Air con not cold

2001 VRS, air coming through the vents is ambient temp, if not warmer :(

If I set the climatronic to Lo auto, the pump spins, the fan comes on and the revs fluctuate slightly.

Went for Kwik Fit's recharge or no charge, the 2004 Leon in front of me had the disintegrated clutch on his pump, and the mechanic demonstrated what it should look like on mine to the owner.

The machine removed a fair bit of gas indicating there are no leaks, and re-gassed.

Still same problem :(

Just regassed, and as it was relatively cool by the time I left, just before 6pm, it felt ok.

I've dug out the trusty old laptop with VagCom and hey presto:

Climatronic

1 Fault Found:

01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)

37-00 - Faulty

As someone said on the ukmkivs forum, the aircon will still work regardless of this fault.

The air con pipes in the engine bay are not cold despite the pump and fan kicking in.

However, after whipping out the glove box, and dropping the fan out, the recirc flaps where stuck shut. If you press the recirc button, the flaps will move when helped manually. Anyway, left them in the fresh air position as I never use recirc anyway. Started the engine with the fan out, and set the climatronic to lo. All of a sudden the pipes and matrix are freezing to the touch. The pipes under the bonnet are now cold. The air coming through the vents is ice cold! Joy! But after leaving it off for a while and coming back to it, warm again.

Am I correct in thinking that if climatronic gets the aircon pump and fan kicking in, these pipes in the engine bay should be cold regardless of the rest of the system?

This has to be a pump problem right?

After reading another thread, I've checked the 14mm nut in the centre of the pump clutch is turning at the same speed as the pulley, and when I checked the nut was tight it was turning the pump.

mmmm, don't k-f do/offer a deal if they can't make the car cooler by 10% (or something) then they don't charge....... me thinking bad things :giggle:

How difficult was dropping the AC assembly out then ???

I got the flap fault and the noise drives me mad, I just want to disconnect the power tio the flap and leave it open

Glove box and kick panel out, move the thick loom out the way if poss. It's tight down the very left of the dash. There's two connectors, top is temp sensor, bottom is for the motor, but try as a might I couldn't disconnect the plug. I just 'helped' the flaps into the fresh air position while pressing the recirc button. The motor won't open them again if I accidentally press recirc. Fan removal is easy, 2 phillips screws underneath and it slides down and out. This gives easy access to both flaps. I originally went in under the pollen filter but couldn't budge the flap.

mmmm, don't k-f do/offer a deal if they can't make the car cooler by 10% (or something) then they don't charge....... me thinking bad things :giggle:

Yeah I should get a refund actually, cos I told them it wasn't working before they started.