a lot of options.

I'm not keen on how the back of the Skoda looks, but on balance, I think its the best car on the list, gets great reviews and is clearly well liked by its owners!

I'll have a final look before I choose but at the moment the Superb is top of the list!

Many thanks for your advice

Rob

Like many I don't love the look of the back of the Superb. My recent choice was similar to yours. I quite like the look of the Exeo estate but, just like the A3's that I looked at (and the TT we're considering for my wife) I didn't like the fact that the older Audi designs still use the older Audio units and A/C controls whereas in the Superb you get a nicer dash and the newer touchscreen audio system and A/C controls etc.

From the drivers seat - where you spend your time driving and it doesn't matter how ugly the car is! - I felt the Exeo rode a little worse than the Superb (18's instead of 17's though, and a shorter wheelbase?) but didn't feel any more or less sporting. Having done 4k miles in the Superb now over a mixture of roads I certainly don't find the Superb wanting dynamically at all - as with most modern cars it has, if anything, an excess of grip and roadholding, and is still pretty fun to hustle.

Also, my car is an October 2009 Superb 1.8TSi SE for which I paid £14,650 for when it was 5 months old with 4000 miles on the clock - nothing else came close for price.

Regards,

Justin.

• 1 month later...

Hi well previous to the superb I had the altea,great around corners like all the seat's but its a different kettle of fish on the open roads,the suspension is hard and unyealding were as the superb is not exactly on tracks around corners it still goes around them ok,but its on the a roads and motorways you will see and feel the difference, plus seat's after service is not great.