Company car drivers

Just about everyone I know with a company car has had the free fuel sting - even if they can prove they dont/repaid the firm they work for. Ours being one, and the way we repaid means squat - simply buying some fuel now and again. Seems unless the receipt you have has the vehicle reg, and ideally mileage on it (meaning you need a personal fuel card), or proof you repaid the firm at the gov fuel rates per mile, then you'll be pretty screwed.

We have receipts for buying our own fuel, but taxman says they could relate to anything and isnt proof.

They seem to be vetting quite heavily to obv try and rake in funds, and catch people out with their declared private mileage. Also for folks who claim they dont use their vans for private.

Everyone at ours has been done, and the firm dont seem keen on helping for some reason, rather letting us fend for ourselves. ****s

You've been warned!

They pick on the odd person and go through every journey for the 10,000 miles.

I've not been that unlucky yet. In fact the tax office has changed my tax code to compensate for the claim every year. This means I don't have to fill out their stupid form.

As I say, everyone I know that has a company car has had the same thing happen to them. Latest being sister in law, who phoned me tonight knowing I'd already had it happen to me.

Possibly an IR trick to get in extra cash? After all, it'd only take one mile unaccounted for and they'll uphold the free fuel.

I have now opted out of the company car scheme, but the last two companies I worked for didn't provide a fuel card and paid business mileage at the government rates. This means we pay for all fuel ourselves and claimed back the business miles which stops this problem... More and more companies appear be be going own this route...

we had an email from the fleet manager saying the company now wanted start postcode and end post code for each job. Im a field based engineer so ive basically said stuff you im not doing it.

The other engineers are in revolt over it and are refusing to do its all a load of crap as someone got caught out giving a low private mileage.

We use fuel cards with reg number and mileage at each transaction so its all loged (but if you give the cashier a funny mileage number you can make any number up for business miles)

I log all my start and finish mileage and record all my private miles but its now not enough from my company so i told the area manager that as were all being treated as dishonest its not a good working relationship anymore!

I await to find out what will happen now weve all submitted our mileages without proof.

If your firm tracks all your jobs, then they have the records.

The issue comes if you're audited and mileages between jobs dont tie up. So say you're on your way to a job and it's cancelled, and no record is kept. If you cant account for it as work, it'll be deemed as private. And if it's not been documented.......

spot on - i said if i have to go the office to pick parts up its not logged on the system or if i have to meet engineers up to pick parts up again its not logged. My argument is why should i be made to do extra paperwork when im not the one whos falsified his mileage.

I dont officially have to declare my private mileage as i dont have a company car so its only business mileage for the tax man now.

Don't forget that thing left on the Treasury office "there's no cash left -we've spent it all" -is becoming all too true and HMG are trying to get all legal cash in ..and of it's not a business expense -it's not offset able - unlike some Members expenses .So sorry ,guys , you're paying for the "culinary accountancy" of certain members of the elected fraternity .They can't claim for a birdbath in the back ( at their second home),now -so why should you be able to justify a mile detour for a chip dinner . :no: :no:

After all "Mr boiled on non healthy oil 's chips " are the same price as the "healthy eater chippy" ,but you don't use more fuel to get there . And of course - the resultant health consequences don't get factored in by the bean counters ,because they haven't worked out/taken it onto consideration .

Edited by VWD