EGR valve

stumbled across something called and EGR valve. just wanna know ppl always complain that its gunked up inside is there anypoint cleaning it?

stumbled across something called and EGR valve. just wanna know ppl always complain that its gunked up inside is there anypoint cleaning it?

depends on cars mileage and how bad its clogged...take the intercooler pipe off and av a look....then disconnect the egr so it cant function....then do the crankcase breather mod and your engine is not getting anything but nice fresh air inside it...

Edited by warwick hunt

depends on cars mileage and how bad its clogged...take the intercooler pipe off and av a look....then disconnect the egr so it cant function....then do the crankcase breather mod and your engine is not getting anything but nice fresh air inside it...

can you explain to me in idiots style what the crankshaft mod is cos i tried it today and want to know if i have done it right

plus what gains can i expect

Let me help where i can !

give you a better understanding of everything

the EGR valve = exhaust gas recirculation

the purpose of this is to reduce emmisions

it does this by re using exhaust gas and mixing it back into the engine, this lowers peak combustion temp and reduces emissions a considerable amount

the absence or presence of the EGR valve should not affect engine logetivity

theoretically it lowers temperatures where there is lower cylinder temperatures thus less fueling !

if there is excessive carbon in the egr i would recommend it be cleaned ! there is no specific time scale for it to build up, its just one of them things unfortunately !

it builds up due to engine oil mist in the intake meeting the exhaust gasses. this mist comes from the crank case ventilation

removing the egr valve will decrease intake restrictions and pumping losses ! thus creating more available power. it will also reduce the amount of build up in the intake mani.

all in all the gains a very marginal !

hope this helps

regards

Austin

can you explain to me in idiots style what the crankshaft mod is cos i tried it today and want to know if i have done it right

plus what gains can i expect

basically removing the pipe from the crankcase breather and plugging the pipe that went to the intake from the crankcase...then running a length of heater hose or similar from the crankcase down the back of the engine to the underside of the chassis and venting it to atmosphere...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/166233-gathering-interest-egr-delete-pipes/page__st__20

basically removing the pipe from the crankcase breather and plugging the pipe that went to the intake from the crankcase...then running a length of heater hose or similar from the crankcase down the back of the engine to the underside of the chassis and venting it to atmosphere...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/166233-gathering-interest-egr-delete-pipes/page__st__20

[/q

two things i would like to clear up

firstly which vacum pipe do i remove the one on the top of the EGR which connects to that UFO type thing or the one at the back which attaches to the plunger bit of the EGR? or do i remove and block both

Secondly and im sorry if i sound like an idiot for saying this but with the cranckcase mod surely venting it to atmosphere rather then back to the engine has an effect on the turbo as the air from the crankcase is full of atomised oil particles?

http://briskoda.net/...es/page__st__20

[/q

two things i would like to clear up

firstly which vacum pipe do i remove the one on the top of the EGR which connects to that UFO type thing or the one at the back which attaches to the plunger bit of the EGR? or do i remove and block both...Remove and block the pipe from the "ufo"

Secondly and im sorry if i sound like an idiot for saying this but with the cranckcase mod surely venting it to atmosphere rather then back to the engine has an effect on the turbo as the air from the crankcase is full of atomised oil particles? Thats the reason the mod is done..to stop the oil vapoured air entering the engine..

isnt a rubber pipe its a metal pipe from exhaust manifold...with top one disconnected the plunger cant work...

im fulla confusion now. atm i have the one from the plunger disconnected (rubber) and the one to the ufo connected (rubber) i cant see any metal pipe could you show me any fotos

remove the rubber pipe from top of the egr and blank the pipe off !

simples

regards

Austin

ok done this but just to ease my mind what does the rubber pipe thats connected to the side at the back of the EGR(plunger) do?

ok done this but just to ease my mind what does the rubber pipe thats connected to the side at the back of the EGR(plunger) do?

post-57655-12784519893968_thumb.jpg

is this right?

post-57655-12784519893968_thumb.jpg

is this right?

yes but..

use sumthin smooth to blank it as air can escape round the spirals...and there is no other rubber pipe connected to the egr...theres a metal pipe connected underneath it that carrys the exhaust gases...(how it is on my 2006 blt engined model).

Edited by warwick hunt

Guest BigJase88

ones on the top and one goes to a plunger valve on the side at the back ;)

far better flow with an egr delete plus it looks the part

Edited by BigJase88

but doesnt the one on top open the plunger?

thats where im confused cos the one on the top dunt seem to do much when u excuse my wording 'suck on it' bit when u suck on the rubber connected to the plunger the plunger moves

argh which one do i remove haha, i think we need to solve this and get some descent fotos up for everyones sake

thats where im confused cos the one on the top dunt seem to do much when u excuse my wording 'suck on it' bit when u suck on the rubber connected to the plunger the plunger moves

argh which one do i remove haha, i think we need to solve this and get some descent fotos up for everyones sake

i only know bout the one on my car which has the BLT engine...you cannot see the plunger move on mine as its inside the egr....

The ASZ engine has two vacuum lines to the EGR, as one controls the EGR, the other controls the anti shudder valve which on the ASZ engine is part of the EGR assembly.

On BLT engines, the anti shudder valve is an electrically controlled unit that sits in between the EGR and the top boost pipe.

So is it possible for the anti shudder to fail on an ASZ and not throw up any lights, whilst the EGR keeps working fine?

How bad is said "shudder" and when would it occur.. Low and high revs perhaps?

Is the anti shudder and anti stall the same thing?

Edited by Rob.