SAC (Speed Awareness Course)

Yunalesca

I was driving through a 40 limit the other day... at least I could have sworn it was a 40 right up to the point that the camera flashed. :doh:

Completely my fault and sure enough a few days later the form came through that I dutifully fill in and send off. I recieve a letter today from Northant's finest that I can attend a speed awareness course and save myself a fine and the points on my licence.

Needless to say it is booked, but I wondered if anyone has been on one and what is it like? I don't believe the bit about 'we won't treat you like a criminal' as I broke the law. Okay, it was more negligence than on purpose but still I'm hoping this course is worth it to keep my licence clean. :(

I got one in excatly the same situation, was a touch annoyed, although I did go back and they were quite obvious 30 signs.

Course was not at all patronising, entirely aimed at trying to improve your driving.

i attended the course about 3 years ago for 72 in a 60, overtook a lorry didnt see the camera car, the course wasnt that bad, its run by a advanced motorist group down here, and i found it very educational, much better than 3 points!

The wife went on one in Bristol a few months ago :devil: . Found it very usefull, not at all patronising , run by driving instructors . Make sure you know where course is held and turn up early. One person turned up a few minutes late as he did not know the area and they turned him away , given one more chance to turn up on time or he would get points.

You will have to pay for the course as well. £60 to £70 I believe. It's best to go on Trackday and speed as much as you want.

If you have been on one of these courses, did they mention what percentage of fatal incidents (not collisions; that implies an actually planned contact even more than accident does something totally outwith the control of those involved does) were caused by speed?

If so, what percentage did they nominate?